MLB Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    What's the biggest baseball-only stadium in Germany?
    Probably the Regensburg Legionaere Stadium http://www.legionaere.de/ballpark/
    if you include everything (seats, surrounding etc.)
    If you only go for the field size the 1. Bundesliga stadiums at Heidenheim, Bonn, Solingen, Cologne, Regensburg, Dortmund, Paderborn, Munich are pretty much the same. I don´t know exactly the sizes and I am to tired at the moment to check them out but the maybe 320 down the lines but with a little higher fence.
    Not as big as in the states but for first step enough!

Originally posted by Unit312J
    have you heard officially that the next European Championships have been moved to 2010 instead of 2009?
    CEB decided earlier that Russia isn´t Host for EC 2K09 - but another country (nothing decided so far but we want to have it) will not have enough time to organize it within one year left - so CEB said "let´s move it one year forward in 2K10" That is a good decission because european top teams have WC and EC in the same year and an off year the next year (like we have rigth now)
    We are allready have the Junior EC in 09 in Germany and maybe we host part of the 1st round WC in 09 so we can´t do it all
    That is the last "official statement" I heard and read so far about this and like it sounds to me and I know CEB it will be this way!
    I think Malta Meeting is over but nothing official was announced so far- At this upcoming weeking the German Federation has a regular Meeting with all Memberclubs and the Executive Committee.
    So I think I can tell you next week a little bit more.

How can you know that you are doing the WC in Italy? This was decided in Malta too! Do you have any info?
    You can contact me also via pm if you want to. I can give you my email then maybe a can help stadeo a little bit.

Have you´ve been on that opening dinner at Barcelona? I forgott the names of the three guys on my table. They were some Braodcaster and we talked about that they will do the WC in Taiwan. I forgott the names. Was that you?
    Last edited by Paula59; 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM.
    The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Paula59 View Post
      Probably the Regensburg Legionaere Stadium http://www.legionaere.de/ballpark/
      if you include everything (seats, surrounding etc.)
      That looks like a beautiful ballpark. It reminds me of some baseball parks I've seen in American universities. It looks like it seats approximately 1500 to 2000 people. And maybe some room along the lines and in the outfield for temporary bleachers?

So it looks like the largest baseball-only park in the FRG can seat up to 3000 fans or so. Right?

Does baseball have much of a following in Bavaria? I thought baseball's "hotbed" in Germany is Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Comment

That looks like a beautiful ballpark. .... It looks like it seats approximately 1500 to 2000 people. And maybe some room along the lines and in the outfield for temporary bleachers?

So it looks like the largest baseball-only park in the FRG can seat up to 3000 fans or so. Right?

Does baseball have much of a following in Bavaria? I thought baseball's "hotbed" in Germany is Nordrhein-Westfalen.
        Well I like all of the parks I named a lot. They all have their own character. But you are rigth the stadium is beautifull.
        I don´t know exactly but 1500 - 2000 seats should be rigth. You can go down on left field line with some stands but also can sit on grass if you want and picknick. Rigthfieldline is only possible until 1B because entrance facility managers house and cages are starting over there. In the whole OF it is possible to build up stands so you can make it easily I think up to 8-9000 Seats.

Last rumors I heard is that if we get the WC one of the destinations will be Regensburg and they will upgrade it for 4 Mil€ about 8$

In Bavaria Baseball is as big as in NRW but NRW got more inhabitants so the can recruit more players.
        Last edited by Paula59; 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Check out this article from MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Among many other interesting things (nearly half of MiLB's players are foreign born!) is this:

The 2008 regular season opened in Japan for the third time, and for the fifth outside the U.S. Plans are being made for regular-season games in Europe, and the World Baseball Classic is slated for its second run next March, with all four first-round venues outside the U.S. -- Tokyo, Toronto, Mexico City and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Comment

A regular season game? Considering all the criteria that would need to be satisfied for that (a regulation field, seating for 25-30K spectators), that limits the number of possible venues to a few of the major test cricket grounds in England: Lord's and the Oval in London, Edgbaston in Birmingham, and Old Trafford in Manchester. There's no way a game that counts in the standings would be played in a converted athletics stadium with dimensions similar to the L.A. Coliseum and Polo Grounds.

