Arod "clutch" in US win over Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arod "clutch" in US win over Japan

Alex Rodriguez had the winning hit in the bottom of the 9th inning for team USA vs. Japan today. With the score tied 3-3, the bases loaded, and one out, and the pitcher having just struck out Ken Griffey Jr., Rodriguez stepped up and hit one up the middle to win the game 4-3!!!

This was a GREAT game to watch, it was close, it had excitement (and controversy to be sure). It shows that both sides were competitors, though personally I'm glad that the US won, but I wouldn't have been too disappointed if Japan won either (I want one or the other to win this thing).

Japan got off to an early lead, with a leadoff HR by Ichiro Suzuki in the 1st inning, but was tied up from HR's by Chipper Jones and Derek Lee in the subsequent innnings.

The controversy came in the top of the 8th inning. Japan was up and had the bases loaded with 1 out. There was a fly ball to left fielder Randy Winn. Winn easily got to the ball, and threw it to home plate, as the runner on third ran home easily. So the score at that point should have been 4-3 in favor of Japan, but the umpires were asked if the runner on third had left the bag early - before the catch. The original answer was no, until the home umpire came over and overruled the decision (incorrectly), saying that he had left third base prematurely, so he was out and the inning was over. Sodaharu Oh, the Manager for team Japan, came out to argue the call, but to no avail.

So let's see what people have to say about this game - the good and the bad.

I definitely think that Japan deserved that run in the 8th. Miserable umpiring decision. I hope that we see a rematch of this game in the semifinals.

Comment

you know what? even though i'm an American, but that call was outragous. You can't make sucha big mistake in national game like this one. In my opinion anybody could win that game, but if it wasn't for that error, odds are Japan would have won.

Comment

I watched the replay on ESPN Deportes, and it looked to me that the Japanese runner still had his foot on the base when Winn caught the ball, but barely, though. That call may have had "bias" written all over it.

Whenever I see A-Rod in situations such as that 9th inning rally, I think to myself "He's gonna mess it up somehow, he's A-Rod," but I guess that wasn't meant to be today. Go A-Rod and USA, but I still don't like him as a Yankee, though.
        Last edited by Knick9; 03-12-2006, 04:48 PM.
        My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Yeah, where is Efinfin98 the Red Sox fan that is very opinionated and do not have a clue about anything.

The USA team winning by a controversial call. Come on! I want you to use the same standards that you use to bad mouth the Cuban team.

Comment

It was a win, but not a feel-good win. The Japanese should have taken the lead. The announcers were almost apoplectic about it, and the impasse between the WBC and the Umpires' Union being basically at the root of it.

On the brighter side, it was great to see the fans so very much into the game. I think that bodes well for the future of the WBC.
            --Annie
            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by aarond23
              I definitely think that Japan deserved that run in the 8th. Miserable umpiring decision. I hope that we see a rematch of this game in the semifinals.
              I'm definitely hoping so - it was a truely great matchup.

Comment

Japan had that run and it would of been more exciting if it was a 4-3 ball game in the ninth. But thats why those umpires are not major leauge umpires.
                go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Us didn;t deserve to win that game but what do you expect the WBC will fall apart without the chance of a Cuba US final

Comment

Originally posted by Jake83
                    Us didn;t deserve to win that game but what do you expect the WBC will fall apart without the chance of a Cuba US final

The US still would have won, with that 9th inning rally, but it was still a bad call. And I would prefer to see a Japan vs. US game over US vs. Cuba - ANY day of the week - but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
                      The US still would have won, with that 9th inning rally, but it was still a bad call. And I would prefer to see a Japan vs. US game over US vs. Cuba - ANY day of the week - but that's just me.
                      But Japan had a rally in the eighth and they still would of been at bat if that play wasnt reversed so who knows how many runs they could of scored that inning. We may of had to come back from maybe a large defficet. Japan and the U.S. have very good talent on both teams and are about even i think. The game has too many "what ifs" but the U.S. still did win.
                      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
                        Japan and the U.S. have very good talent on both teams and are about even i think.
                        I watched most of the game and I heard the announcers say the same thing, that the two were evenly matched. So, with this statement, do most people think that Japanese baseball has completely caught up with MLB?
                        Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

Originally posted by torez77
                          I watched most of the game and I heard the announcers say the same thing, that the two were evenly matched. So, with this statement, do most people think that Japanese baseball has completely caught up with MLB?
                          I wouldn't go THAT far. It's probably pretty close, though. I think (but I'm not too sure) that the USA has a few more big stars that chose to sit this out.
                          sigpic

Comment

American Umpires should not have the call for a game that the USA is playing!
                            (minor-league or major-league umps)!

Comment

Japanese ball is still behind MLB. They are AAA+ at best.
                              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X