WBC Thoughts...So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC Thoughts...So Far

So far...I think the WBC has been a great success.

I only went into this thing waiting to see the Dominican games.
    But I found myself TiVoing the Cuban, American, and Rican games.
    Now I'm rooting for the Cuban team and would love to see them play Venezuela, DR and ESPECIALLY the American team.

I'm all for continuing the WBC...although at what pace I'm not sure.
    Maybe this could happen every 'other' year instead of yearly?
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Originally posted by TonyStarks
    So far...I think the WBC has been a great success.

I only went into this thing waiting to see the Dominican games.
    But I found myself TiVoing the Cuban, American, and Rican games.
    Now I'm rooting for the Cuban team and would love to see them play Venezuela, DR and ESPECIALLY the American team.

I'm all for continuing the WBC...although at what pace I'm not sure.
    Maybe this could happen every 'other' year instead of yearly?
    The WBC will not be played yearly. It will be played again in 2009 then every four years after that.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Every other year is pushing it, I think it should be every 4 years like the Olympics and the World Cups. It allows teams to rebuild, retool, reformat before they try again.

What I would like to see is maybe some regional qualifying tournaments held every 4 years two years before the next tournament(next year for the 2009 WBC, 2011 for the 2013 WBC). That way there is more global involvement and you could see more of a mix of teams rather than the same 16 teams every 4 years.
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I think it has been a huge success. I went to Orlando to cheer on Team Italia. The Dominican and Venezuelan fans were unreal. The stadium was louder than many of the football games I've been to. I'm definitely going back in 2009.

Originally posted by efin98
        What I would like to see is maybe some regional qualifying tournaments held every 4 years two years before the next tournament(next year for the 2009 WBC, 2011 for the 2013 WBC). That way there is more global involvement and you could see more of a mix of teams rather than the same 16 teams every 4 years.
        This is a great idea. However I don't think baseball is big enough in many other countries. Hopefully after a couple more WBCs baseball will spread enough to do this. I could definitley see it spread through out South America.

Comment

I just noticed one aspect ...or should I say I 'just' realized this.

But how did these Divisions/Brackets/Pools get made up?

Why is it that the US pool doesn't have a single worthy Latin team?
          I mean, not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but this seems like it was setup so the US could face one of the Latin teams only in the finals.
          As it is right the two best teams are in the same division and have to beat up on each other to eventually face the US....if they make it.

How did South Africa get into the US pool?
          Better yet, how did South Africa even get in invite but the Phillipines didn't get an invite? Colombia didn't get an invite?

Why didn't Puerto Rico get thrown into Pool B since there seems to be a theme with the exception of South Africa?

Even in the 2nd Round the US doesn't see the Dominicans or Venezuela.
          I've always been a believer that to be the best you have to beat the best...but if the US is getting wins against Mexico and South Africa...doesn't that cheapen them?

I'm not going to be too hard since I have loved every game I've seen and this is the first time around...but I'd like to seem some changes regarding the pools. Otherwise this could turn into the SuperBowl...where the best teams face off in the AFC Championship (Ven vs DR)...and not in the actual SuperBowl.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

No need to be a conspiracy theorist: the US's apparent free ride was quite deliberate, and they are within their rights as hosts. Remember the Canada Cup hockey tournament? Everyone but Canada used to have to fly back and forth (Montreal to Vancouver or Edmonton) for games.

Comment

Why is it that the US pool doesn't have a single worthy Latin team?
              Mexico isn't worthy enough? Someone better tell them that

I mean, not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but this seems like it was setup so the US could face one of the Latin teams only in the finals.
              No. It was set up to spread out so they could add more teams in the tournament. They were hindered by the Asian teams so they had to set up some sort of regional and global pool. South Africa and the Netherlands were the odd teams out in the "North American" and "Caribbean" pools. Pool D best shows how the brackets really should look and probably will look next time around- teams from multiple places.

