No announcement yet.

2013 World Baseball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to the Dominican Republic! They dominated throughout the tournament with 8-0 record. King of baseball REPUBLICA DOMINICANA!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rally Monkey View Post
      I wasn't aware until now that Bob Costas posts here under the name "Nutt". Welcome, Bob!
      Don't hate because I respect the game!

I can't stand Joe Buck and I think it has to do with Tim McCarver. That's a different story for a different thread.
      sigpic
      World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
      NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
      NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
      NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

• Great result with the Dominican winning the 2012-2013 WBC.

There were eight contestants in the March 2013 Contest.

The winner is ddrapayo.

ddrapayo, please send me your postal address via e-mail to my e-mail address of [email protected] so that I can mail out your prize to you.

Comment

• Outrageous. I demand a recount.

Comment

• 2013 MetLife All-World Baseball Classic Team announced:

C Yadier Molina -Puerto Rico
            1B Edwin Encarnacion -Dominican Republic
            2B Robinson Cano -Dominican Republic
            3B David Wright -United States
            SS Jose Reyes -Dominican Republic
            OF Angel Pagan -Puerto Rico
            OF Nelson Cruz -Dominican Republic
            OF Michael Saunders -Canada
            DH Hirokazu Ibata -Japan
            P Kenta Maeda -Japan
            P Nelson Figueroa -Puerto Rico
            P Fernando Rodney -Dominican Republic

Source: http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/...orld/index.jsp

Comment

• Originally posted by PLowry View Post
              Great result with the Dominican winning the 2012-2013 WBC.

There were eight contestants in the March 2013 Contest.

The winner is ddrapayo.

ddrapayo, please send me your postal address via e-mail to my e-mail address of [email protected] so that I can mail out your prize to you.
              Sent. Thanks.

Comment

• The 2013 WBC promised to be the most competitive to date and it was:

Total average run differential per game
                2006= 5.18
                2009= 5.72
                2013= 4.05

First Round average run differential per game
                2006= 6.42
                2009= 6.50
                2013= 4.21

Mercy Rules
                2006= 6
                2009= 6
                2013= 4

Statistical Performance Rating Standard Deviation
                2006= 15.40
                2009= 16.21
                2013= 14.15

The number that jumps out is the average run differential in first round games. On the flip side the...

Second round & championship round average run differential per game
                2006= 3.20
                2009= 4.47
                2013= 3.80

Comment

• Baseball America wrapping up the WBC. Some interesting info regarding international baseball in the first bit of the podcast.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ast.php?id=439
                  Last edited by Cincy Fan; 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beisbol41 View Post
                    The cold weather didn't help either. I think they reported 55 degrees at game time (5:00 p.m. PST), probably got a lot colder as the game progressed and the wind probably made it feel close to freezing. Probably discouraged many fans from attending the game so I wasn't surprised it wasn't a sell out but a good showing non the less at least 3/4 full. Hope its a little warmer tonight cause without an Asian country, the USA or maybe Mexico not too many native followers of the remaining teams in SF. Its up to the local baseball fan to step up and attend the game.
                    The crowds were pathetic....the weather sucked AGAIN. That's the third WBC semi-finals/finals round I've attended and I've froze my butt off and got rained on every single time. Time to move the finals to Chase in Phoenix.... As for night two I was furious to find out that seats better than my WAY OVERPRICED $55 seat in the upper deck behind home were being sold for $5. That's bullcrap to those that planned ahead. Note to future attendees...don't buy tickets ahead of time (that same seat went up to $80 for the final game...rip off)

I was there with some friends who are involved in the WBC. I see the article about it growing... From what I heard it'll be the same 28 countries in 2017....they may tweak the qualifiers or set up something to get IN to the qualifiers using the 21U tournament in two years or something, but otherwise I don't think it'll change. I did hear more grumblings about how upset MLB was that Spain upset Israel..

It was a great exciting tournament, until the final round. Those games were pretty dull... The Puerto Rico fans outshined, and possibly outnumbered the Japanese on that first night. All in all I kept my streak alive, but, hmm, might have been more enjoyable in a warm dry house.

Let's get on to 2016, and let's hope some announcements are made early on this time around...

