Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 World Baseball Classic

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PR win tomorrow and you'll have Japan/DR in the semis, if not you'll have to chance it as being a final. Though that's how I see the final panning out.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

    Comment


    • I m tired of hearing commentators saying that the mlb players in the wbc are not quite ready yet because they have just begun spring training. These guys are supposed to be the best in the world the play for six long months of top notch baseball,then once the season is over they take four months off,and when they comeback suddenly they cannot perform at the level they are expected to play,after just four months off. If you know the wbc is coming the following spring and you would like to be part of it then maybe you should start getting ready earlier and not wait till February to start getting ready. I m not saying that the mlb players are fully ready by March 1st,but when you are supposed to be the best in the world then four months of vacation should not make that much of a difference. I believe that one the big reason that the U.S once again is not in the semis,is that the rest of the world is catching up to American baseball.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by wbcno1fan View Post
        I m tired of hearing commentators saying that the mlb players in the wbc are not quite ready yet because they have just begun spring training. These guys are supposed to be the best in the world the play for six long months of top notch baseball,then once the season is over they take four months off,and when they comeback suddenly they cannot perform at the level they are expected to play,after just four months off. If you know the wbc is coming the following spring and you would like to be part of it then maybe you should start getting ready earlier and not wait till February to start getting ready. I m not saying that the mlb players are fully ready by March 1st,but when you are supposed to be the best in the world then four months of vacation should not make that much of a difference. I believe that one the big reason that the U.S once again is not in the semis,is that the rest of the world is catching up to American baseball.
        Ever watched an early spring training game?
        Ever watched mid-season game?

        Did you notice any difference?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by USA09 View Post
          Congrats to the four teams who have survived to the final round. It will be a great final three games.
          Yep. Format quibbles aside, these do feel like the deserving teams.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by filihok View Post
            Ever watched an early spring training game?
            Ever watched mid-season game?

            Did you notice any difference?
            I think you missed his point. He was saying that MLB players are the best in the world, and if they start preparing EARLIER for the tournament, then they should be at regular season strength. That's what Japan does, and that's why they win.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
              That's what Japan does, and that's why they win.
              Given that the Tokyo round and the NPB season start earlier than the other side of the ocean, Japan is not doing it that early. If you want to talk about "being in shape" this time of the year, talk about Team Cuba.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by filihok View Post
                Ever watched an early spring training game?
                Ever watched mid-season game?

                Did you notice any difference?
                The funny thing is...

                DR, Puerto Rico and the Netherlands have the same schedule. Not sure about the Japanese, maybe they start earlier. But it can't be an excuse...

                The US underachieved...every edition and that's not good for the WBC.

                Comment


                • I think whoever the commish is in 2017 should make a few calls and demand that more American stars play. Harper said he will participate in 2017. I am thinking Japan again. Anyway, baseball in Puerto Rico should get a boost.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by desslok View Post
                    Given that the Tokyo round and the NPB season start earlier than the other side of the ocean, Japan is not doing it that early. If you want to talk about "being in shape" this time of the year, talk about Team Cuba.
                    Japan in 2009 started training programs in january of that year. I was in Japan and NHK always showed Darvish, Aoki etc training. Not as a team yet but individuals were getting ready. I think the first team practice as beginning of february so they had a full month as a team before the classic.

                    Venezuela didnt even practice as a team this until a few days before the classic.

                    Cuba because of their season are already in mid season form.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by cutchemist42 View Post
                      I don't mind the extra seeding game, just another game in a tourney that I feel is too short already, I wouldn't want it reduced further.

                      I also felt, just based on Tweets last night, that ALOT of people noticed last night's game. I would really be curious to see the tv ratings.

                      If you want more games, just make sure all games really matter. Seeding games are pointless, period.
                      Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

                      If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

                      Comment


                      • I'm going off on a rant right now...pay attention please

                        1. When it comes to the WBC, here's the thing....

                        Americans, as seen in some of the posts in the least few months, don't care about international competition. They think OUR leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) are the most superior leagues in the world and its where the best players come to play. While American football is really only played in 4-5 countries, the NBA is the clear-cut #1 League for basketball. MLB is #1 in the baseball pyramid, but you also have the NPB, KBO, CPBL, ABL and Caribe leagues to play in. Yes, MLB is THE league, but NPB is the #2 in terms of quality players.

                        Americans look at it as a glorified exhibition game. Take the World Cup for example: Americans only care when the US qualifies for the Knockout Stage. In basketball, they couldn't fathom how the US didn't win the Gold Medal in 2004 and how bad the Americans were at that time. When you supposedly take the best in the world at your sport to fill a roster, Americans think we win every international competition (except hockey and soccer/football) with relative ease and no reason to watch...until we get dominated and shown we're nothing more than prima donnas and stat generators, not a team player.

