2014 MLB season to open with Dodgers/Diamondbacks in Syndey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 MLB season to open with Dodgers/Diamondbacks in Syndey

Two games will be played at Sydney Cricket Ground.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226662783768

Is this correct (regular season games outside the United States*/Canada)?

*- counting Puerto Rico as "foreign"

1996 Mets/Padres in Mexico (3 games)
    1999 Rockies/Padres in Mexico (1 game)
    2000 Cubs/Mets in Japan (2 gamse)
    2001 Rangers/Blue Jays in Puerto Rico (1 game)
    2003 Expos in Puerto Rico (22 games)
    2004 Expos in Puerto Rico (22 games)
    2008 As/Red Sox in Japan (2 games)
    2010 Marlins/Mets in Puerto Rico (3 games)
    2012 As/Mariners in Japan (2 games)
    Last edited by Lime; 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM.

I don't have a problem with this. Baseball seems to have more of a following around the world then, say, football (which the NFL has been trying to take worldwide for a while now). I remember when I went to Australia, there was actually a MLB game on TV down there albeit it was on really early. So, I'd say there's definitely some interest elsewhere.
    Favorite players past/present: Cal Ripken, Jr., Chipper Jones, Adam Jones, Javy Lopez, Josh Hamilton, Mike Piazza

Harry Doyle: "And for the Indians, that's one run on, let's see...one hit? That's all we got? One godd**n hit?!"
    Monty: "You can't say godd**n on the air!"
    Harry Doyle: "Don't worry, nobody's listening anyways."
    ~Major League (1989)~

sigpic

Comment

ought to be interesting

Comment

I still think playing it so early is weird. Becomes detached from the rest of the schedule. Creates a strange dynamic where there is the first game, the ESPN opening night game, and then opening day. Would it really be that much to have them play (say) March 29-30, have the Opening Night game on March 30, the main opening day March 31, but have the Diamondbacks and Dodgers just get March 31 and April 1 off (since a ton of teams will play on March 31 but not on April 1), and then continue with two more games?

Comment

I'm actually excited for this and I cannot foresee ANYTHING that will prevent me from making it however I think it will be a flop. The attendance will be very good, as it will be seen by many as a novelty, but the atmosphere will be terrible. Most of the casual followers will be bored by the third inning and those that aren't baseball people will be complaining that not enough home runs have been hit.

That said, I STILL GET TO SEE LIVE MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL!!!!!!
          RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Originally posted by NC_Oriole View Post
            I don't have a problem with this. Baseball seems to have more of a following around the world then, say, football (which the NFL has been trying to take worldwide for a while now). I remember when I went to Australia, there was actually a MLB game on TV down there albeit it was on really early. So, I'd say there's definitely some interest elsewhere.
            We get baseball at least 5 days a week on pay tv. There is no lack of baseball televised here.
            As for it being early, I personally have no issue waking up at 5am to watch playoff games.
            RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

What is the seating capacity of this facility?

Comment

It will be 50k for the event.
                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

So found this picture, would it be accurate for what the event layout will be?

813950-baseball-at-scg.jpg

Comment

May I digress. I am happy that MLB is coming to Australia, but isn't it time for MLB to reward the DR for providing 10% of MLB players. I watched the Marlins and Brewers last week and I think the Brewers had 5 or 6 Dominican starters including the pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by cutchemist42 View Post
                      So found this picture, would it be accurate for what the event layout will be?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]126149[/ATTACH]
                      I don't think they're sure yet. There are renovations going on at the SCG that are yet unfinished.
                      Still, that is a lot of foul territory.
                      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

In 2015 MLB is supposed to start overhere in Holland (Europe). So the Dutch MLB fans have to be patient for some time!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                          May I digress. I am happy that MLB is coming to Australia, but isn't it time for MLB to reward the DR for providing 10% of MLB players. I watched the Marlins and Brewers last week and I think the Brewers had 5 or 6 Dominican starters including the pitcher.
                          there isn't any growth potential there though, and that's what this is about, not rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
                            I don't think they're sure yet. There are renovations going on at the SCG that are yet unfinished.
                            Still, that is a lot of foul territory.
                            Unless they put up fencing to limit the area, this may end up being one of the most pitcher-friendly parks ever used for an MLB game. Can;t wait to see actual configurations/field dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by cutchemist42 View Post
                              Unless they put up fencing to limit the area, this may end up being one of the most pitcher-friendly parks ever used for an MLB game. Can;t wait to see actual configurations/field dimensions.
                              http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx105775.gif

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X