Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB European games not going to Netherlands or Italy, but London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB European games not going to Netherlands or Italy, but London?

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/483680650436685824

I kinda dislike this, but just wonder if MLB thinks its easier to convert cricket stadiums to baseball use now. If its in London, it just feels like a quick gimmick/cash grab.

I guess MLB thinks the exposure opportunity is higher in London, but yeah, have to wonder if they wouldn't be better off building on the existing cultures (however fledgling) rather than create anew. Probably trying to match the NBA/NFL.

Too bad for Hoofddorp especially given how much they consulted with MLB in construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Lime View Post
      I guess MLB thinks the exposure opportunity is higher in London, but yeah, have to wonder if they wouldn't be better off building on the existing cultures (however fledgling) rather than create anew. Probably trying to match the NBA/NFL.

Too bad for Hoofddorp especially given how much they consulted with MLB in construction.
      Maybe they can play in both London and the Netherlands simultaneously.

Comment

Some of the comments to the tweet that if played in London it would be like a gimmick. I tend to agree! Read from the MisterBaseball site that the Hoofddorp facility could seat up to 30,000 with temporary sitting. That's almost 3 times bigger than the largest spring training park, over 10,000 seat capacity over the largest AAA park and just less than 2,000 seats short of Tropicana Field. A proper facility shouldn't be the issue playing in the Netherlands.

Comment

I would just feel bad for the facility in the Netherlands, sounds like they went out of their way to accomodate MLB standards for future games or even WBC.

I mean, the Australia series at least could have baseball ties to the country it was in, with the Australian NT even getting two games in. This would feel like nothing but a cash grab for ex-pats in London.

Comment

2015 schedule is out, the only international games are in Canada

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/936705...evealed-by-mlb

Comment

So this topic came up on another baseball forum and a very pro uK poster said this. Is the Hoofdoorp stadium really that troubled financially?

The Hoofddorp project (that's the stadium right there - notice empty space down the lines for those temporary seats) ran out of money, and that was where MLB was planning to go first. So that kinda puts to lie the myth that MLB is scared of furriners.
              When you've got a spring training venue like that competing against an Olympic Stadium that is desperate to fill the place with events and offers luxury boxes, better facilities, moveable seats to fit in a properly-sized field (no Dutch football stadium has this) and better capacity to handle 40,000+ people (Hoofddorp was only aiming for a capacity of about 28,000), running out of money is sort of the straw that breaks the camel's back. Plus, as I've pointed out, it's a 40 minute flight from Amsterdam to London. You could fly to the UK for a day game and be home by dinner (people do this all the time for football matches). So Dutch people are hardly excluded.

Comment

I would like to see Lord's Cricket Ground host an MLB game

Comment

As a US citizen living in the UK I would love an international game in London. However, I would be concerned the demand would not be great. Access to the NFL is easy and big business here, as shown by the International Series games played at Wembley. The NBA is also exceedingly popular here. The only sport which I see jerseys being sold in regular sporting goods stores, and also had games played in the UK. Both the NBA and NFL are big business too, with many individuals sporting jerseys such as NE Patriots, SF 49ers, Brooklyn Nets, LA Lakers, etc. However, it is a very much token affair to see somebody wearing an MLB jersey, and usually only Yankees anyway. I think that if the MLB was to send the Yankees over to London it would be huge business, but I fear other teams, perhaps barring the Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox, would fail to attract enough people. As stated by a colleague recently "Its just glorified rounders".
                  MySpace Codes

Comment

MLB will not appear in London for 2017 probably because their precious players union

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                      MLB will not appear in London for 2017 probably because their precious players union
                      Not just that. It is also a WBC year. I doubt we see any international games outside of North America next year.
                      sigpic
                      World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
                      NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
                      NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
                      NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

I don't understand why MLB has never played any regular season games or exhibition (as far I know) in Europe. Why is this taking so long? The NFL, NBA and NHL regularly play games there starting more than a decade ago. Can't a cricket stadium temporarily be converted as was done in Australia.

Comment

Just read on ballparkdigest that the Red Sox and Yankees considered for a two-game series in London for 2018.
                          sigpic
                          World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
                          NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
                          NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
                          NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

I am going to attend the WBC First Round in Miami and the Semi-Finals/Finals
                            Round in Los Angeles. I already have lodging and airfare paid for.

My question concerns tickets. Purchasing the Semi-Finals/Finals tickets in Los
                            Angeles is not possible on the Internet site because it says that the entire
                            stadium is sold out. No problem - I will be able to get scalper tickets there easily.

However, in Miami, it is a different situation. I am only going to Games 2-6,
                            and I don't want to pay an extra $ 75 for Game One that I will not use and not
                            be able to sell since I will arrive in Miami the morning after Game One is
                            played. Do you all think my costs will be minimized by buying five tickets from
                            a scalper in Miami, or by buying a six-game strip and losing the cost of Game
                            One?

Comment

Concerning London vs. Hoofddorp. If MLB sends both the Yankees and the Red
                              Sox, it will be a sellout in either location.

Vaessen Stadium in Hoofddorp would seat 30,000 while London's Olympic Stadium would seat 60,000. Checkmark for London.

Hoofddorp has done the hard work to make their stadium 100 % in compliance with MLB's demands. London has not. Checkmark for Hoofddorp.

The Red Sox and Yankees both have financial investments in English soccer -
                              the Red Sox with Liverpool, and the Yankees with Manchester City. Checkmark for London. This may be the most important criteria when MLB decides between
                              Hoofddorp and London.

It would be very sad since A. Netherlands is much more supportive of baseball
                              than is London, and (B) they did all that work to make Hoofddorp meet all the
                              standards for an MLB stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X