Yu Darvish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yu Darvish

Would you be excited if Yu Darvish, the Japanese baseball sensation and superstar came to the MLB? I certainly would, thats for sure. He plays for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, and is the main star in Japanese baseball now, as well as the best pitcher.
    MySpace Codes

Here are some images of him...

And he has a blog too, on his career..
    http://yudarvish.blogspot.com/
    MySpace Codes

Comment

Yes

I love it when the Japaense players I've watched over in Japan come over here to the states, so of course I would like it. But if I remember right he is young, and several years from his posting date. I might be wrong, but that's what I thought.

Comment

There are already rumors of him coming to the MLB, and the MLB have said they would be interested. Send Clemens or Bonds over as a sweetener lol.
        MySpace Codes

Comment

Apparently he has a lack of respect for authority, and is a bit of a rebel. Can't see the Yankees coming in for him then...
          MySpace Codes

Comment

rules

I understand the MLB would be interested, but it doesn't work like that. They can't just trade for him or send players. Looking at my 2007 Japan Pro Baseball Media Guide it says Yu Darvish was entering his 3rd year. So he has 4 more years before Nippon Ham has to worry about posting him, and six or so before they have to worry about losing him.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit312J View Post
              I understand the MLB would be interested, but it doesn't work like that. They can't just trade for him or send players. Looking at my 2007 Japan Pro Baseball Media Guide it says Yu Darvish was entering his 3rd year. So he has 4 more years before Nippon Ham has to worry about posting him, and six or so before they have to worry about losing him.
              I know, I was joking, hence the lol. i know the score. It's a shame, but thats the rules I suppose.
              MySpace Codes

Comment

Originally posted by Unit312J View Post
                ... So he has 4 more years before Nippon Ham has to worry about posting him, and six or so before they have to worry about losing him.
                I thought Japanese players could be posted at any time?

Comment

Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
                  I thought Japanese players could be posted at any time?
                  They can--but there's a powerful incentive for the team to keep him until he's close to free agency--they want to have fans in the stands and not just be a MLB feeder. That means that as a practical matter guys won't be posted until they're within two years of free agency.
                  Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                  Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                  A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Looking at the second photo in that set...I dunno...he gets his pitching arm side elbow up VERY high. Not borderline like Johan Santana or Josh Beckett either. VERY high. In pitching mechanics, that's called hyperabduction. Hyperabduction tends to lead to chronic elbow problems.
                    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                      They can--but there's a powerful incentive for the team to keep him until he's close to free agency--they want to have fans in the stands and not just be a MLB feeder. That means that as a practical matter guys won't be posted until they're within two years of free agency.
                      We'll see how powerful that incentive is when the Red Sox or Yankees dangle a $100 million posting fee for Darvish in front of Nippon Ham. That kind of dough buys a lot of pigs.

Comment

If they're seeking that money, they'll try to get it several years from now while putting fans in the stands in the interim. Teams (like the Yomiuri Giants and Hideki Matsui) have chosen not to post a player they had a real chance at losing. If they post him and those kind of numbers aren't forthcoming in the bids, they're in a terrible spot to keep face. Besides, there's the whole issue of playing to their own fans and avoiding being a MLB feeder. The NPB power structure doesn't want that, and I can't blame them. Given the way Japanese culture favors the group over the individual, it's hard to see a team breaking ranks like that. It's possible you could be right, but how many people are lining up to bid $50 million or more for Darvish? Until that happens, your point is moot, and even if it does, it might well be moot until he's within two or three years of free agency.
                        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                          ... Besides, there's the whole issue of playing to their own fans and avoiding being a MLB feeder. The NPB power structure doesn't want that, and I can't blame them. ...
                          But isn't that basically what the NPB has become? MLB might not have as many Japanese fourth outfielders and relief pitchers as it would if Japan was truly open for business like the D.R., etc., but MLB seems to have almost all of the superstar-caliber Japanese players (with Darvish an exception).

Comment

Not quite--not yet. They get to hold their stars for the first nine years, and I just don't see them giving them up many years early. That's a sure recipe to becoming nothing more than a MLB feeder. Having guys for 9 years, and keeping most of the guys who can't pitch or start in the field in MLB (often in their 30s) gives them a solid product to sell to the Japanese public. If they sell off the stars too early, that product will be much more diluted.

Comment

He isnt going to the States anytime soon as mentioned before he may get posted closer to his free agency period. Not only the team has an investment in the players but so do the major corporations here in Japan.

Just FYI Hideki Irabu was hated in Japan for his lack of respect and arrogance. The Yankees knew it too and he still was on the team.

Yu is not the typical Japanese player he is rebellious and he shows emotions on the mound. I think he is 2-0 with a no hitter not sure.

Jailbright is quite accurate in his information.
                              Shut your mouth when you're talking to me!
                              Leon says to Rameek, "Wait...you bothered to keep score? Didn't know your golf bag came with a calculator."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X