My guess right now...... Australia hosting Great Britain, New Zealand, and South Africa.............Spain hosting Israel, France, and the Czech Republic..............Mexico hosting Panama, Colombia, and Nicaragua.............Brazil hosting Germany, Philippines, and Thailand.... (mmm...that's way to weak)...substitute Panama down in Brazil for a rematch, and put Thailand or Philippines in Mexico

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
                      First Congrats to DR on a great run! Great bullpen, timely hitting and solid starting pitching! This team lacked the Mega Stars of Pujols, Ortiz and Beltre but they still were able to achieve greatness. Congrats to Tony Pena and Moises Alou on putting this team together.

As for Bob, Costas was just giving us the game. He wasn't fully vested in the game. I don't believe he announced any of the games...at least none that I watched and I watched about a dozen games.

Costas isn't going to give you the homer voice and emotion that you seek. He's going to give you facts, some political commentary might even be slipped in there but he rarely evokes emotion in the games I've heard him announce. He's very knowledgeable, understands the game, knows the players and sure as hell beats Joe Buck.
                      IMO, he's one of the better announcers around. I'd love to listen to him paired with Al Michaels or Vin Scully do the World Series sometime soon.
                      Why did they have Costas doing the Finals. He did not do one other game. That's stupid. Of course he's not going to be in to it like the announcers that traveled or reported on it everyday. Now I'm glad I was soaked and cold and the boring game instead of listening to that. He doesn't suck, but he shouldn't have been doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cincy Fan View Post
                        Baseball America wrapping up the WBC. Some interesting info regarding international baseball in the first bit of the podcast.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ast.php?id=439
                        I think the podcast pointed out some good things. One thing they said was the difference between having two cinderella teams and 3 powers and 1 cinderella team. Also the comparison to NCAA final four sometimes you think a final four with underdogs or all super powers will be exciting and it is not.

THe best game was netherlands vs cuba to see who will go on to the next round. It was a great game and the come back from the netherlands. That home run hit to give the netherlands the lead it was amazing. Cuba's error allowing netherlands to get on board instead of being a key out. It was the best game.

I thought some other games were good but I do agree something lacked this classic. The final wasn't japan vs korea 09 atmosphere. The dominicans and puerto ricans played a great game a tight game. Except what the podcast said was right when the dominicans got on broad they would win.

I also agree what they said that cuba baseball is suffering. A good question was asked "what will cuba do without the IBAF tournaments" without those tournaments cuban international baseball suffers and not only that cuban baseball suffers. That last few years cuba has not had great performances when they play certain national teams.

Finally the best thing about the podcast was their support for international baseball and their balance argument for making changes to the WBC. I agree with what they said not all WBC final's will be Korea Vs Japan 09. Just like not all world cups will be amazing, NCAA finals, BCS bowls(national championship was boring) etc.

Comment

• During my time in japan I realized something about Japanese fans and consumers when it comes to sport. They like stars and big names. I was there also when the club world cup was held and the stadium was packed. Of course Japanese fans only fill up the stadium when Japan plays but not when someone else does. Using the 13 WBC teams here is how I think the team groups should look like to guarantee over 60% capacities in stadiums.

Group A Fukuoka:

First I think it should be held in tokyo and teams should be;

Japan, DR, Australia and Brazil.

Why the Japanese love big names, when MLB does season openers there stadium gets great crowds why because of big names and DR has that. Brazil with all there half japanese players would be a great team to have here.

Group B Taiwan:

Korea, China, Taiwan and Netherlands

Imagine a chinese vs taiwanese rivalry game. IF china is cool with that

Group C "Group of death" San Juan:

PR, Venezuela, Mexico, Spain

Take DR out. You can't have 3 of the favorites to advance in one bracket.

Group D Arizona:

Cuba, Italy, Canada, USA

A cuba versus USA game would be great. Keep the US in the USA. THough I thought about moving them to the Group A to guarantee big names but DR has plenty of big names.

Second Round:

Round 1 Tokyo:

Japan, Korea, DR and Netherlands. Assuming my big name theory works all games should have a great showing.

