X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
    Does anyone have any information on this film? I can't find any reference to it anywhere
    the name of the picture is Toukon Komete,
    闘魂こめて
    which could be translated roughly, "with great fighting spirit."

Here is a webpage that you can have google translate for you. It's mostly names, dates, and credits, so the translation is intelligible.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tancho/20071024/p4

It's a documentary from 1963 commemorating 30 years of Gigantry. Unfortunately, "toukon komete" seems to be a Giant slogan, so searches for it bring in lots of other stuff. For example, entering 闘魂こめて on you tube gets lots of hits, but none of the movie. They might be of interest for their own sake, short giants clips. There was also a song of that title which may show up, maybe with cheer girls doing their routines in synch. Your risk.

To try to get more of the movie per se, try pasting this in the google search and having google translate.

闘魂こめて映画

That's "toukon komete movie." When I input this, I see the kanji, but of course I don't know what you see.

I don't much care for the Giants as a contemporary team, but their role in the history of Japanese baseball can't be gainsaid.
    If I can help any more, feel free to pm me.

Leave a comment:

• doctor_gogol
    replied
    Does anyone have any information on this film? I can't find any reference to it anywhere

Originally posted by JACKIE42 View Post

this Toho Films production commemorates the 30 year history (1934-63) of the Yomiuri Giants. The two large images on the poster are the greatest Giants of them all, Sadaharu Oh and Shigeo Nagashima.

Leave a comment:

• Joltin' Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by baclightning View Post
    I know this thread is five years old, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the five players in the upper photo is which, and specifically, which one is Fukuzo Tada? I've been trying to find a photo of him, without success. Tada had an interesting career - he started out as a pitcher, was converted into a catcher for a few years, then converted back to pitcher, with some success (he was 14-9 in 1949, the year pictured). Then at the end of his career, he went back to being a catcher for two years, hitting .217 with five home runs in 1954! I don't know of any other player, anywhere, who had that career path...
    The names listed on the photo from left to right are: Nakao, Fujimoto, Bessho, Kawasaki, Tada

Leave a comment:

• baclightning
    replied

The 1949 Giants won the pennant by a whopping 16 games! Included on this card are HOFers Hideo Fujimoto (all time career ERA leader), Takehiko Bessho (300 game winner) and Hiroshi Nakao. Others are Tokuji Kawasaki and Fukuzo Tada. The other card depicts HOFer and Orions pitching ace Atsushi Aramaki and is a rookie card.
    I know this thread is five years old, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the five players in the upper photo is which, and specifically, which one is Fukuzo Tada? I've been trying to find a photo of him, without success. Tada had an interesting career - he started out as a pitcher, was converted into a catcher for a few years, then converted back to pitcher, with some success (he was 14-9 in 1949, the year pictured). Then at the end of his career, he went back to being a catcher for two years, hitting .217 with five home runs in 1954! I don't know of any other player, anywhere, who had that career path...

Leave a comment:

• MacDice
    replied
    Images

Averill homers off Japanese legend Sawamura scoring Foxx- 1934

with HOF catcher Kuji in crouch. Kuji was killed during a game in 1939.
    Any chance of reposting the images from the 1934 series?

Leave a comment:

• zod
    replied
    Does anyone know the name of all 21 U.S.A. universities that traveled to and played in Japan against waseda and Keio during the years between 1908 and 1930? I know Washington was the 1st and that Chicago went in 1910 and every five years thereafter but can't find info on the other 19. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    the final articles:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    article out of order:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    more articles:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    Some articles:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• LIZZYTOPPS
    replied
    Chicago Maroons

I"m interested in learning about an early baseball game in Tokyo betwenn the U of C Maroons & some University there that I think begins with a K. It was in 1910 and Chicago won. Any idea's?

Leave a comment:

• Prestige Collectibles
    replied
    Almost all of these Japanese Baseball card photos belong to www.prestigecollectiblesauction.com

Leave a comment:

• chendd
    replied
    Do you know what the rosters of these series was?
    1908 Reach All-America Team
    1913 New York Giants and Chicago White Sox
    1920 Herb Hunter's All-Stars
    1922 Herb Hunter's All-Stars
    1949 San Francisco Seals (Lefty O'Doul)
    1951 Joe DiMaggio and Lefty O'Doul All-Stars

Leave a comment:

• wilson
    replied
    KEIO Team in Salida Colorado 1911 photo

Great photos posted by Jackie! I thought some of you might like to know that I am listing a photo on eBay today or tomorrow that shows the KEIO team with the Salida Co team in Salida 1911. ken

Leave a comment:

• JACKIE42
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X