Team USA eliminated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team USA eliminated

Simply superb play by the Mexicans tonight in their win against Team USA allows Japan to advance to the next round.

The Mexicans outplayed the Americans in every aspect: pitching, at bat, and defensively. They earned it.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Yeah dissapointing for the American team no doubt about it. This team on paper wasn't particularly flawed. I really do think Martinez's hands were tied as the players and the GMs had a 'spring training' mentality that he could only play certain guys on certain days and for so long.

3 of the semifinal teams...Japan, Korea and Cuba started training in February while the US team was put together literally the weekend before the tournament started.

I think USA basketball is going to a system of only picking players that want to be there and will make a 2 year commitment. I know with the major league schedule it is much harder for American major leaguers to do that, so its going to be interesting what they come up with for 2009. I would like to see a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks training camp for this team in the future.

The only win they got in this round was partially due to bad umpiring.

I'm looking forward to Japan vs Korea Part 3 as well as DR/ Cuba....I'm sure all of those teams are too.

Comment

Post #2,000

I'm not surprised that the US was booted, we really didn't show a sense of "pride" like the other countries showed. Japan, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, and all of the other countries played for the national pride, not just for an "exhibition". Honestly our players are spoiled and catered to and they just felt they were so much better and we got our butts kicked. IMO the World Baseball Classic should be scratched because it didn't play out like it was hyped up to be, star players dropped out and the US didn't win, what a bummer.
      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Surely I wasn't the only one who noticed that as the U.S. players filed out of the dugout, one player remained at the railing, staring out at the field for a long time. "Flag or blood?"--was A-Rod regretting his choice?

Comment

Can't believe it!

When I first heard about the WBC I thought the US ( I am Canadian) would win hands down, what with their pitching depth. In my opinion they lost because they had at least fifteen pitchers that didn't want to play that sat on the sidelines. Those 15 pitchers are better then all the pitchers that took part in the wbc. I am shocked, stunned and disappointed that they lost 3 games in such fashion and are now on the sidelines. Wow what a disappointment!!

Comment

IMO the World Baseball Classic should be scratched because it didn't play out like it was hyped up to be, star players dropped out and the US didn't win, what a bummer.
            You have to be kidding? All the great baseball we've seen and give up because a few players drop out and the US doesn't win?

Does the US have to win an event for it to be worth watching? Its not enough to respect that the other countries are great teams capable of beating the US on any given day?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetswing
              When I first heard about the WBC I thought the US ( I am Canadian) would win hands down, what with their pitching depth. In my opinion they lost because they had at least fifteen pitchers that didn't want to play that sat on the sidelines. Those 15 pitchers are better then all the pitchers that took part in the wbc. I am shocked, stunned and disappointed that they lost 3 games in such fashion and are now on the sidelines. Wow what a disappointment!!
              Sorry about ur loss. But your statement about those 15 pitchers is way wrong, two examples: one is obvious that is Johan Santana, another is Pedro Luis Lazo of the cuban team who is much better then some of those american pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                I'm not surprised that the US was booted, we really didn't show a sense of "pride" like the other countries showed. Japan, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, and all of the other countries played for the national pride, not just for an "exhibition".
                And that is what made this tournament such a great and - dare I say it - vital event. It allowed the MLB "owned" foreign players to finally be able to represent their country and flag with pride, something that has been denied to them in previous international competitions (Olympics, WC, Intercontinental Cup). The people of USA always appeal to me as being very proud of their flag and country but this does not seem to apply to baseballers?

That USA did not win shows the strength of baseball outside USA, regardless of the so-called stars who elected not to play for team USA. I trust the comment that the WBc should be scrathed because of these reluctant 'stars' and that USA did not win was tongue in cheek!

How ironic that the team which finally eliminated them was the same team that eliminated them from the 2004 Olympics!!
                "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

when are all these organizations that select these "supposed" all star teams going to realize the "only" way for a chance to win in any sport is to send the teams that won the World Series that year or the team that won the NBA championships etc, etc ....would we not have had a better chance to compete with the Chicago White Sox or Detroit Pistons in the Olympics representing us ? btw, What was Al Leiter doing there ?

Comment

being very proud of their flag and country but this does not seem to apply to baseballers?
                    You are right downunder....USA baseball and national baseball has never been big in the USA...when Ben Sheets beat Cuba in 2000 made just a little blip and then this year in the WBC. The other competitions barely even get reported in the mainstream media.

USA Basketball had always been a bigger deal than baseball with the 72 Olympics fiasco and then the 92 Dream team....having it lose the way it did in Athens and the world championships before that was pretty shocking, but I don't think USA baseball has had enough of a following to really put a downer on the country or anything. The tradition just isn't there.

ETA: I follow USA baseball and I didn't even hear about the US loss to Mexico in the Olympic qualifying until I was reading a preview of the Athens baseball participants.
                    Last edited by aarond23; 03-16-2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Chicago White Sox
                      I don't think the White Sox would have done any better than this team did unless they started training about 3 weeks before they reported in spring training plus they would lose a few players like Freddy Garcia and Iguchi. I doubt that would be considered a legitimate team USA.

Comment

It was a good game.
                        Last edited by laee3; 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM.

Comment

laee3,
                          The Asian teams were clearly more prepared than the US by actually training and playing games before the tournament started rather than the weekend before.

I think Mexico was in the same boat as the US though by the team mostly just being put together a few days before the tournament started. The guys in the Mexico bullpen Rincon, Villareal, De La Rosa, Cortes are all decent major league pitchers.

Comment

Long time ago before the Classic started I wrote:

USA is going to be ambushed during the Classic.

Some in here replied to my comment with certain disbelief. Some of my reasons were:

1. Many Latin players were participating in the winter leagues keeping themselves in shape and seing live pitches. One person wrote to me: USA players keep themselves in shape during the offseason.

Nothing can be compared to seing live pitches and being part of the game.

2. The USA team will treat this tournament as an exibition one and a get
                            together party just like the NBA players representing the USA.
                            Why did the players report to Spring Training first and then left to join the USA team?

Just report to team USA and the coaches there will work on the same things that your Ball Club would do during Spring Training. USA should have begun training for the Classic earlier too.

3. How many USA players with more talent opted no to play in the Classic? Barry Bonds, Lance Berkman, C.C. Sabathia and so on.

Nothing can be compared to play for your country even more so when it is once every four years.

Now, two of the three teams that I was rooting for are out. Puerto Rico and USA. There is only one left for me.

Comment

I'm surprised,the american roster was full of great players.
                              I think many MLB players were out of shape and played like in an exhibition.
                              I hope now that americans want a revenge and another WBC will be organized,but i'm not sure.
                              Congratulations to asian baseball,they play a different baseball and impressed a lot.
                              Cuba,that was joked by some american journalists before the WBC,showed to the world that are like Brazil in soccer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X