Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the day a japanese high school kid struck out ruth, gehrig and foxx

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/11/20/...-in-succession
    great Story about a japanese kid striking out ruth, gehrig and foxx in succession in an exo. he was offered to come over to Play in the Majors but he declined and later died in WWII.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/11/20/...-in-succession
    great Story about a japanese kid striking out ruth, gehrig and foxx in succession in an exo. he was offered to come over to Play in the Majors but he declined and later died in WWII.
    Sounds like the kid had potential, but we don't know how seriously Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, etc. were taking this exhibition. My guess is that they were floored by seeing a high school kid on the mound.

Comment

Sawamura was really good in Japan as the three no hitters would indicate. I'm sure he was helped by the fact he'd seen the major leaguers and they hadn't seen him. Maybe the first guy or two didn't take him seriously, but I'd think pride would have kicked in after that, and it still wasn't enough for the next few batters.

Sawamura did start to have what appears to be some arm trouble (common enough given Japanese training methods and usage patterns such as relying very heavily on aces to both start and close out close games, with 3 pitchers often having over 75% of the team's seasonal IP) They had quite a few 400+ IP in a season pitchers through the 60's, despite few seasons of more than 135 games. He served his country in WW II and gave his life in doing so.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X