No announcement yet.

2013 World Baseball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Basically, I had the same thoughts that the folks at Baseball America and quinnystar27 did above.)

Comment

• I apologize, its just something I have a pet peeve about when someone re-posts something I already posted.

but on the brightside...I made Kevin's Highlights
      sigpic
      World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
      NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
      NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
      NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Nutt View Post
        I apologize, its just something I have a pet peeve about when someone re-posts something I already posted.

but on the brightside...I made Kevin's Highlights
        I understand the peeve, but there are more constructive ways to express it.
        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• WBC STANDINGS --- WBC III in 2012-2013 --- WBC's I, II, and III in 2006-2013 --- WINS, LOSSES, WINNING %, GAMES BEHIND

THE TOP 16 WHO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN ALL THREE WBC TOURNAMENTS

Dominican --- 8-0 1.000 - ; 14-4 .778 -

Puerto Rico --- 5-4 .556 3 1/2; 13-8 .619 2 1/2

Japan --- 5-2 .714 2 1/2; 17-7 .708 -

Netherlands --- 4-4 .500 4; 7-10 .412 6 1/2

Cuba --- 4-2 .667 3; 13-7 .650 2

Canada --- 4-2 .667 3; 6-5 .545 4 1/2

Taiwan --- 5-3 .625 3; 6-7 .462 5 1/2

USA --- 3-3 .500 4; 10-10 .500 5

South Korea --- 2-1 .667 3 1/2; 14-5 .737 1/2

Panama --- 2-2 .500 4; 2-7 .222 7 1/2

Italy --- 2-3 .400 4 1/2; 4-7 .364 6 1/2

Mexico --- 1-2 .333 4 1/2; 6-9 .400 6 1/2

Venezuela --- 1-2 .333 4 1/2; 10-7 .588 3 1/2

China --- 1-2 .333 4 1/2; 2-7 .222 7 1/2

South Africa --- 1-2 .333 4 1/2; 1-7 .125 8

Australia --- 0-3 .000 5 1/2; 1-8 .111 8 1/2

THE NEW 12 ENTRANTS IN THE 2012 WBC QUALIFYING ROUND

THE TWO NEW QUALIFYING ROUND TEAMS OUT OF 12 WHICH ADVANCED TO THE FIRST ROUND

Brazil --- 3-3 .500 4

Spain --- 3-4 .429 4 1/2

THE TEN NEW QUALIFYING ROUND TEAMS OUT OF 12 WHICH DID NOT ADVANCE TO THE FIRST ROUND

Israel --- 2-1 .667 3 1/2

Germany --- 2-2 .500 4

New Zealand --- 2-2 .500 4

Colombia --- 1-2 .333 4 1/2

England --- 1-2 .333 4 1/2

Philippines --- 1-2 .333 4 1/2

Czech --- 0-2 .000 5

France --- 0-2 .000 5

Nicaragua --- 0-2 .000 5

Thailand --- 0-2 .000 5

It is fascinating how teams which dominated WBC I and WBC II fell early in this year's WBC III --- South Korea which was 12-4 previously; Cuba which was 9-5 previously; and Venezuela which was also 9-5 previously. Similarly, it is amazing how far teams reached in the tournament who were given no chance -- Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Spain, and New Zealand.

Comment

• Has anyone heard about the revenues generated by the 2013 WBC? I think it generated about 18 million in 2009. I haven't read anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
              Has anyone heard about the revenues generated by the 2013 WBC? I think it generated about 18 million in 2009. I haven't read anything.
              Is there any info on revenue distribution?

Comment

• I have just completed re-reading all 3832 posts in the 154 pages on this 2013 WBC thread.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their points of view on the WBC.