                        I applaud David Wright for fighting with the Mets over his oblique strain. He is THE only American player to play thru a playable injury. He did it for his country..not for his club, his team, the money....HIS COUNTRY! Name me 27 other American born active baseball players who would do that for Team USA right who has a MINIMUM one full year of service time?

                        With that being said, I propose a perfect idea/solution for Canada/USA when it comes to 2017: Open camp together, with the provisional roster, then trim it down to 28. If MLB camps open February 17, 2017, then Team USA and Team Canada players should report to their INTERNATIONAL camp together at that time. A well-rounded team (like the Japanese, Koreans and Cubans) train together and have other exhibitions well ahead of time together. Torn between that 3rd/4th starter and who's going to be that long-man in the first round if your starter gets lit up? Play spring training games against MLB teams. Put one in Arizona, the other in Florida and wham! Perfect gel time.

                        Now you tell me not only would Team USA (if seperated from Canada) make it easily under these rules to the Semifinals, but Canada would be there as well?

                        2. Picking the pools

                        I really don't like the Eastern part of the world and the Western part of the world forced into their own brackets together. A pool with Japan and China? Taiwan and Korea? US and Canada? Puerto Rico/Dominicans/Venezuelans? Split them up, please. I understand they do it for travel purposes, but this is a WORLD tournament, not "lets create a pool/group of death and make one pool very easy". 2009 ring a bell? That Puerto Rican pool was supposed to be a cakewalk for the Dominicans, but yes they were upset. 2013, we get US/Canada/Mexico again, along with PR/DR/Venezuela?

                        How about selecting four countries to host four pools, and those countries get assigned to a pool. Then, we draw in groups, like the World Cup. Here is how I would do the group draws:

                        For this draft option, we'll use the 2013 setup and the four countries selected as the host countries will be Puerto Rico, Japan, USA, and Mexico

                        First Draw - The Four teams who qualified for the WBC via Qualifying Round (Taiwan, Brazil, Spain, Canada)
                        Second Draw - The host nations (Puerto Rico, Japan, USA, Mexico)
                        Third Draw - The Four top teams in the IBAF not already grouped in the Qualifiers group or Host group (Cuba, Korea, Venezuela, Netherlands)
                        Fourth and ever existing draw afterward - The Remaining teams in the tournament (Australia, Dominican, (Australia, China, Italy, Dominicana)

                        I think if we're only going to have 16 teams in the main tournament, you have double-round robin in the first round and the quarterfinals (second round) becomes knockout stage. You could a first set of round-robins for a Pool at one location, the second at another (if they are hellbent on Japan/Korea/Taiwan hosting pools, do this!)

                        3. Scheduling the tournament
                        It always ends up being the beginning of March till the middle of March. How about starting the tournament around the 10th or 11th, and running to the end of March? Sure, MLB plays 162 games....they can adjust the schedules accordingly (mid-April start date and what the hell, have teams schedule day-night DHs on Saturdays three times throughout the year). WBC got lucky this year that March Madness starts later than usual, but the talk today is about the conference championships and semifinals, not the WBC. They got lucky by the semis/finals being after March Madness pairings and the Finals will coincide with First Four games. Avoid this by having your Championship Rounds before the WEEK OF THE FINAL FOUR!

                        Quarterfinals: Games 1 & 2 - Saturday; Games 3 & 4 - Sunday
                        Game 1: Netherlands vs. Cuba
                        Game 2: Italy vs. Dominican Republic
                        Game 3: Japan vs. Taiwan
                        Game 4: Puerto Rico vs. USA
                        Semifinals: Game 5 - Monday; Game 6 - Tuesday
                        Game 5: Game 1 Winner (Netherlands) vs. Game 2 Winner Dominicana)
                        Game 6: Game 3 Winner (Japan) vs. Game 4 Winner (USA)
                        Third Place Game - Wednesday
                        Game 7: Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser
                        Championship: Thursday
                        Game 8: Game 5 Winner vs. Game 6 Winner
                        sigpic
                        World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
                        NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
                        NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
                        NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

                        Comment


                        • wow....I don't think Dominicana will lose..they look too damn good
                          sigpic
                          World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
                          NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
                          NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
                          NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Nutt View Post
                            wow....I don't think Dominicana will lose..they look too damn good
                            Chilllll....don't just them!

                            I am on the edge of my seat here! I personally haven't been this anxious or pumped over a televised game in so long.
                            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Nutt View Post
                              I'm going off on a rant right now...pay attention please

                              1. When it comes to the WBC, here's the thing....

                              Americans, as seen in some of the posts in the least few months, don't care about international competition. They think OUR leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) are the most superior leagues in the world and its where the best players come to play. While American football is really only played in 4-5 countries, the NBA is the clear-cut #1 League for basketball. MLB is #1 in the baseball pyramid, but you also have the NPB, KBO, CPBL, ABL and Caribe leagues to play in. Yes, MLB is THE league, but NPB is the #2 in terms of quality players.

