No announcement yet.

MLB Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is not about an Opening Day here in Europe (what I wanna welcome too) it is more about an MLB Europe League if I understood Canadutch rigth!

Whatever - MLB has to do something here in Europe during the regular Baseball time the weather will not allowe to play nice Games anywhere over here (maybe Spain) but you have to do it somewhere in the middle of Europe (Germany ;-) )
    But nowhere over here in Europe are MLB enough stadiums! If you built it they will come - but MLB(Clubs) have to help!
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

I've read that the Italian league has approach MLB several times to support a professional league in Italy, but that MLB hasn't responded. Part of the delay in making any deal, as I understand it, has been the Rome municipal government's failure to move forward in funding a baseball-only stadium in the city. It could be another year or more before the Rome authorities decide to build a ballpark.

I got this information from the excellent mister-baseball.com, but can't find the links now.

As for the Netherlands:

Originally posted by Paula59 View Post
      MLB has to do something here in Europe during the regular Baseball time the weather will not allowe to play nice Games anywhere over here (maybe Spain) but you have to do it somewhere in the middle of Europe (Germany ;-) )
      But nowhere over here in Europe are MLB enough stadiums! If you built it they will come - but MLB(Clubs) have to help!
      I'm wondering: Could the stadium where Ajax plays in Amsterdam--the "Amsterdam ArenA" or whatever it's called--be converted for baseball use? I know it's probably too big for a MLB Winter League. But maybe an MLB regular season opening day or pre-season exhibition game? And how about Gelredome?
      Last edited by Rally Monkey; 03-31-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I´ve been to a couple of places and been involved in european baseball for a long time now and I don´t see any stadium that will fit for MLB Seatwise and infrastructure-wise like locker rooms etc.

here are some links to stadiums in Italy
        http://www.parmabaseball.it/stadio.asp
        http://www.fortitudobaseball.com/home.html
        http://www.bbcgrosseto.it/stadio.php?lan=it
        http://www.nettunobaseball.net/Stadio.htm
        http://www.aviglianabaseball.com/indicefoto.htm

Netherlands
        http://www.amsterdampirates.nl/?pID=13
        http://www.hoofddorp-pioniers.nl/index.php?buttonID=27

Germany
        http://www.legionaere.de/ballpark/
        http://www.heidekoepfe.de/index.php?...id=4&Itemid=16
        http://www.dortmund-wanderers.de/ind...d=1&Itemid=132
        http://us.m8hosting.de/index.php?id=...&caching=false

My spanisch is very poor so I can`t find some links - but they have some nice Baseball field left that were only the training facilitys for the Olympics.

I think most of the big stadiums europe wide are only soccer only stadiums and you can´t play Baseball in them.

Comment

You seem to forget the Pim Mulier Stadium in Haarlem and the Neptunus Family Stadium in Rotterdam. Both have a capacity of 3000 and that can be extended to 5000-6000 with bleachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
            You seem to forget the Pim Mulier Stadium in Haarlem and the Neptunus Family Stadium in Rotterdam. Both have a capacity of 3000 and that can be extended to 5000-6000 with bleachers.
            Bleachers or not, I'm sure we'd all agree that this falls far short of what MLB would need for an exhibition game.

Here's an interesting article about MLB's interest back in 2003 of playing a regular season game or series in Europe:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0429/1546569.html

They had their eyes set, it seems, on Olympic Stadium in Rome. They even sent their top field consultant to take a look at it.

And then there's this: "Paul Archey, a senior vice president of Major League Baseball International, last month called Italy the 'front-runner' for the first major league games in Europe. While Florence and Palermo have baseball facilities, the commissioner's office would prefer to play in the capital, where games would create more of a buzz."

Nothing, of course, happened, and Paul Archey and MLB seem to spending their time these days looking at the Far East.

I have no idea what happened to MLB's interest in Rome, but Olympic Stadium's dimensions would make it a bit of a farce for baseball: something like 65 meters (213 feet) down the left field line. Almost as bad as the Los Angeles Coliseum was this past weekend in that Dodgers exhibition game!

Maybe MLB is waiting for the Rome authorities to build a more suitable facility. Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
              Bleachers or not, I'm sure we'd all agree that this falls far short of what MLB would need for an exhibition game.

Here's an interesting article about MLB's interest back in 2003 of playing a regular season game or series in Europe:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0429/1546569.html

They had their eyes set, it seems, on Olympic Stadium in Rome. They even sent their top field consultant to take a look at it.

And then there's this: "Paul Archey, a senior vice president of Major League Baseball International, last month called Italy the 'front-runner' for the first major league games in Europe. While Florence and Palermo have baseball facilities, the commissioner's office would prefer to play in the capital, where games would create more of a buzz."