Comment

• See if this works, Southwest.
                  Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mischa View Post

I think similar limits should be in place for all countries. The Italians did just as well or better than the Italian-Americans; why let the latter play? One hyphenated player on a team (ex. Ray Chang on China or Leon Boyd on the Netherlands) doesn't bug me, but when they're the majority of the team, that's wrong.
                    I like the liberal way that MLB allows "passport players" to play for Italy and Israel. It is not like they are helping any of the top ranking teams in the tournament.There are other possibilities too; for example, Ireland is ranked number 42, but with a bunch of Irish-American Minor League players they could perhaps play at the level of a ranked number 28 or so. Plus there are 33 Million Irish-Americans, or 10 % of the entire USA population, which potentially could be attracted to see some Ireland WBC games in the US,

Comment

• Originally posted by Pere View Post

San Marino is certainly a country. I'm not aware that they play any baseball there.
                      San Marino is a baseball-playing country. It has a team in the Italian League, and usually does well in the standings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unit312J View Post
                        There will be close to nobody in the stands for non-Japan games island slugger. They've proven that time after time. For the Japan games there will be a ton, but if you have Venezuela playing Mexico or something there won't be anybody there.
                        Unit312J, you said that there would be close to nobody in the stands for non-Japan games at the Tokyo Dome. In 2017, that was not true.

Cuba vs. China 39,102, Cuba vs. Australia 38,050

Comment

• Originally posted by NattyBaller View Post

Sorry to restate points, the thread has just gotten so long I feel like I'm sifting through a novel trying to figure out who already said what. With regards to Rally Monkey, I can see your desire to use the qualification rounds to "flesh out" the international baseball calendar and distribute games of "significance" to the WBC in non-WBC years. I am skeptical at this point of regional qualifiers in non-WBC years for a couple reasons -- one is that, given the tournament's ongoing struggle to appeal to American (US) baseball fans, I think that these qualifiers would do nothing to advance that project due to their non-inclusion of the US and the likely lack of media coverage for the events so far away temporally from the WBC proper (and in other ways prob. hard to distinguish from IBAF tournaments) -- in some ways, putting the qualifiers in Feb 2013 before the WBC would likely give the event more US media coverage by adding to the domestic debate about whether it is appropriate for thoise hallowed and sancrosant MLB players (which I occasionally confuse with porcelein dolls) to take a few more weeks out of their winter to participate. I also find questionable the concept of these becoming proper regional qualifications as suggested by RM -- they seem more like closed qualifications, in that the teams that that "qualify" for the qualifiers are not, to my knowledge, expected to do so through an open tournament so much as they will be chosen based on the expectation that they can field a competent team. An alternative is to work through the IBAF and their pre-existing system of qualifications for the BWC, but I think having an opening round of sixteen with the eight teams that didn't make the second round last time playing eight new teams chosen based on the expectation of competence (likely measured through team results at recent IBAF tournaments anyway) is a simple and for the time being appropriate route to take. The level of play will just jump dramatically after that round either way whatever new exotic teams manage to scrape through. With regard to the Dominican Republic, IMO they have to play in the qualifying round regardless of their obvious potential, as they did not qualify for the second round in the last WBC. This could lead to a tragic series of events in which they again underperform by not making the first round due to lack of MLB talent, but I would like to think the country's talent is deeper than that if they would ever decide to play them internationally.
                          Natty Baller and others who commented on the Qualifier Round. There is always the hope that a poorly ranked Qualifier Round team will "catch lightning in a bottle" and do very well. For example, Israel was ranked # 48 in 2012. They proceeded to win 2 games in the 2012 Qualifier Round, to win 3 games (undefeated) in the 2016 Qualifier Round, to win 3 games (undefeated) in the 2017 First Round, and to win one game in the 2017 Second Round, for an overall WBC record of 9 Wins and 4 Losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by cutchemist42 View Post
                            I have a feeling Sportsnet in Canada who owns the Jays will broadcast the German quali. They have done the WBC and have also broadcast the junior World Championships in Thunder Bay. Sportsnet also reports on Baseball Canada a lot and has provided this thread with good articles for info.
                            We frequently cite which countries will host the WBC and which countries will win and lose WBC games. Our predictions fall into three categories:

I. What will probably happen.

II. What we hope will happen.

III. What will happen according to some set of rules, such as geographic, WBSC rankings, political power in the WBSC.

Comment

• testmessage

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X