Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA101
    replied
    anybody heard anything else about Romes stadium?

Leave a comment:

• Paula59
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard View Post
    If I remember correctly, I read on mister-baseball that those plans were postponed until maybe 2013. I don't remeber the reason.
    I think you refer to this article http://www.mister-baseball.com/categ...rlands/page/3/

Robert Eenhoorn is one of or the only one in charge of the planning operations for a so called European League. I don´t know if MLB support is part of the plans or not.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    If I remember correctly, I read on mister-baseball that those plans were postponed until maybe 2013. I don't remeber the reason.

Leave a comment:

• Rally Monkey
    replied
    There hasn't been much talk here or in any other source I'm aware of whether the plans for an MLB-supported league in Europe have stalled or are moving forward. My sense is that if the new league in Australia is successful, MLB will have a model for a European fall league. Remember: Peter Wemuth, the MLB-appointed CEo of the ABL, is a German.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Maybe if Alex Liddi and Alessandro Maestri make a major league roster that will change.
    No it won't. Dirk nowitzki for example is as good in basketball as Arod is in baseball. He is one of the best players in the NBA and won an MVP award. And still there is no(zero minutes!) basketball in german TV! And italy is twice as soccer crazy as germany. Baseball is much more popular in italy and netherlands than in germany, but it won't become a big thing there. If a player of those countries would make the majors nobody would take notice.

Even if an italian player would become as good as babe ruth he would get some attention but he would still not be mentioned in the same sentence as alessandro del piero or so. That is the sad truth about baaseball in europe.
    Last edited by dominik; 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Maybe if Alex Liddi and Alessandro Maestri make a major league roster that will change.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    The big problem is that soccer is tremendously dominant in europe. Here are some clubs doing good work, even going to schools and making baseball clinics there. Kids do like it but the problem is once a kid is rometly talented in sports he will go to soccer(you can't imagine how pouplar soccer is here even though I still hate it. THe popularity is like MLB;NFL and NBA combined and sadly all the talent gets there), because this is the sports where money and fame is. So basically other sports get "the rest".

Another problem is that baseball is not friendly to european standard:
    -too long games(esp at tv events lasting 1 to 1,5 hours are preferred)
    -many breaks and standing around at the field(my dad asks me if this is even a sport because you stand around at the field(or sit at the bench when in offense) most of the time and doing an occasional sprint
    -complicated rules for european standards
    Last edited by dominik; 02-23-2010, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Apparently, Rome is getting a new baseball with possibly exhibition or regular season games to follow.

Leave a comment:

• ShawnC
    replied
    Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    In cricket, you know, there are three classes: the so-called "test" countries (the top cricketing countries that are qualified to play test matches--that is, multi-day games--against each other), and then the associate ICC countries that can qualify for the World Cup, and then all the rest.
    No, I understand that (thanks though). Australia, England, India etc. are "test" countries and Ireland, Netherlands, etc are "associate" countries and so on. I was wondering what the equivalent countries would be in the IBAF if such a system was used by the IBAF. For instance the test countries are where cricket is played to such a degree that it is widely recognized/established and considered at least one of the national sports, whereas in the "associate" countries (as you pointed out) cricket is just organized and the "affiliate" countries are those where cricket is played but not well-established or organized. So in the world of baseball, Japan and the USA would obviously be equivalent to India and Australia in having baseball as a well-established sport ("test" countries if you will), but which countries in the IBAF would be the equivalent of "affiliates" in the cricket world, where baseball is played, but not well-established or organized? And which ones would be the rough equivalents of "associates"? For instance I would think that in Europe, Italy would be the equivalent of an "associate" in cricket and Russia would be the equivalent of an "affilate" in terms of organization and establishment.

Leave a comment:

• Rally Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by ShawnC View Post
    Hmm......wonder what the equivalent countries would be in the IBAF, i.e. "associate" and "affiliate" countries?
    In cricket, you know, there are three classes: the so-called "test" countries (the top cricketing countries that are qualified to play test matches--that is, multi-day games--against each other), and then the associate ICC countries that can qualify for the World Cup, and then all the rest.

Leave a comment:

• ShawnC
    replied
    Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
    Obviously England is the locus of cricket in Europe. But it's well-established across the continent. The International Cricket Conference includes several European countires as "associate members" where cricket is organized. They're qualified to play in the ICC's Cricket World League and can move on to the World Cup. Here they are (not including crown dependencies of the UK): Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, and Scotland.

The ICC also recognizes so-called "affiliate members" where cricket is played (but not well-established). In Europe, these include several European countries.
    Hmm......wonder what the equivalent countries would be in the IBAF, i.e. "associate" and "affiliate" countries?

Leave a comment:

• Rally Monkey
    replied
    Where, in England or the rest of Europe? Is Cricket played in other European countries?
    Obviously England is the locus of cricket in Europe. But it's well-established across the continent. The International Cricket Conference includes several European countires as "associate members" where cricket is organized. They're qualified to play in the ICC's Cricket World League and can move on to the World Cup. Here they are (not including crown dependencies of the UK): Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, and Scotland.

The ICC also recognizes so-called "affiliate members" where cricket is played (but not well-established). In Europe, these include several European countries.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Where, in England or the rest of Europe? Is Cricket played in other European countries?

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    I think it's great that there is a substantial interest in baseball in Europe ... but I think the likelihood of it making serious headway there approximately equals the likelihood that cricket in the USA will one day be restored to the days when Bart King and the Gentlemen of Philadelphia could play British first class counties on equal terms ...

Leave a comment:

• Paula59
    replied
    How have you known this all before? Are you linked with Italian BB?

I am wondering about the plan to build a future MLB BB Site within under 300 days here is a count down http://www.baseballwm09.de/
    It becomes more specific because they not even started yet to build it, the place where it should be is not fixed yet - we will see how the italians will manage it

IMO the MLB money is wasted on this rome stadium even if you see that the Regensburg stadium will have the same capacity and will be ready to go for the WC. With a little help of MLB there would be much more possible at the Regensburg Site to set the needed standard for the Pro´s of MLB
    Only the weather is not that sunny like in Rome but therefor it is more central for Fans all over Europe

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X