Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South African Baseball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • South African Baseball

    After reading that Sth Africa were mentioned as possible starters in the 2006 World Championships I have tried to research baseball in that country - so far not much info found. Three reference sites as follows:
    http://www.baseball.ch/2003/F/MC/RSA.html - 10k
    http://www.maykuth.com/Africa/base506.htm
    http://www.modernerabaseball.com/id41.html

    Hmmm....the MLB ulteria motive. Is this why they want Sth Africa in the WC?
    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 05-12-2005, 08:46 PM.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

    No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

  • #2
    In trying further research I found the following link which I have posted in the Seattle Mariner's forum, but will copy the Sth African references here:

    We have got representatives all over the world," Engle said............ "We have them in South Africa and China, too. We've had to analyze the level of baseball they play in those countries and blend that into our analysis. It's not hit-and-miss, at least not much."

    Some Mariners scouts have got to be frequent flier All-Stars. Wayne Norton, for example, has responsibility for Canada and Europe but heads the charge into South Africa, too.

    South Africa? Don't they play rugby, cricket and soccer? Well, yes. But they have Little League and high school baseball, too. Norton got Seattle its first signee from South Africa 18 months ago when he brought right-handed pitcher Tyrone Lamont into the organization.

    The Mariners don't want to tip their hand, but it's no secret that South Africa, where baseball is played more often and at a much higher level than is generally acknowledged in the U.S., figures to be a gold mine for talent in the next decade or two.
    If you want to read the whole article click on the following link - truly international flavour!

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba...bminors31.html
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

    No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

    Comment


    • #3
      With all sorts respect, they are playing a lot better than me, but why should a South African baseball team play at this tournament? Only to give the continent of Africa a representative?

      Come on. They don't even get close to the MLB level.

      Comment


      • #4
        The argument that you have to have a representative from the african continent, wich is so often forgotten and left to his own misery, is a very valid one if you ask me. They would get killed but still, I think Africa deserves the be there.
        From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, there should be one from every continent. Sure, South Africa may not come to mind when you think of "Baseball Powerhouse", but international competition isn't just over who'll win and who'll lose. It's also national pride and the chance to meet the world's best. I mean, look at the Little League world series, every year there's a team from Europe or Africa that has no chance and they know it. They just come to have fun and play against the world's best in a world class ballpark.


          So I say South Africa should come. Even though they'll end up losing games by double digits, it'll still be a great thing, to see the world's best, not just the Western Hemispheres.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think it is apparent in a couple of the sites I have listed that the MLB themselves see South Africa as a probable future drawing point for players for MLB teams, and they are keen to involve S.A. at this level of competition. S.A. did compete at the 2000 Olympics and have competed at some of the World Championships. I guess they need to start somewhere and it is wonderful that the game should be fostered in more parts of the world, but from what I have read it seems to be all about MLB. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to everyone's individual opinion.
            "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

            No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
              I think it is apparent in a couple of the sites I have listed that the MLB themselves see South Africa as a probable future drawing point for players for MLB teams, and they are keen to involve S.A. at this level of competition. S.A. did compete at the 2000 Olympics and have competed at some of the World Championships. I guess they need to start somewhere and it is wonderful that the game should be fostered in more parts of the world, but from what I have read it seems to be all about MLB. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to everyone's individual opinion.
              I know that they have played at the 2000 Olympics. They have beaten the Netherlands overthere. Because of that defeat, the Dutch did not reach the final four. :grouchy

              But two years ago I have seen them play here in the Netherlands at an international tournament. Then they didn't look that good.

              But you are right. They have to start somewhere.
              Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 05-14-2005, 04:00 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by yankees rule
                With all sorts respect, they are playing a lot better than me, but why should a South African baseball team play at this tournament? Only to give the continent of Africa a representative?
                To be honest, I consider that a perfectly reasonable justification. If we're going to have a world cup, let's include at least one African team.
                BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

                Comment


                • #9
                  That seems like a really good reason to have them in the tournament if you ask me... I couldn't be a "world" classic without having all the world represented.



                  Originally posted by yankees rule
                  With all sorts respect, they are playing a lot better than me, but why should a South African baseball team play at this tournament? Only to give the continent of Africa a representative?

                  Come on. They don't even get close to the MLB level.
                  Licey campeón today and always!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm a South African Team Member!!!! please respond

                    Hey all you guys on here. I'm Mike and i'm a player in the South African National Team. I managed to find this site by chance and was quite amused when i did. On the one hand i liked some of the posts and on the other you guys just seemed to shoot our team down a little....dont you think we deserve the bennifit of doubt? Sure we aren't the greatest baseball nation, having national sports such as cricket and rugby and soccer makes it a little tough to persue it as much as you guys do. We are really excited to have the opportunity to play in your country against the worlds best. I have been in many tournaments, but none i'm sure will ever compare to this one next year.

                    We have so many passionate players here that eat, sleep and just dream baseball, and wish we had what you guys have. I admit we might not be on a MLB Standard, but i still believe we are contenders, and believe me, i dont ever see any country beating us by double didget figures.

                    I hope you guys respond to me and maybe we can chat a little and learn a little more bout each other and the game.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mike South Africa
                      Hey all you guys on here. I'm Mike and i'm a player in the South African National Team. I managed to find this site by chance and was quite amused when i did. On the one hand i liked some of the posts and on the other you guys just seemed to shoot our team down a little....dont you think we deserve the bennifit of doubt? Sure we aren't the greatest baseball nation, having national sports such as cricket and rugby and soccer makes it a little tough to persue it as much as you guys do. We are really excited to have the opportunity to play in your country against the worlds best. I have been in many tournaments, but none i'm sure will ever compare to this one next year.

                      We have so many passionate players here that eat, sleep and just dream baseball, and wish we had what you guys have. I admit we might not be on a MLB Standard, but i still believe we are contenders, and believe me, i dont ever see any country beating us by double didget figures.

                      I hope you guys respond to me and maybe we can chat a little and learn a little more bout each other and the game.
                      Hi there Mike South Africa. Good to have you around. Enjoy your stay here.

                      Well, I was the one being a bit sceptical about the South African team participating with the world cup.

                      You guys beat the Netherlands in the 2000 Olympics, but I have seen you play two years ago in the Netherlands, during a international tournament. You were a lot better than I will ever be, but you didn't have a chance against our national team.

                      But never mind my criticism. Baseball can use some other countries than the usual. The more, the better.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I hate to give the bump to a thread that's so old, but I find S. Africa as a very intriguing baseball country. They can definately count me as a fan in the WBC in March, even though they are probably bound to get slaughtered.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a good friend in South Africa. I'll ask him to find out what he can
                          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                          Carl Yastrzemski

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It is sad that South Africa's best pitcher is on the DL of the Wichita Wranglers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              South Africa Rulez!

                              Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I am also fan of South African Baseball.

                              Sure, they did end up last at the Worldchampionship in Holland, but I do think they are capable of ending up higher in the coming years! They have a very young team so.......... The baseball game was sure interesting enough to watch (you go, Mike!).

                              By the way, we have an event coming up in July 2006 in Haarlem/The Netherlands: De Haarlemse Honkbalweek. It´s great to visit this tournament, so just come on over!!!!!

                              So Mike South Africa, please come and visit Haarlem (again), so we can talk some more about South African Baseball

                              greetings, Dutch Girl

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X