Comment

Some news are comming soon.

I don´t know how to attache a pps here so you have to check out by yourself and download the .pps about a European League in 2011 here http://www.baseballeurope.com/345/?t...ash=87ffd53951
              But this is not the MLB Europe League I guess!

You can also find a .pps about the WC 2009 in Europe an this site to download
              IBAF and CEB will announce next week the venues, pools, format etc of WC 2009.
              They will bring it to Europe because they will show most/all of IOC Members that BB is a global Sport and has a good development in Europe.
              Like I told before Regensburg will be the Host City for Germany with their Ballpark http://www.legionaere.de/ballpark/
              They are going to uprgrade it and I think after that it will be a venue for sure for a MLB Europe League Team

CEB will announce also that EC will be shifted to 2010. Host will be Germany. At the Moment we are in the first step and don´t know which citys will host the 2 pools. If it will not be at Regensburg I think these stadiums will be upgraded too.

That are the news from Europe so far. If I know anything new I let you guys know.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Fan View Post
                A regular season game? Considering all the criteria that would need to be satisfied for that (a regulation field, seating for 25-30K spectators), that limits the number of possible venues to a few of the major test cricket grounds in England: Lord's and the Oval in London, Edgbaston in Birmingham, and Old Trafford in Manchester. There's no way a game that counts in the standings would be played in a converted athletics stadium with dimensions similar to the L.A. Coliseum and Polo Grounds.
                Good luck to them if they were to try for those venues. I can't imagine any major football (soccer), rubgy (union or league) or cricket venue in the UK (or any other major sporting European nation) being given for use for those purposes because of time constraints (those venues host international as well as domestic matches) and I doubt any of the clubs that owned those grounds would assent to a mound of earth being built up on any of them (they need their fields to be as flat as possible) not to mention the dirt diamond that would need to be carved out of the grass. The fans (especially the football fans) would probably riot at the news too.

Comment

Thanks God MLB is returning in italian TV,SKY will brodcast NASN and this is great for baseball in Italy
                  because MLB is the best advertising for this sport.
                  http://www.fibs.it/news.asp?id_notizia=7854
                  In Italy the situation of baseball could be better ,but i think we should be optimistic.
                  This italian Championship will be the best championshp ever,a lot of players with MLB experience will play in

Italy (Frank Menechino,Manny Alexander,Nelson Cruz....) and there are 6 teams that can win the title (Grosseto

and Nettuno are favorite).
                  The italian ballparks are old but a big ballpark will be builded in Rome and Italy will host World Championship

in the near future.

Comment

Nice pictures. Could you tell us which stadiums are pictured? Thanks.

Comment

Grosseto Nettuno and Bologna and the "quadrifoglio" in Parma.

Yesterday first day of NASN in Italy was great,this evening LIVE Dodgers vs Arizona !

Great :applaud:

About italian transactions and signings here a link :

http://baseballnow.altervista.org/Sq...rcato_2008.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Piazza View Post
                        Grosseto Nettuno and Bologna and the "quadrifoglio" in Parma.

Yesterday first day of NASN in Italy was great,this evening LIVE Dodgers vs Arizona !

Great :applaud:

About italian transactions and signings here a link :

http://baseballnow.altervista.org/Sq...rcato_2008.htm
                        Are these clubs the only ones with stadiums like this? Or does every Serie A club have a stadium like that?

We have only two stadiums like this.

Comment

Rimini and Parma has great ballparks and there are also teams in the italian minors with goof ballparks.

