MLB Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for those living in Europe:

How much MLB baseball is televised in your country?
    Does your Nation's league get any of its games televised?

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post

For the first question: You have to pay for a special channel and baseball shares that channel with other American sports. The coverage of baseball is fairly good on that channel from what I've heard but still not as comprehensive as would be desireable.

For the second one: Absolutely diddly squat coverage of the Irish league. There used to be a radio channel which would give the results of the games but I don't think they do that anymore and last year there was a feature on the final of the Irish league in a sports magazine supplement in a Sunday paper but the artcle didn't even have the final score which goes to show how seriously they were taking it.
      Last edited by Padday; 03-29-2008, 05:10 PM.
      Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Comment

I have a subscription to NASN, so I can see about 250 live games if I want to.

The Dutch public television broadcasts MLB, but in general they start with summaries in July/August. In general they show summaries of the World Series, but we have had years that they did not.

I hope now that they will show some more because of Rick van den Hurk is starting the season in the Show.

Comment

Originally posted by Padday View Post
          For the first question: You have to pay for a special channel and baseball shares that channel with other American sports. The coverage of baseball is fairly good on that channel from what I've heard but still not as comprehensive as would be desireable.
          Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
          I have a subscription to NASN, so I can see about 250 live games if I want to.

The Dutch public television broadcasts MLB, but in general they start with summaries in July/August. In general they show summaries of the World Series, but we have had years that they did not.

I hope now that they will show some more because of Rick van den Hurk is starting the season in the Show.
          Do you think that if an MLB game were to be broadcasted once a week on free television that interest would increase in Ireland and The Netherlands? I believe it definitely would. What about the Dutch League games are they televised Yank?

Comment

Do you think that if an MLB game were to be broadcasted once a week on free television that interest would increase in Ireland and The Netherlands? I believe it definitely would. What about the Dutch League games are they televised Yank?
            Sometimes during the normal season. But most of the time when the play offs start, they show summaries of those games.

To give you an idea, how the Dutch television is dealing with baseball:

Last year's world cup. The Dutch reached the semies and all of a sudden, the Dutch television had to negotiate with the Taiwanese TV to obtain the rights to broadcast the game vs. the US.
            Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 03-29-2008, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I think MLB is approaching Europe properly. Every year more Europeans are signed. Ten years ago, I did not even know baseball was played in Europe. Now Vandenhurk is a Marlins starter and Maestri from Italy is apparently more than enigma. Bert from France is apparently highly thought of by the Dodgers which was written about in the NY Times. I saw this on mister-baseball.com. Little league baseball has partnered with European baseball to advance the game. MLB conducts clinics in Europe frequently as cited by mister-baseball.com. Eventually, MLB will open the season in Europe. Baseball will never be the most popular game in Europe because other sports enjoy generations of fans, but I think eventually Europe will produce quality players. Will the cricket establishment and the media ever allow baseball to flourish in England?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                I think MLB is approaching Europe properly. Every year more Europeans are signed. Ten years ago, I did not even know baseball was played in Europe. Now Vandenhurk is a Marlins starter and Maestri from Italy is apparently more than enigma. Bert from France is apparently highly thought of by the Dodgers which was written about in the NY Times. I saw this on mister-baseball.com. Little league baseball has partnered with European baseball to advance the game. MLB conducts clinics in Europe frequently as cited by mister-baseball.com. Eventually, MLB will open the season in Europe. Baseball will never be the most popular game in Europe because other sports enjoy generations of fans, but I think eventually Europe will produce quality players. Will the cricket establishment and the media ever allow baseball to flourish in England?
                In the Netherlands and Belgium, baseball has roots that go back to, respectively, 1910 and the 1920-ies.

Even in Germany, where the game was introduced by the Americans after WWII, the game is played since the early fifties.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadutch View Post
                  .....in the Netherlands and Italy (the baseball hotbeds of Europe)........
                  Netherland Yes
                  Italy NO
                  btw surprise I am from Germany

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                  .....And in that way Holland can be challenged for an European title. And that would be good for European baseball.........
                  I think the Dutch had a good challenge last EC against us and Spain. We will see what happens in 2K10!

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins
                  .....How much MLB baseball is televised in your country?
                  Does your Nation's league get any of its games televised?.........
                  NO MLB in TV only if you take the NASN option you get some
                  No League games/reports or any public presens. Ok last German Series was on I-Net TV

The last couple of years there is a lot of talk about a Pro-European League with team from NL; I; GER, Spain and maybe France. I think this would be I first step to make a MLB supported European League with reprenstives from this countries. You can make it during the "regular Baseball time" and not in Fall.
                  I will support the idea of MLB Europe. They can bring some guys here to fill up the teams but please don`t do it like the NFL. They had no succes at all. They started the NFL Europe with teams in Scotland, Spain, Germany and Netherlands. Just had Americans playing and a couple of nationals. I think it has to be the otherway round. At the end there was only Germany left with 5 teams and NL with 1.
                  NFL was using a primium product and didn´t had succes they were out of Europe in 2 weeks. MLB is using a grasroots programm for years now and it works but the kids have to see their idols the start the Pro League over here soon!
                  The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Paula59 View Post

I think the Dutch had a good challenge last EC against us and Spain. We will see what happens in 2K10!
                    Yup. But they still won. I would like to see that change. Of course I want Holland to win, but it will spur European baseball if other countries than Holland and Italy will win the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
                      ..... Italy will win the title.
                      When will this be????
                      I don´t see them in the near future to win anything. They went down to B-Pool cause of their poor play. They only will play A-Pool next time because of a "BB Mafia" Agreement imO.

I still don´t know why they have been invited for next WBC! The only cause for me is that they have been invited last time and can´t get out of the pool. Maybe Amercian/Italian are easier to find especially in the NY area
                      The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

On a somewhat related note, I just want to say that http://www.mister-baseball.com is really an outstanding website. Its production is really slick. A terrific resource.

I wonder who's funding it. Does MLB have a stake?
                        Last edited by Rally Monkey; 03-30-2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I must agree about Mister_Baseball.com. I found about the site from The Talking Texan website http://www.thetalkintexan.com/. Doing a search on Baseball in Europe, I came across this site. I think he is a contributor to the M_B website. Happy Opening Day to everyone!! I believe it should be a National Holiday in the U.S of A.
                          Last edited by Beisbol41; 03-30-2008, 03:43 PM.

Comment

What sort of ballparks do they play on in Europe? I remember the MLB wanting to hold exhibition games in Europe a few years ago; no progress has been made since then, presumably because of the lack of suitable facilities (and I doubt that the major cricket grounds of the U.K. would allow their stick-and-ball rival to play games there).

Comment

Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
                              I'm not in favor of regular-season MLB games, let alone Opening Day, being played in Europe anytime soon, but otherwise anything to expand interest in MLB and baseball would be good.
                              I don't have a problem with an MLB game or two taking place in Europe, as they have in Japan. Why not, if it advances the game generally? That doesn't mean that "Opening Day" is happening in Europe or Japan; Opening Day is still the day that the full leagues get underway in their own ballparks.

Comment

MLB should find a suitable baseball stadium in Italy because of the warmer weather as compared to the Netherlands, expand the seating capacity and modernize it, then play a major league game there.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X