No announcement yet.

Lasorda disagrees with Yanks owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wamby: Equating the WBC with patriotism is ludicrous at best and tasteless at worst.

agreed, man. nationalism and patriotism get mixed up all too often.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

wamby: I just saw a WBC commercial that pissed me off. Roger Clemens said "I'll be there for my country, will you be there for yours?"

maybe you missed it in today's news, wamby.
      clemens drove a few of his sons down to the local recruiter's office to get info on joining the military.
      and he drove another over to the nearest medical center to sign up for some volunteer work.

yeah, i think the whole "i'm playin' baseball for my country, how are you contributing?" is very misguided.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
        wamby: Equating the WBC with patriotism is ludicrous at best and tasteless at worst.

agreed, man. nationalism and patriotism get mixed up all too often.
        In my view:

Patriotism: good
        Nationalism: bad

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
          wamby: I just saw a WBC commercial that pissed me off. Roger Clemens said "I'll be there for my country, will you be there for yours?"

maybe you missed it in today's news, wamby.
          clemens drove a few of his sons down to the local recruiter's office to get info on joining the military.
          and he drove another over to the nearest medical center to sign up for some volunteer work.

yeah, i think the whole "i'm playin' baseball for my country, how are you contributing?" is very misguided.
          I don't think you need to join the military to be patriotic, but I think it would send a good message at this moment if a baseball star supported his kid joining the military.

Comment

I do not support my kids joining the military. I care about them going to a good college and earning a degree. You can send yours to kill poor people, Wamby. Mine will receive yours with college degrees and with high paying jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantPickle
              I do not support my kids joining the military. I care about them going to a good college and earning a degree. You can send yours to kill poor people, Wamby. Mine will receive yours with college degrees and with high paying jobs.
              Well said!
              Such a pity!

Comment

AT one level I agree with you, but I must say that the military helped me pay for my degree. Right now, however in my opinion, the miltary mission in Afghanistan needs to be fought.

A lot of veterans would probably take offense at your characterization of the military but I won't. My extensive training in killing poor people won't let me be offended.
                Last edited by wamby; 03-07-2006, 09:04 PM.

Comment

The military can help peope earn degrees and military vets are often favored for jobs. The military is often a stepping stone into a very highly paid career, jet pilot to commercial pilot, military doctor to civilian doctor, many people join the military because in a lot of cases they provide the best training there is to have, it's also good to mention there are many jobs in the military which will never take you near a battle, and those that do go into battlezones, are the brave few who are nessecary for the protection of our country.

I seem to be in a minority here though, in the fact that I like the WBC idea. Theres a few things I would change, but what's so bad about international baseball? To many in America it seems like useless exhibition games like the All-star game used to be pre-this time it counts nonsense. But like all of baseball, it's for fun. You play for a few weeks, winner gets a trophy, celebrates, and onto the regular season. I see nothing wrong with combining being patriotic and playing for your country. We each do our own things to support our country, so helping them to win in international competition is what professional althetes do. What must then be done is to prioritize. If you believe playing a game of baseball to be above or on par with military service, volunteering, chariable donations ect., then you have something wrong with you.

Even if you don't like MLB's marketing campaign tactics, can't you just see it's baseball? It's a fun game and now i get to see more games with the greats of the game playing. I'm not complaining. Right now Canada and South Africa are tied 3-3, and i just find this great. This is fun, exciting and a huge step forward for baseball.

Maybe it's just me.
                  "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                  -Don Fehr

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
                    I seem to be in a minority here though, in the fact that I like the WBC idea. Theres a few things I would change, but what's so bad about international baseball? To many in America it seems like useless exhibition games like the All-star game used to be pre-this time it counts nonsense.

This is fun, exciting and a huge step forward for baseball.

Maybe it's just me.
                    Not it is not just you (nice name by the way), and you are not in a minority. Even though there are thousands of message boards for baseball fans that think the world ends just south of the line the runs from Atlanta to the ugly, faux rock garden in Anaheim, a few diehards have camped out on this board to tut-tut the rest of the world.

Yesterday was a great day for baseball, with exciting, close games played with great energy in great atmospheres. It is obvious that this competition means alot to people from around the world, and the players too. The fact that a few Americans would rather watch spring training is not worth paying attention to.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X