As it is right the two best teams are in the same division and have to beat up on each other to eventually face the US....if they make it.
              The same could be said about the "Asian" and "North American" brackets. What happens in round one doesn't reflect what happens in round 2, the best teams will advance regardless of whether they previously faced each other or not.

How did South Africa get into the US pool?
              Better yet, how did South Africa even get in invite but the Phillipines didn't get an invite? Colombia didn't get an invite?
              They are in Pool B for the same reason that Austrailia and Italy are in Pool D- they are spreading the field out around the globe. Leaving a whole continent out just to add a Latin team is just moronic. Someone is left out so another team can participate- the same thing happens in the Olympics and every other tournament.

Why didn't Puerto Rico get thrown into Pool B since there seems to be a theme with the exception of South Africa?
              They host round 1 and 2, they are best left in Pool C and or Pool D than in Pool A or Pool B.

Even in the 2nd Round the US doesn't see the Dominicans or Venezuela.
              I've always been a believer that to be the best you have to beat the best...but if the US is getting wins against Mexico and South Africa...doesn't that cheapen them?
              You are insulting Japan and Korea there- those are just as good as the Dominican Republic or Venezuela.
              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Shoeless
                No need to be a conspiracy theorist: the US's apparent free ride was quite deliberate, and they are within their rights as hosts. Remember the Canada Cup hockey tournament? Everyone but Canada used to have to fly back and forth (Montreal to Vancouver or Edmonton) for games.
                What about Puerto Rico? They have the home field advantage in round 1 and two since the games are played in their "home" stadium! The same is true for Japan- their "home" stadium.
                Best posts ever:

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

You all make valid points.
                  Japan & Korea are equal the Dominican and Venezuela teams?
                  I'm sorry, but I can respect the Japan and Korean team but they are not as good the Dominican/Venezuelan teams.

I can say they maybe a notch or so below, but they are not on the same level. FYI, my intention is not to 'dis' or insult Japan or Korea.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

You all make valid points.
                    Japan & Korea are equal the Dominican and Venezuela teams?
                    I'm sorry, but I can respect the Japan and Korean team but they are not as good the Dominican/Venezuelan teams.
                    And you base that assumption on what? They are two of the best teams in the tournament, more than a match for any of the Latin teams. The only difference between them and Venezuela or the Dominican Republic are their names and where they play

I can say they maybe a notch or so below, but they are not on the same level.
                    From everything that I have read and heard they are not only equals but may be better than many of the other teams in round 2. If you think they are "less" than Venezuela or the Dominican Republic you are setting yourself up for a letdown in the third round.
                    Best posts ever:

Comment

I'm quite satisfied with the tournament, though I've still come up against the "disrupting the routine of the players" and "the best players aren't playing" arguments.
                      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

The WBC has been amazing so far for me... with the exception of last night's Pool B game. Also, the "injury threat" argument is a bunch of stuff I won't say here. They have just as much of a chance of getting injured playing in the WBC as they do playing in spring training exhibition games!

Comment

Yeah I think the tournament is going great. And the 2nd round will probably be even better. I agree that for 2009 there should be some kind of qualifying. Maybe the 8 2nd round teams this year could get a bye but the other 8 sports are up for grabs.

I think eventually what would really make it interesting is for the teams to actually start a training camp 2 weeks before the tournament starts. The US seemed to be treating the first 2 games as an extension of spring training and was almost disasterous. I doubt we would ever see that, but something like the WBC wasn't a reality til this year either.

Comment

Come on, Korea is as good as D.R. or Venezuela?

Name 3 players on Korea who compare to David Ortiz, Johan Santana, Miguel Tejada, etc.

Comment

I have to agree that Korea doesn't stack up to the Latin teams on paper, but that doesn't mean in a tournament like this that they couldn't beat them in a 1 game situation.

Once we get into the 2nd round any of these teams are capable of beating any of the others.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X