Early Cuban Baseball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

• The late innings of a 1959 game between the Sugar Kings of Havana and the Rochester Red Wings, Cuban revolutionaries shot their guns in the ballpark, thus ending the game and, with it, "pro" baseball in Cuba. The following year, Cuban ballplayers staged a mass exodus to American soil and the rosters of Major League clubs. photo from the game features Fidel Castro without his familiar fatigues, wearing a Sugar Kings hat and fielder's glove, he is flanked by a player from each team, several children, and a man in a military uniform. Orlando Pena pitcher - Cerro Stadium 1959 - Cuban Sugar Kings vs. Rochester Red Wings.
      Last edited by JACKIE42; 07-05-2005, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Habana reds 1922-23

Hey..
        and what about this photograph?

its just amazing.
        You can see a rookie Martín Dihigo (standing third from left), Cannnball Redding (standing second from left), Miguel Angel González, Pop Lloyd and Adolfo Luque (standing fourth to sixth from left), Cristobal Torriente (middle row, second from left).
        If you can identify the complete team, please let me know. This was a great team.

You can see more great photographs about Cuban baseball and Martin Dihigo in my Dihigo's website.
        (http://www.geocities.com/martindihigo/)

César
        Monterrey, México

Comment

• Good piece of history! Nice Thread!

Comment

• JACKIE42: Thanks for the great photos! How do I learn more information about the 1908-1909 Cuban League and the Cincinnati-Habana-Almendares series throuhg newspapers or books?
            "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
            "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• About Cuban clubs vs Major Leagues clubs

Tony:

I really recommend you to read the book "The Pride of Havana: A history of Cuban Baseball" by Roberto Gonzalez Echevarria.
              Its a great book about cuban baseball and culture. There you will read about those series and about Jose de la Caridad Mendez, the early hero of Cuban baseball.
              Theres also a book that will be out in July by the great cuban historian Severo Nieto. "Early U.S. Blackball Teams in Cuba: Box Scores, Rosters and Statistics for the American Series, 1900–1945"

best wishes
              César

Comment

• Thanks Cesar I'll check them out.
                "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Jackie42
                  this is one of the best threads of Baseball Fever and that is really hard to do by the quality of this place.
                  I am from Venezuela, where negro leaguers were playing in the late 30´s and the 40´s and some venezuelan black players, as Vidal Lopez, went to play to Puerto Rico, Mexico and Dominican Republic leagues.
                  In other threads I was requesting more info about what did Lopez in those leagues and what happened with Pedro Formental , who is the all time rbi and hrs leader of the former profesional cuban league, once he left Cuba because his frinship with former dictator Batista. Any info you have will be well received.
                  Thanks for all the great pictures of the thread and the wonderfull info.
                  You have to suffer a revolution to know what are you talking about.

Comment

• why i can't see the photos ?????????? Jezzzz i want to see Munson in San Juan uniform !!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X