No announcement yet.

an international draft and its effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an international draft and its effects?

There has been some talk about an international draft. many owners want it and Manfred has talked about it too.

in theory that should increase parity because big market Teams can't buy top international Talent away from small market Teams.

however there are also some issues:

-japanese and korean Baseball would lose Money because they could not negotiate compensation fees anymore

-MLB Teams would lose incentive to have Baseball academies abroad because they can't be sure they get the Talent they have trained. this could be a negative effect for latin Baseball

-Players from less developed Baseball countries would have to compete with american and latin Talent. since those Players are usually more raw they would drop to the end of the draft and only get tiny signing bonuses meaning they would only have a tiny MILB salary to finance relocation and living in the US. that could prevent many from trying it unless they have rich parents.

would an international draft kill international Baseball or increase parity among teams?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

I am not sure if it will necessarily be good for International Baseball and MLB can say all it wants about the benefits of an International Draft, but it all comes down to money. The owners want to spend less of it on 16 year olds from Latin America. MLBPA boss, Tony Clark has not completely bought into the benefits of an International Draft either, but perhaps he is saying this, because about a third of MLB’s players are born outside of the United States. I read or saw somewhere that a petition against it circulated around some club houses during Spring Training 2013; which some of MLB’s biggest Latin American stars signed. However, the Union could be using the International Draft as a bargaining chip to gain something else. Any way you cut it, the future of prospective young international free agents is in the hands of Billionaires and Millionaires; and they probably see themselves as the only ones who should benefit from free market capitalism.

I don’t buy the whole parity argument either, MLB has experienced parity in recent years and I am not sure how much more parity they want. Teams are already penalized for signing Type A Free Agents by having their Draft Picks taken away, why don’t they do the same when teams sign top International Free Agents on July 2nd? MLB already has “restrictions” on how much they can spend on International Free Agents and yet teams exceed these “limits”; the Yankees made a mockery of this system last year.

Puerto Rico is part of the Draft and many baseball people there don’t like it, because its players are at a disadvantage when it comes to their American and Canadian counterparts. There are fewer opportunities for them to develop their players on the island, Carlos Correa is an exception, but others like Francisco Lindor and Javier Baez have come to the United States and have benefited from the opportunities afforded to them stateside. The same cannot be said for the Dominican Republic, a sovereign nation which has no scholastic system, state system and little involvement at youth level. Talented kids are discovered by “buscones” playing in sandlots and are given a choice to dedicate their adolescence to honing their baseball skills or going to school; very few get to accomplish both. MLB has regulated the situation in the Dominican Republic with better background checks for identity and age falsification, as well as some testing for PEDS; the buscon has been forced to adapt or die.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine wanted to get into the business of developing players in the Dominican Republic and his first project was a U.S. born 14 year old. I told him that maybe that player would be subjected to the MLB Draft and it might be a waste of money and time. He disagreed, then I reached out to a reliable source and asked if this kid could get around the MLB Draft? And to my surprise, he said yes, that the kid’s parents had to establish residency outside of the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico for over twelve months and he would be eligible at age 16 to become an International Free Agent. If the next Bryce Harper were to go this route, then MLB would certainly make sure it doesn’t happen again or else the whole concept of an amateur draft is in trouble. Ultimately, it is not a question of if, but when; sooner or later billionaires almost always get their way.

Some sources:
    Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 11-06-2015, 09:27 PM. Reason: added source

Comment

Fascinating article about the Mexican league. It just changed its rules about sanctioning players who sign with MLB. It looks like an MLB draft could be coming to Mexico.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...suna/77123712/

Comment

^This reminds me of the Junichi Tazawa situation with the NPB. Nonetheless, MLB is inching towards their goal of an international draft.

Comment

Buster Olney wrote:
          TORONTO -- Major League Baseball is pushing for an international draft as a centerpiece of change in the next collective bargaining agreement with the players' association, according to sources familiar with the proposal.

The current agreement expires in December, and the two sides have been in negotiations.

Under the terms of MLB's initial concept, the new international draft system would start in March of 2018, with a 10-round draft held over two days. As the new structure evolved, with terms grandfathered into the process, the minimum age for draft-eligible players would be 18 years old by 2021.
          Read whole article: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...-draft-new-cba

No surprise, the billionaires are closer to getting their way.