                              Americans look at it as a glorified exhibition game. Take the World Cup for example: Americans only care when the US qualifies for the Knockout Stage. In basketball, they couldn't fathom how the US didn't win the Gold Medal in 2004 and how bad the Americans were at that time. When you supposedly take the best in the world at your sport to fill a roster, Americans think we win every international competition (except hockey and soccer/football) with relative ease and no reason to watch...until we get dominated and shown we're nothing more than prima donnas and stat generators, not a team player.

                              I applaud David Wright for fighting with the Mets over his oblique strain. He is THE only American player to play thru a playable injury. He did it for his country..not for his club, his team, the money....HIS COUNTRY! Name me 27 other American born active baseball players who would do that for Team USA right who has a MINIMUM one full year of service time?

                              With that being said, I propose a perfect idea/solution for Canada/USA when it comes to 2017: Open camp together, with the provisional roster, then trim it down to 28. If MLB camps open February 17, 2017, then Team USA and Team Canada players should report to their INTERNATIONAL camp together at that time. A well-rounded team (like the Japanese, Koreans and Cubans) train together and have other exhibitions well ahead of time together. Torn between that 3rd/4th starter and who's going to be that long-man in the first round if your starter gets lit up? Play spring training games against MLB teams. Put one in Arizona, the other in Florida and wham! Perfect gel time.

                              Now you tell me not only would Team USA (if seperated from Canada) make it easily under these rules to the Semifinals, but Canada would be there as well?

                              2. Picking the pools

                              I really don't like the Eastern part of the world and the Western part of the world forced into their own brackets together. A pool with Japan and China? Taiwan and Korea? US and Canada? Puerto Rico/Dominicans/Venezuelans? Split them up, please. I understand they do it for travel purposes, but this is a WORLD tournament, not "lets create a pool/group of death and make one pool very easy". 2009 ring a bell? That Puerto Rican pool was supposed to be a cakewalk for the Dominicans, but yes they were upset. 2013, we get US/Canada/Mexico again, along with PR/DR/Venezuela?

                              How about selecting four countries to host four pools, and those countries get assigned to a pool. Then, we draw in groups, like the World Cup. Here is how I would do the group draws:

                              For this draft option, we'll use the 2013 setup and the four countries selected as the host countries will be Puerto Rico, Japan, USA, and Mexico

                              First Draw - The Four teams who qualified for the WBC via Qualifying Round (Taiwan, Brazil, Spain, Canada)
                              Second Draw - The host nations (Puerto Rico, Japan, USA, Mexico)
                              Third Draw - The Four top teams in the IBAF not already grouped in the Qualifiers group or Host group (Cuba, Korea, Venezuela, Netherlands)
                              Fourth and ever existing draw afterward - The Remaining teams in the tournament (Australia, Dominican, (Australia, China, Italy, Dominicana)

                              I think if we're only going to have 16 teams in the main tournament, you have double-round robin in the first round and the quarterfinals (second round) becomes knockout stage. You could a first set of round-robins for a Pool at one location, the second at another (if they are hellbent on Japan/Korea/Taiwan hosting pools, do this!)

                              3. Scheduling the tournament
                              It always ends up being the beginning of March till the middle of March. How about starting the tournament around the 10th or 11th, and running to the end of March? Sure, MLB plays 162 games....they can adjust the schedules accordingly (mid-April start date and what the hell, have teams schedule day-night DHs on Saturdays three times throughout the year). WBC got lucky this year that March Madness starts later than usual, but the talk today is about the conference championships and semifinals, not the WBC. They got lucky by the semis/finals being after March Madness pairings and the Finals will coincide with First Four games. Avoid this by having your Championship Rounds before the WEEK OF THE FINAL FOUR!

                              Quarterfinals: Games 1 & 2 - Saturday; Games 3 & 4 - Sunday
                              Game 1: Netherlands vs. Cuba
                              Game 2: Italy vs. Dominican Republic
                              Game 3: Japan vs. Taiwan
                              Game 4: Puerto Rico vs. USA
                              Semifinals: Game 5 - Monday; Game 6 - Tuesday
                              Game 5: Game 1 Winner (Netherlands) vs. Game 2 Winner Dominicana)
                              Game 6: Game 3 Winner (Japan) vs. Game 4 Winner (USA)
                              Third Place Game - Wednesday
                              Game 7: Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser
                              Championship: Thursday
                              Game 8: Game 5 Winner vs. Game 6 Winner
                              As long as the US views it as a bunch of exhibition games, they will lose and be humiliated by their own territories.

                              At least it's good to know David Wright actually gave a damn. Too bad his country doesn't.
                              Last edited by MasterO; 03-16-2013, 03:01 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Japan will defeat D.R in the finals,that is my prediction. Their pitching is to damn good.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X