Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny Ramirez is not playing in the WBC!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Ramirez is not playing in the WBC!!!

Wow!

While Manny Ramirez will be showing up late on March 1 for the Boston Red Sox, he won't be showing up at all for the World Baseball Classic.

"You know, from our perspective, we'd love to ... you know, we want to support the Baseball Classic but it's actually a plus for us that he's coming here March 1st and not playing there," owner John Henry told ESPN 890 in Boston on Thursday.

Henry added that the team did not ask Ramirez to pull out of the event, The Boston Globe reported.

If Ramirez had played in the WBC for the Dominican Republic team, he would have had to report to the Dominican team on March 2, meaning he would have spent exactly one day in Sox camp before March 20, when the event ends. Instead, it appears Ramirez will spend the entire month of March with the Red Sox in Fort Myers.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldc...ory?id=2342169
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Manny is not playing in the WBC and not one comment for the BBF members?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
      Manny is not playing in the WBC and not one comment for the BBF members?
      He is not the first big name player to pull out. Is he going to say later that he wants to play after all?

Comment

Manny being Manny.

I had heard that he wasn't playing in the WBC...but then Enrique Wilson said that Manny will be playing in the WBC. Papi also stated that if Enrique says Manny will be there to count on it.

But then again...we all know Manny.
        The guy changes his mind everytime he blinks.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

The World Championships are going to be about as exciting as a late season Devil Rays game considering the majority of the all-star calibur players are jumping ship.

The contest in theory and hopes would be amazing but when just one of the best are absent the joy of watching is lost by so many.

Comment

I think Manny can still be persuaded to play--provided that the right people say the right things.

What I have not heard--granted the Boston sports media do not reflect Dominican viewpoints that extensively--is an outcry from Dominicans. I heard a lot of griping when A-Rod said he might play for the US. "...not a real Dominican...no sense of culture and pride...etc." Now, arguably the only other hitter as good as A-Rod says he won't play (worse, he lets John Henry say it for him: "this will work out great"--great for everyone other than baseball fans and the DR), and where are the upset Dominicans?

I am a Red Sox fan, and not Dominican, and I should be happy about this right? Wrong. I think the best should be play in the WBC. But Manny willl not listen to people like me. He needs to hear it from his countrymen. You get a chance to play for your country, and you do it. This is not a war. He is not being sent to Vietnam. This is flippin' game, but it happens to mean a whole lot to a whole lot of people, including the people of DR.

Regret is one of the worst emotions. If Manny joins the other spoiled brats, greedy pigs and steroid abusers (take your pick with Sheffield) who are sitting out, he will quickly realize that he turned his back on a rare, unmatched opportunity to make his country feel proud. Maybe Papi and Enrique Wilson can explain it to Manny.

Comment

Well if anyone can convince that nut named ManRam it's Papi and Enrique...otherwise...I think Encarnacion will do fine in LF! I'd even take WilyMo!
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

THe WBC really needs to be played in July or October.

Comment

I could go with the WBC in July.
                  Play the WBC instead of the All-Star game....but extend the All-Star weekend to an entire week.

Any listening to WFAN right now?
                  Chris is on there saying no one cares about the WBC....I dunno wth he's talking about...but he's lost his marbles.

Comment

I think that not everybody necessarily thinks the tournament is a good idea, but I sure do!
                    2015 ROTY Donald Anderson

Comment

Another blow....

...Vlad "the impaler" Guerrero is out of the WBC now too. I will refrain from my usual griping, as Vlad lost family members and we all, I'm sure, extend our condolences to him and his family at his moment of need.

But, this only underscores the petty stupidity and selfishness of the other players, who have no bona fide reason not to play.

Comment

Well seems like the Dominican team is dropping like flies.

Pedro...Manny...Aramis..Vlad.

I'm just waiting for news on Tejada and Pujols withdrawing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonus
                          Another blow....

...Vlad "the impaler" Guerrero is out of the WBC now too. I will refrain from my usual griping, as Vlad lost family members and we all, I'm sure, extend our condolences to him and his family at his moment of need.

But, this only underscores the petty stupidity and selfishness of the other players, who have no bona fide reason not to play.
                          I don't see any bona fide reason why the players should play in this tournament. They should be more concerned about getting ready to play for the teams that pay them in the upcoming season.

Comment

Perhaps you are right. These guys are so much richer than us, why should they bother trying to represent us in an international competition, even though must of us would give anything to have the talent that they do. Screw the Dominican Republic and Japan. They have other plenty of other things to make themselves happy. Plus, international competition, like the Olympics and the World Cup, are totally overrated--spring training is much more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonus
                              Plus, international competition, like the Olympics and the World Cup, are totally overrated--spring training is much more important.
                              Unfortunately there are many who truly believe this!! h
                              "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X