Nothing, of course, happened, and Paul Archey and MLB seem to spending their time these days looking at the Far East.

I have no idea what happened to MLB's interest in Rome, but Olympic Stadium's dimensions would make it a bit of a farce for baseball: something like 65 meters (213 feet) down the left field line. Almost as bad as the Los Angeles Coliseum was this past weekend in that Dodgers exhibition game!

Maybe MLB is waiting for the Rome authorities to build a more suitable facility. Does anyone know?
              I know that it is waaaaay to small. But you asked about the Amsterdam ArenA. Well it is a soccer stadium, so that would mean a very short left or right field. Furthermore, if the games will be played in winter time, the soccer season is still running, so no way they will allow to put a mound on the grass in the ArenA. It is difficult already to have some good natural turf overthere.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                Will the cricket establishment and the media ever allow baseball to flourish in England?
                Rugby is even more dominant probably in England than Cricket and American football has been able to flourish.

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
                Do you think that if an MLB game were to be broadcasted once a week on free television that interest would increase in Ireland and The Netherlands? I believe it definitely would. What about the Dutch League games are they televised Yank?
                They did play some MLB games free to air to promote their NASN package but they played them at ridiculous times. Not many people who weren't already interested would be committed enough to make an effort to watch it. If they were to play a game at a reasonable hour every once in a while I don't see why more interest couldn't arise out of it.

As for the facilities problem, that will probably be the biggest obstacle. I would like to suggest Croke Park as a venue though. First off, it has an especially wide field: 288 feet. Second, the GAA kind of owes a debt as back in the forties the GAA played an All Ireland Football final in the Polo Grounds, it only seems fair that they return the favour. Third, I believe the GAA could have a lot to gain from hosting an ehibition game, especially if it were to include Boston or a New York side beause of the Irish-American link. It's a bit of a long shot really but why not?
                Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Comment

I think it is not about an Opening Day here in Europe (what I wanna welcome too) it is more about an MLB Europe League if I understood Canadutch rigth!

Whatever - MLB has to do something here in Europe during the regular Baseball time the weather will not allowe to play nice Games anywhere over here (maybe Spain) but you have to do it somewhere in the middle of Europe (Germany ;-) )

Yes this is about an MLB europe league Paula, MLB europe fall league at that. So it would be more like a minor league game, which would probably not need more then 3000-5000 seats.. and this is possible in Holland. During the Haarlem baseball week, and the World Port tournaments extra bleachers are brought in down the lines, creating room for about 3000.... But bleachers can also fit all around the outfield, in Rotterdam anyways. Which could potentially seat 6000-7000 then.

In october it's about 12-18 celcius (about 54-64 farenheit for the american readers), November is a bit cooler, but still not too shabby going between about 9-16, only freezing every blue moon. Very playable, some of the dominicans may complain, but what can you do. You just need to be able to handle some rain/drizzle.
                  -44-

Comment

Originally posted by Canadutch View Post
                    In october it's about 12-18 celcius (about 54-64 farenheit for the american readers), November is a bit cooler, but still not too shabby going between about 9-16, only freezing every blue moon. Very playable, some of the dominicans may complain, but what can you do. You just need to be able to handle some rain/drizzle.
                    Ah, now I get it. I'd assumed the idea was for a winter league like in the Dominican Republic or Venezuela. But, as I understand it, we're talking here about a fall league starting at the beginning of October. Like in Arizona. And according to http://www.weather.com, the weather ain't bad in Holland in October. Not so great, though, in November. But not terrible either.

So the plan may be for a 40-game fall league, beginning at the start of October and playing through the middle of November. (They'd have to schedule it around the Holland Series, I suppose.) No need for big ballparks, because we're only talking about MLB development players here. There'd be a large number of European players, I'm sure, but a majority would be Americans and other foreigners.

Assume there are 6 teams, like in the Arizona Fall League. What cities should they be in?
                    Last edited by Rally Monkey; 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, I know exactly which major stadium in Europe would be best suited for an MLB exhibition game: Olympic Stadium in Berlin. The stadium has an oval design, and the arcs that connect to the sides concentric to the turns of the athletics track are very broad. In essence, the Olympic Stadium in Berlin is quite reminiscient of the one in Montreal, as well as the old stadiums in Cleveland and Baltimore.