Round 2 Miami:

USA, Cuba, Venezuela and PR (again just my idea). Even if you had upsets like italy you still have 3 very popular teams with MLB stars going here. Also cuba in miami might be a issue with anti castros but it should be a great series.

Semi Finals and Finals

Go back to LA IMO.

My thoughts; I was thinking of USA to group 1 to guarantee japan gets it's MLB fan favorites, but a MLB stacked DR team if they could convince the big names to go like Pujols would be sweet. Remember big papi was a star on japanese commercials in 08-09.

My other idea is keep the groups the same as 2013 but after the first round do a big change. Do group 1 and group 3 and group 2 and group 4 winners play each other.

The BA podcast was right in one thing. It would have been great to see DR play Japan or Cuba. I have seen Cuba vs Japan over 3 times, I have seen Korea vs Japan over 4 times, I have seen Venezuela vs PR over 3 times, USA vs canada etc.

I would love to see DR vs Korea, Japan vs Venezuela, Cuba vs USA. In other words not the same times always playing each other.

Comment

• Whenever a big tournament like this is held the organizers know there is always the possibility that perhaps the teams that make it to the finals are not the teams with the most drawing power,and i m sure MLB knows this,so they are willing to take a chance in order to grow the WBC brand. It takes time to develop a tournament,sometimes take a couple of decades. The FIFA finals the SuperBowl, these events get sellout crowds regardless of who is in because of name recognition,and not so much because of the teams involved, WBC is not there yet and it will take sometime,but i m sure the time will come that regardless of where is played and of who is in the final will be sold out.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinnystar27 View Post
                              I think the podcast pointed out some good things. One thing they said was the difference between having two cinderella teams and 3 powers and 1 cinderella team. Also the comparison to NCAA final four sometimes you think a final four with underdogs or all super powers will be exciting and it is not.

THe best game was netherlands vs cuba to see who will go on to the next round. It was a great game and the come back from the netherlands. That home run hit to give the netherlands the lead it was amazing. Cuba's error allowing netherlands to get on board instead of being a key out. It was the best game.

I thought some other games were good but I do agree something lacked this classic. The final wasn't japan vs korea 09 atmosphere.
                              That's because California has a ton of Koreans and Japanese expats. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, not so much. The atmosphere is purely a function of demographics until you get more casual baseball fans interested in this event and by extension games where they don't have a rooting interest for one of the two participants. That's true in other countries as well, as you saw in the games in Fukuoka and Taichung. Japanese TV didn't even bother to broadcast the final once the Japanese were eliminated per one resident on another board. (Disclaimer: this guy is a Kiwi that lives in Japan and hates Japanese sports culture. That's mostly for what he sees in rugby in contrast to baseball, so he's a little biased. He's also fluent in Japanese and therefore does hear the local broadcasters' take.)

Japan lose 1 - 3

Watching local TV and they have not once congratulated Puerto Rico for a fine performance nor have the cameras shown the Puerto Rico players enjoying the win.

But they are making sure we realise what a fine bunch of ball players the Japanese are and how hard they tried.

Losing with total lack of grace

Finally, a 'commentator' (a member of a popular singing group) admits that Puerto Rico played well
                              The game is not being broadcast on any TV channels here, except Sky Sports on private subscription.

it is almost as if the tournament had ceased to exist
                              well done by the Dominican Republic

The final got a 30-second mention on the main evening news here, with the match only shown on Sky.

This is the de facto WC for baseball, the most popular sport in Japan and they were the reigning champions.

But as soon as Japan was eliminated, the tournament effectively ended in the public eye.

really pathetic response

...I have never been more scared about the prospects for [Rugby World Cup 2019, hosted by Japan]
                              Originally posted by quinnystar27 View Post
                              I also agree what they said that cuba baseball is suffering. A good question was asked "what will cuba do without the IBAF tournaments" without those tournaments cuban international baseball suffers and not only that cuban baseball suffers. That last few years cuba has not had great performances when they play certain national teams.
                              Tour! Play other national teams in series. Japan and Taiwan have already hosted them twice late last year as WBC warmups.
                              Last edited by Cincy Fan; 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Rally Monkey,

I have replied to your recount comment off-line.

PLowry

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X