X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by island slugger View Post
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/...-seen-baseball
    funny buzzfeed article by an Australian explaining baseball
    IDK if he's serious or trying to be funny but that was a dumb article.

Comment

There is no way it's serious. You'd see the exact same article if the game was played in the UK.
      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Can't you guys take a joke? If you look closely it saids its a BUZZFEED ARTICLE! of course it's not serious... just a genuine reaction from an Australian person who has never seen a baseball game before.

Comment

Originally posted by island slugger View Post
          Can't you guys take a joke?
          I can't, no.
          RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

I went to the second exhibition game and the first real game. It was quite an interesting experience for me. I've seen MLB games in 28 other stadiums so I have a bit to compare this one to.

The stadium is quite old so it's a bit cramped. At a place like Fenway or Wrigley you can overlook this as there's a ton of history. Sydney Cricket Ground has no such baseball history (yeah, I know some games were played here forever ago, but that doesn't really count). It's also a cricket stadium so the amount of foul territory made for some pretty awful seats if you weren't behind home plate. Concessions were also ridiculously priced. I think a hat was something like A$50-60. Australian dollars are worth $0.94 so you can do the math there.

Baseball isn't that popular in Australia and the fans around me kept getting confused by cricket-like rules that didn't apply. A foul ball in the seats behind home plate in baseball is not something to get excited about

I think this whole thing was an ambitious attempt by MLB but I think they were also looking at the dollar signs when they did it. There's plenty of countries with lots of baseball tradition that would have loved to do this. Australia has a lot more money than these countries. Australia has a baseball league now, but baseball is still way behind other sports in Australia.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X