Imagine, then, that home plate is located where the javelin run-up meets the inner radius of the athletics track, and the diamond is oriented toward the stairs at the far end, which would also provide a handy hitter's background with if tarped over. Distance to the outfield fence in the corners would be approximately 260 feet, and with the fences going away sharply from the foul line the distances to the fences would dramatically increase. Build nets atop the fences in left and right, and a perfectly suitable temporary venue can be had. The only question would be how the promoters would attract 75,000 Germans to a baseball game.

Comment

Also, the Olympisch Stadion in Amsterdam could be set up for baseball in a similar orientation, and would be about 275 feet down the lines. It has a seating capacity of 31,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post

Yeah sorry Haarlem was my first choice but I didn´t found any ballpark pics.

Originally posted by Canadutch
                          Yes this is about an MLB europe league Paula, MLB europe fall league at that....
                          Ja I welcome every MLB activity here! But I think a Fall League won´t work out. October may be good weather but not longer. And you know: ... and sometimes it rains. I think Haarlem Stadium or Rotterdam or somewhere 7000 Seats won´t be enough for the fans over here for only a couple of games. For a longer period it will be enough.

Originally posted by Rally Monkey
                          So the plan may be for a 40-game fall league, beginning at the start of October and playing through the middle of November. ....
                          I don´t think that is going to work out.
                          IMO the best way is to start a league during regular summer time like the NFL Europe. Everythingelse won´t work out because of the weather and no domes at all.

Originally posted by Transplanted Fan
                          The only question would be how the promoters would attract 75,000 Germans to a baseball game.. ....
                          Ok we only have 25.000 active players and maybe the same number on fans. But with families, friends, supporters and fans from all over europe (especially Netherland) you will fill the Stadium for sure easily and nobody said that only Germanys are comming if you will have a game in Germany or only Dutch people if you play in the Netherlands
                          If you want to play only an Exhibition game and you don´t need a Ball Park you can take nearly every Soccer Stadium in Germany (and Spain, Italy, Netherland)
                          German Soccer Stadiums
                          this is the Schalke Dome http://www.veltins-arena.de/portrait_arena.php
                          FC Bayern Arena http://www.allianz-arena.de/de/fakte...onen/index.php
                          There are many other all over europe but I only with a lot of Baseball enthusiasm I will see a MLB Game in a Soccer Stadium and not in a Baseball Stadium.

Originally posted by Rally Monkey
                          .... called Italy the 'front-runner' for the first major league games in Europe. While Florence and Palermo have baseball facilities, the commissioner's office would prefer to play in the capital, where games would create more of a buzz."

Nothing, of course, happened, and Paul Archey and MLB seem to spending their time these days looking at the Far East.. ....
                          That is the Italian lifestyle - don´t answer and you don´t have to start working.
                          If this is true and Europe lost this chance because teh Italians didn´t do anything I am freaking out. Next time they better call Germany!

I don´t know why MLB has a crush on Italy that they support them with the Academy, WBC and like it sounds in the past with a game and facilyties for that.

Comment

I don´t know why MLB has a crush on Italy that they support them with the Academy, WBC and like it sounds in the past with a game and facilyties for that.
                            Because the MLB execs love to daydream about spending lazy summer days drinking wine and watching baseball in Bologna, and then jetting over to Lake Como to hang out with George Clooney. I'm sure it's the romance, not the market.

Coverted soccer-only stadiums would give up too many cheap homeruns down the line. 250 feet to the pole? That's not baseball...

What's the biggest baseball-only stadium in Germany?

Comment

I think the Dutch had a good challenge last EC against us and Spain. We will see what happens in 2K10!

Hey, hey Paula, have you heard officially that the next European Championships have been moved to 2010 instead of 2009? I heard they were talking about moving it back a year and giving it to Germany once Russia backed out. I know the CEB is meeting in Malta right now, but I had not heard anything official. I'll be broadcasting it for Stadeo so I'm curious. I know I'll be doing the World Cup in Italy, so moving it back one year wouldn't be too bad, but I hate having to wait another year

Comment

Originally posted by Unit312J View Post
                                I think the Dutch had a good challenge last EC against us and Spain. We will see what happens in 2K10!

Hey, hey Paula, have you heard officially that the next European Championships have been moved to 2010 instead of 2009? I heard they were talking about moving it back a year and giving it to Germany once Russia backed out. I know the CEB is meeting in Malta right now, but I had not heard anything official. I'll be broadcasting it for Stadeo so I'm curious. I know I'll be doing the World Cup in Italy, so moving it back one year wouldn't be too bad, but I hate having to wait another year
                                Sure they had, but they won anyway. I would like to see if another country would win it.

I don't think moving the EC towards 2010 is a bad idea. And an EC and a WC in one season is a bit too much next to the regular national competitions.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X