Here there is a very interesting article about the future of the baseball in Italy and Europe (but it's in italian) :

http://doubleplay.wordpress.com/2008...tire-dal-2010/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Piazza View Post
                            Here there is a very interesting article about the future of the baseball in Italy and Europe (but it's in italian) :

http://doubleplay.wordpress.com/2008...tire-dal-2010/
                            That article contains a lot of very important information that answers many of the questions people have posed here about the MLB in Europe. Or at least I think it does. I don't speak Italian, but Google sort of does:

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG

As best as I can understand, here's the upshot: the Italian baseball league has submitted a proposal to MLB for its financial support of a professional Italian league. MLB dollars will be used to help pay for a full-time league front office staff and other costs of a fully professional outfit. MLB will expect the league to make a profit--and will use it to develop its own prospects (like its does with minor league teams here in American and in Mexico).

According to the article, MLB owners will vote on the Italians' proposal on May 30. If they approve the plan, a professional Italian league will begin in 2010.

But there's a rival plan out there. According to the article, the Dutch have proposed to MLB that it should help support a European League with teams in the Netherlands, Italy, and other countries such as Germany, Spain, and France. (Readers of this thread are no doubt aware of this proposal.) The Italians don't think much of the Dutch plan and expect it to be rejected by MLB. But then you'd expect them to say that, right?

It wasn't clear to me from the article, but the proposed Italian league would appear to be a summer league and not a fall league. From earlier posts here, it seems the Dutch plan is for a fall league. But I can't be sure.

The FIBS commissioner also appears to be confident that a baseball-only stadium in Rome will be built soon. The special election to fill the vacant mayor's seat is coming up, and the expected winner, Francesco Rutelli, supports the plan. This article implies that the stadium will be built (funded?) by MLB and managed by the Italian baseball federation. Original plans to build it in Tor Vergata--the site, as I understand it, of one of Rome's largest universities--have been scrapped. Instead, it will be part of the Fonopoli development, an entertainment project located on the city's outskirts.

The bottom line is that MLB appears committed to supporting a European league, and the question now is which proposal makes the most sense: Will MLB endorse the Italian professional league or will it support the Dutch plan for a European league? We might know by June!

(The remainder of the article is worth reading too. Of particular note is the discussion of the 2009 World Cup. It looks like an announcement will be made on April 15 that the tournament will be played in Europe. I can't tell for sure from the translation, but it looks like the opening rounds will occur in one or more of the following cities: Barcelona, Paris, Stockholm, Regensburg, Prague, and Moscow. The next round will be split between the Netherlands and Italy. And the final round will be in Italy in the new baseball-only stadium in Rome (and if that's not ready yet, in Nettuno). I don't think any of this is news to people who've been following news about the '09 World Cup.)

Great article!
                            Last edited by Rally Monkey; 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

The FIBS commissioner also appears to be confident that a baseball-only stadium in Rome will be built soon. The special election to fill the vacant mayor's seat is coming up, and the expected winner, Francesco Rutelli, supports the plan. This article implies that the stadium will be built (funded?) by MLB and managed by the Italian baseball federation. Original plans to build it in Tor Vergata--the site, as I understand it, of one of Rome's largest universities--have been scrapped. Instead, it will be part of the Fonopoli development, an entertainment project located on the city's outskirts.
                              I won't keep editing my last post, but I'd like to say more about this. I saw on another website (in Google-translated Italian) that this is the idea for the stadium in Rome: It will be built by MLB in Magliana, a suburb south of Rome, as a part of a city-funded entertainment, sports, and cultural complex. (Fonopoli refers to facilities in the complex that will host musical and other events.) Here's a map (without, apparently, the baseball stadium):

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=25.

The stadium will seat 5000 fans and, using temporary, mobile seating, will have the capacity to accomodate up to 30,000 spectators. The project has been held up by the sudden resignation earlier this year of Rome's mayor. But the likely winner of the special election supports the plan and, if it's built in time, the stadium will host the finals of the 2009 World Cup. It is also intended to be a venue that can be used to host MLB regular season games.

Here's something from a year ago that describes the project:

http://www.baseball.it/archivio/arti...5.asp?id=15425.

Okay, that's all the information that's out there. I think.
                              Last edited by Rally Monkey; 04-10-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

25000 mobile seats!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X