No announcement yet.

MLB Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, Rome is getting a new baseball with possibly exhibition or regular season games to follow.

Comment

The big problem is that soccer is tremendously dominant in europe. Here are some clubs doing good work, even going to schools and making baseball clinics there. Kids do like it but the problem is once a kid is rometly talented in sports he will go to soccer(you can't imagine how pouplar soccer is here even though I still hate it. THe popularity is like MLB;NFL and NBA combined and sadly all the talent gets there), because this is the sports where money and fame is. So basically other sports get "the rest".

Another problem is that baseball is not friendly to european standard:
      -too long games(esp at tv events lasting 1 to 1,5 hours are preferred)
      -many breaks and standing around at the field(my dad asks me if this is even a sport because you stand around at the field(or sit at the bench when in offense) most of the time and doing an occasional sprint
      -complicated rules for european standards
      Last edited by dominik; 02-23-2010, 05:32 AM.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Maybe if Alex Liddi and Alessandro Maestri make a major league roster that will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
          Maybe if Alex Liddi and Alessandro Maestri make a major league roster that will change.
          No it won't. Dirk nowitzki for example is as good in basketball as Arod is in baseball. He is one of the best players in the NBA and won an MVP award. And still there is no(zero minutes!) basketball in german TV! And italy is twice as soccer crazy as germany. Baseball is much more popular in italy and netherlands than in germany, but it won't become a big thing there. If a player of those countries would make the majors nobody would take notice.

Even if an italian player would become as good as babe ruth he would get some attention but he would still not be mentioned in the same sentence as alessandro del piero or so. That is the sad truth about baaseball in europe.
          Last edited by dominik; 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

There hasn't been much talk here or in any other source I'm aware of whether the plans for an MLB-supported league in Europe have stalled or are moving forward. My sense is that if the new league in Australia is successful, MLB will have a model for a European fall league. Remember: Peter Wemuth, the MLB-appointed CEo of the ABL, is a German.

Comment

If I remember correctly, I read on mister-baseball that those plans were postponed until maybe 2013. I don't remeber the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                If I remember correctly, I read on mister-baseball that those plans were postponed until maybe 2013. I don't remeber the reason.
                I think you refer to this article http://www.mister-baseball.com/categ...rlands/page/3/

Robert Eenhoorn is one of or the only one in charge of the planning operations for a so called European League. I donĀ“t know if MLB support is part of the plans or not.
                The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

anybody heard anything else about Romes stadium?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X