No announcement yet.

2013 World Baseball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In terms of growth, it will be another decade or two before MLB reaps the benefits of the WBC.

Comment

• I totally agree with Rally Monkey, the weather will be too cold if the tournament is held in November(for ex, if Germany and Canada hosts the qualifier, it will be freezing playing in outdoor). Also as I said it before, triple A players are able to participate. So only few countries, Columbia, Nicaragua, would suffer without their MLB players. And don't forget that it's just a qualifier.

Richards point is true but with MLB's international program, WBC and other baseball organizations, baseball is growing around the world. It may seem slow, but I think international baseball is going in the right direction.

Comment

• I totally agree with Rally Monkey, the weather will be too cold if the tournament is held in November(for ex, if Germany and Canada hosts the qualifier, it will be freezing playing in outdoor). Also as I said it before, triple A players are able to participate. So only few countries, Columbia, Nicaragua, would suffer without their MLB players. And don't forget that it's just a qualifier.

Richards point is true but with MLB's international program, WBC and other baseball organizations, baseball is growing around the world. It may seem slow, but I think international baseball is going in the right direction.http://www.baseball-fever.com/images.../homeplate.gif

Comment

• I doubt MLB Organizations will allow any of its players participate in a September qualifier. If the WBC decides to hold them in September, then there won’t be any players from 40 man rosters. If the WBC holds the qualifiers in November, then expect it to be held in Toronto with MLB players. Would Taiwanese baseball organizations allow their players to participate in a September qualifier? The CPBL’s regular season also concludes in September. Taiwan’s second or third tier players can handle the Philippines, Thailand and Pakistan, but does MLB want lesser talent participating in a qualifier for their Marquee International Event? I don’t think they do, but I’ve been wrong before.

Comment

• Originally posted by island slugger View Post
            I totally agree with Rally Monkey, the weather will be too cold if the tournament is held in November(for ex, if Germany and Canada hosts the qualifier, it will be freezing playing in outdoor). Also as I said it before, triple A players are able to participate. So only few countries, Columbia, Nicaragua, would suffer without their MLB players. And don't forget that it's just a qualifier.
            Absurd. If it's "just a qualifier," why have it at all? And why should the strongest qualifier teams be hamstrung by the scheduling? Colombia and Nicaragua both had solid claims to being included in the 2006 and 2009 WBCs but were left out due to geographical and political reasons. Now they get to qualify, but have to do so without their best players? Totally idiotic. I might understand if it was the Olympics and MLB/WBC had no control over the timing, but this event is entirely controlled by MLB/WBC.

Comment

• I think the main problem (by itself and the discussion here) is that there are different goals of the partnered organizations.
              Franchises/MLBPA/MLB/IBAF do have some different goals with this tournament. On the one side there is the goal of making money on the other side there is the goal of spreading BB on the globe. Another goal is to find the best BB nation.

So we have to differentiate between if we are talking about a) seeing the best baseball in the world (then only let the stars play - with all the problems that resolve out of that) and b) grow the game internationally (with all the cut backs we have to make - but this does not mean that in the end the best BB is played at the WBC)

If you see it only like a baseball fan it makes only sense to play the Jeters, Ichiros and Ortizes but exclude every other nation that does not have any Big leaguers - for sure this is the origin of the WBC for a fan (may not for the franchises)
              But if you see it internationally it makes sense to make it a true global tournament - outside USA, DomRep, Japan etc but this does mean that you have to find a way to open it up for everyone
              And here it starts to get difficult. You have to make some adjustments to fullfill what you want - this may does mean you are not playing qualifiers in Yankee stadium, somewhere in the DomRep or Tokio Dome where you get to see anyways quality BB all year. This does mean you go out there and do play where it is needed and you may not see the Jeters, Ichiros and Ortizes BUT the better team will qualify anyways for the WBC if the nation is strong enough.
              If BB Canada is not strong enough outside of Votto, Mourneau or Bay to suceed against little Germany with Nonames the do not deserve to play the WBC anyways - because do you believe the Jeters, Ichiros and Ortizes would be easier to beat? I think with this Qualifiers it shows more the strength of a country because not only the Top Atheletes show how good they are it shows how much talent a nation does have.

So please differentiate if you want to see 39 more quality games every 4 years only played at venues where you see quality games every year or if you want to see these 39 games plus underdogs to get a shoot at it somewhere in the world. In the end the best nation will suceed anyways no matter if they had to qualify beacause they were not good enough the last time.
              The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Wendt View Post
                I think MLB and the 30 major league ballclubs should be distinguished here, at least the last twenty posts.
                [add: At least from #532. From my perspective there were five simultaneous uploads as the page turned over.]

The tournament arrangements are designed by MLB primarily with other parties such as NPB and IBAF secondary at best. MLB should "sell" its design to its 30 constituent clubs and completing that sale means eliciting, preferably institutionalizing, collective agreement to cooperate with its structure by releasing eligible players. If it cannot do so, then it should go back to the drawing board, just as the US Executive government goes back to the drawing board if it negotiates an international treaty but fails to sell it. (The analogy isn't complete, of course. MLB may be able to go ahead and force the tournament of its design without cooperation by its ballclubs, which the US Executive cannot do internationally, at least not easily and fully.)

