Horsehide or Cowhide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsehide or Cowhide?

It seems that there will be an added variable in the WBC. According to the article, most players on teams in Pool A (China, Chinese Taipei, Korea, and Japan) are having difficulty adjusting to the WBC baseballs (made by Rawlings) that have a cowhide covering. They are accustomed to horsehide balls.

I don't know if the two types create different hitting results, but if they don't, then there's an easy solution -- Allow each team to choose which type of ball they will use when they are playing defense. I doubt this will happen though.

So don't be surpised if you see some balls flying into the stands before they hit a bat.
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Everything was chosen by MLB to favor the USA squad. Groups composition and bats, balls and rules of the tournaments such as pitch counts.

Do you realize that Venezuela, Dominican R., Puerto Rico and Cuba may be playing among each other in the second round?

You also have Australia, Holland, Panama and maybe Italy who are not cake walks either.

Compare that to big China, Little China and South Africa. No misrespect for these teams and fans but they are not as strong as other teams though one may build the case for Little China.

How about the balls? Japan uses Mizuno and I think Cuba does too because the Embargo. The two balls are differents. This may affect the pitchers and how the grip the ball.

What others think?
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 02-20-2006, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubano100%
      This may affect the pitchers and how the grip the ball.
      A few of the pitchers prefer the more slippery cowhide - Yakult Swallows closer Hirotoshi Ishii told Japanese reporters "It is a lot better for my breaking ball."
      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X