best International players not under control to a U.S. team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best International players not under control to a U.S. team

who are some best baseball players in International baseball and who could we see in the MLB soon??

The list of really good players not under control to an MLB team is mostly limited to those from Cuba and Japan, with a few from Mexico and Korea as well.

The "soon" part is the problem, though: Only a few top Japanese players become free agents or are posted each year, while Cubans obviously have to defect and jump through paperwork hurdles before they can sign MLB contracts.

Aside from mentioning Yu Darvish, I'll defer to 'jalbright' on Japanese players. Some of the top Cubans include LHP Aroldis Chapman, 3B/2B Yulieski Gourriel and OF Alexei Bell.

Comment

I don't often get too excited about Japanese for the next season until playoff time. They can get hurt or sign with their own clubs during the season to take themselves off the market. Darvish is years from getting the chance.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Right. I basically dismissed the "soon" part of the original post and just mentioned a few good Cuban players. Aside from Darvish, I'm not sure who else would round out a Japanese Top 5 list.

Comment

Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
          Aside from mentioning Yu Darvish, I'll defer to 'jalbright' on Japanese players. Some of the top Cubans include LHP Aroldis Chapman, 3B/2B Yulieski Gourriel and OF Alexei Bell.
          Chapman was very unimpressive in 2007-2008; Jonder Martinez and Yulieski Gonzalez both pitched much better. Also, C Yosvani Peraza deserves notice I think - lots of power and walks.

In Japan, I'd say Michihiro Ogasawara, Hitoki Iwase, Norichika Aoki and Shuichi Murata are among the best the past few years. Old-timer Takeshi Yamasaki was impressive last season and is lights-out so far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mischa View Post
            Chapman was very unimpressive in 2007-2008; ... C Yosvani Peraza deserves notice I think - lots of power and walks.
            You think an obese 30-something-year-old DH would be in bigger demand in MLB than a 6-foot-5, 20-year-old left-handed starting pitcher who throws 99 mph?

Comment

Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
              You think an obese 30-something-year-old DH would be in bigger demand in MLB than a 6-foot-5, 20-year-old left-handed starting pitcher who throws 99 mph?
              Peraza's 29. I don't care about obesity - Cecil Fielder, Kirby Puckett, Babe Ruth, Yogi Berra and lots of other pudgy guys have walloped the ball in the majors. I care about production and Chapman's production has been inconsistent while Peraza's knocked the lights out of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mischa View Post
                Peraza's 29. I don't care about obesity - Cecil Fielder, Kirby Puckett, Babe Ruth, Yogi Berra and lots of other pudgy guys have walloped the ball in the majors. I care about production and Chapman's production has been inconsistent while Peraza's knocked the lights out of the ball.
                Not really. Chapman was 6-7 with a 3.89 ERA, a .200 opposing BA and he struck out 79 (and allowed just 55 hits) in 74 innings for a sub-.500 Holguin team.

Every team in MLB would line up for that kind of "inconsistent production" while probably 27 out of 30 would avoid Peraza because of his age, obesity and lack of position.
                Last edited by Agente Libre; 05-12-2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Hector Olivera,Yuliesky Gourriel,Yoennis Cespedes,Henry Urrutia
                  Yadier Pedroso,Gerardo Miranda

They should be main members of next WBC.though they might be unlikely to defect.

Comment

maybe Sidney de Jong???

I guess with this post I mean who could we see in the mlb down the road

maybe the top 12 players

Comment

Originally posted by siromaniyon View Post
                      Hector Olivera,Yuliesky Gourriel,Yoennis Cespedes,Henry Urrutia
                      Yadier Pedroso,Gerardo Miranda

They should be main members of next WBC.though they might be unlikely to defect.
                      Sorry, I didn't quite understand your post. Do you believe those players are likely or unlikely to defect?

Gourriel has traveled extensively without any hint of wanting to defect, and Urrutia is in a similar situation (his brother is a teammate and his father is his manager).

I don't know much about the backgrounds/loyalty of H. Olivera, Y. Cespedes, Y. Pedroso or G. Miranda. Thanks.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X