International baseball fans shouldn't accord MLB much respect if it goes with a design that conflicts with its own regular season and cannot (does not) elicit and enforce the cooperation of its ballclubs.
                Continuing my remark:

How many MLB clubs must agree in order to make player release mandatory for all?

For every Cincinnati that believes it will probably lose more playing strength than its likely September rivals will lose, there may two clubs that believe their likely rivals will probably lose more. And there may be two who expect to lose nothing at all.

Comment

• IBAF President Riccardo Fraccari addresses National Federations with 2011 Statement

I found this on Mr Baseball, President Fraccari mentions the IBAF website's poor maintenance:
                  We addressed the tasks of “communication” and “visibility” by completely updating the IBAF website, which has still not yet completed due to the great amount of work involved in this project and the lack of personnel that was able to be dedicated to this end. I feel it necessary to note that one reason, certainly not secondary, that prevented the complete realization of this medium was, and still is, the lack of cooperation offered by our National Member Federations, many of which do not respond to our requests to provide us with their pertinent data and information.
                  And the MLB tournament proposal:
                  I thought long and hard about our financial situation, discussing and meeting repeatedly with all organizations of professional baseball (NPB, KBO, CPBL & MLB). From these meetings came a proposal for an agreement with MLB on a few tournaments, which will not only provide the resources needed to IBAF, but also promotes the economic position of federations taking part in these tournaments, as well as providing substantial assistance and a great development opportunity for our global baseball movement—all this without compromising our autonomy.
                  Read the complete article: http://www.mister-baseball.com/ibaf-...011-statement/

Comment

• If you read the IBAF Baseball News, Issue No 6 and the Baseball UK News "Sam Dempster new Headcoach" carefully you will find out some intersting (non official) news about World Cup and WBC Qualifier.

Originally posted by IBAF BB News Issue No6 @MrBB
                    .....The Executive is also expected to discuss the possibility of 2011 IBAF Baseball World Cup. Bids have been lodged from Panama and Venezuela with the tournament possibly to be held later in the year. The tournament has been discussed at length in previous executives and will be decided upon in Havana. A full report will be available at the completion of the meetings......full article here http://www.mister-baseball.com/ibaf-...-news-issue-6/
                    Originally posted by BaseballSoftballUK.com
                    ....Team GB still has their hopes set on reaching the World Baseball Classic Qualifiers, if Major League Baseball opts to extend the pool of competition from 16 to 24 teams in 2013. WBC announcements are expected in 2011, but no qualifier event is anticipated until 2012. Thus, the European Qualifiers will be the Senior Team's only official competition this summer......full article here http://www.baseballsoftballuk.com/ge...rent%20%20News
                    So it looks like that there will maybe be a World Cup in Panama or Venezuela later this year and no WBC Qualifier anticipated until 2012.

Comment

• Does Panama have the infrastructure (stadiums) host the event?

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
                        Does Panama have the infrastructure (stadiums) host the event?
                        It sure does. Panama held the 2004 Olympic baseball qualifier (at which Mexico beat the U.S. to knock the U.S. out of the '04 Olympics) in October 2003. At the time, a new stadium had just opened in Panama City, and its older stadium had been refurbished as well.

Comment

• Yes, but at somebody who has visited both those stadiums in Panama City, well, they leave a lot to be desired. Not to mention they usually use at least four stadiums for these tournaments, so it should be interesting to cram all those games in to two. But at least I know a good condo to rent next to a mall that had a few great steak places

Comment

• If it’s between Panama and Venezuela, then Panama is overmatched. There are at least eight stadiums in Venezuela with 15,000+ in capacity. Assuming that the BWC will be in November, the only problems are that the LVBP season would be in progress and BWC scheduling would also be challenged further if inclement weather rears its ugly head. However there are two stadiums not used by the LVBP in San Felix and San Cristobal that would provide extra room for scheduling. Venezuela also has experience in hosting the Caribbean Series every four years since 1994. I don't see how the IBAF will choose Panama over Venezuela with so little time left for the event. Why didn't the IBAF make this decision a few years ago?

Comment

• if mlb is supporting a tournment tht takes place during their season and has a say in wen the qualifier is played dont u think they wood have a plan this is not ibaf scheduling it this MLB people

Comment

• I am kind of surprised reading this at the Italian Baseball Federation HP

Originally posted by FIBS
                                The Federal Council has expressed concerns about the opportunity to play in 2011 World Baseball link here http://translate.google.de/translate...dSection%3D677
                                This is exactly what I was thinking about reading the IBAF newsletter last week. IMO this whole WC/WBC Qualifier thing was informations, timetable etc missing is a total joke. What surprizes me is reading this by the Italian Federation first - remember IBAF President Fraccari is Italian, but I am also surprized no other nation turned out so far and didn´´t critisized the poor planning of IBAF for WC and WBC Inc/MLB for the Qualifier planning.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X