2014 MLB season to open with Dodgers/Diamondbacks in Syndey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenpoint View Post
    I think there will quite be a few Aussies going just to experience Major League Baseball, and they'll be happy to pay anything to get that experience.

Me, I'll be setting limits on how much I spend on my 14-year-old son and myself on the day. Sure we wanna try some classic baseball food and take home a cap or t-shirt each, but we can't afford to go overboard!
    I'm definitely in the former category. It'll end up being an expensive weekend away. I'm just hoping the pricing of basic items doesn't go overboard!
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Are both games sold out?
      Also I found this pic on twitter this doesn't look good.This is 10 minutes before the ball game starts.
      Australia national team vs Dodgers.Hopefully people will show up.
      BjJ9JFfCIAAph__.jpg
      Last edited by jeter2; 03-20-2014, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be many there for the warm up games. There seems to be seats still around. Just playing around, I managed to find 6 seats in a row that weren't sold in the gold section.
        RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Here's yer proof of the $A40 hot dog!

superdog 20140320.jpg

https://twitter.com/Frenchyy91/statu...166208/photo/1

Comment

I'm doing the challenge on Saturday night...I may wish for death afterwards though.
            RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Boxscore said 14,000 for the game. Also, an article on the game.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/baseball...320-hvky4.html
              Last edited by cutchemist42; 03-20-2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

It seems a very generous 14,000. A lot of the crowd seemed preoccupied and barely paying attention. It looked like your average ABL game sadly.
                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Impressive shut out victory from Australia over the Diamonbacks, considering that same team lost all of their games at the WBC excactly one year ago. It kind of shows about the good level the WBC had. Regards!

Comment

attendance was listed at 38,266. I was asleep and have no opinion on how accurate that is.

another NYT article talking about MLB's ambitions/intentions

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/sp...-day.html?_r=0

Comment

Sydney Morning Herald has a few decent articles on the subject. One I liked was this one, showcasing how much Australian baseball players have brought into the economy, and a desire for more international games to be played beyond the WBC.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/australi...322-hvllo.html

http://www.smh.com.au/execute_search...&ss=smh.com.au

Comment

I'd like to see Australia pull decent crowds to the WBC qualifier before we start planning for more MLB games and lauding this as a huge success in growing baseball in this country.
                        RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
                          I'd like to see Australia pull decent crowds to the WBC qualifier before we start planning for more MLB games and lauding this as a huge success in growing baseball in this country.
                          Oh c'mon brewcrew82, just let me see the Mets at the SCG before we decide no more MLB in Australia!

Comment

I was actually expecting maybe some WBC news to come out of this event, like announcing a qualifier.

Comment

I think your concerns are justified. It is sort of like soccer here: When the US hosts the World Cup, the stadiums are packed, but it doesn't really translate to support for the domestic league (MLS). In Australia's case, crowds come out for two MLB teams...but the ABL season is over and won't start again until October. That's too long a time to try to carry a baseball buzz in terms of fans showing up for games.

But the success of the MLB games might be used to convince Australia to allocate more resources to developing baseball, like the article discussed. At least it would be some benefit coming from the games.
                              "You can hate a man for many reasons. Color is not one one of them."--Pee Wee Reese

Comment

http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/...-seen-baseball
                                funny buzzfeed article by an Australian explaining baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X