Comment

I have to believe that Asian countries will be exempt. I can't imagine NPB looking to fondly on a draft of their players.

Comment

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...7YEtTDIksJm.97

Major League Baseball informed teams tonight that it has cancelled its Dominican national showcase, which was scheduled for tomorrow and Thursday.

In response to a report that MLB is pushing to implement an international draft and raise the signing age, among other international reforms, trainers and players in the Dominican Republic planned to protest by having the players who were invited skip the showcase.

While it’s unknown how many players would have shown up had MLB continued with the showcase, several trainers were adamant that their players would not have attended the event. That decision drew the strong displeasure of MLB officials, who tried to get lesser prospects not on the original roster to show up as replacement players before ultimately canceling the showcase tonight.

The showcase typically features many of the prominent Dominican amateur prospects who are 15 and 16 years old and will become eligible to sign beginning on July 2, 2017. The protest was only for MLB events, so teams will continue to scout players at trainers’ fields, at their own academies (if the player is 16 and thus eligible to enter the academy) and in trained-organized leagues, including a four-day Dominican Prospect League tournament that concluded today.

The next major MLB event in Latin America is its annual Venezuelan national showcase, which is scheduled for Nov. 16-17 in Panama.

Comment

MLB Players Appear In Videos Opposing International Draft

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...ztPCf6gMWBx.97

Comment

for the players an international draft definitely would be bad. international players will get smaller signing bonuses (no more Moncada like deals who got much more than a number 1 overall pick) and for the American players it is not good either because it means more competition for the top draft spots.

the one who benefits would be the owners especially small market owners.
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

GMs Support change in the International Market

Twins GM Thad Levine. “My concern is just simply about the development of players there. I think sometimes we demonize the trainers down there. In practice they play a vital role in the development of the players. They’re investing a lot of time and money and coaching in making sure these players become the players who we ultimately sign. Whether it’s in Mexico where the professional teams are more invested in the development of players or other places in Latin America where it’s actually the trainers or buscones who are doing it. I would hope that we’re taking as much care of this process to make sure that we don’t lose the opportunity to develop these players by coming up with a draft. Fundamentally I think the draft in and of itself may be a good idea to level the playing field and eliminate one of the last bastions where we can play on the margins of the rules of Major League Baseball. I think that’s predicated on us making sure we have the structure in place to develop the players.

“I think a lot is made throughout our industry in ‘what is the next competitive advantage?’ I think the one advantage that has prevailed over the lifetime of baseball is talent evaluation. The team with the best talent evaluators typically acquire the best talent, and the team with the best talent typically wins. Now we can try and apply a formula to that as well to try to assist the talent evaluator, but it still does come down to who has the best guys on the ground in scouting. In Latin America that is accentuated because you really can pound the pavement and find guys who are the proverbial diamond in the rough in the amateur context.

“Once again, but I think comes back to the development of the players. Is the trainer now going to be less motivated to take the kid when he’s 8-12 and invest time? Is it later at which point maybe he hasn’t developed enough skill set to really become somebody we’d pursue? Inherently I think it’s a great idea to move (the signing age) up to 18 because because kids are a little bit more mature, it’s a little bit more consistent with the amateur draft so there’s a little bit more overlap in the scouting process. Once again, we’d just need to have that mechanism in place to make they’re going to develop them to that age and not discard them too early because they don’t view them as assets they can truly make money off of.”
                    Read whole article: http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...UVE4jTpv5Cz.97

Comment

Baseball America: International Draft Is About Money, Not Balance Or Transparency

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...prT0elld6Zo.99

Comment

In and of its self an International Draft is a good idea; the equal distribution of amateur talent prevents hoarding to an extent. Organizations with better talent evaluators always seem to find hidden gems. MLB Owners are business oriented people and their desire to reduce expenses on international free agents is understandable. The MLBPA have no obligation to players outside of MLB and that is also understandable. Dominican trainers (or buscones) have been voicing their displeasure with the potential for an MLB International Draft; which almost seems like an inevitability. After many years of dishonesty; some of them are reaping what they have sewn.

But I continue to oppose an International Draft, not to oppose billionaires and millionaires, or to support the livelihood of some questionable trainers. My opposition is strictly based on benefiting the next generations of young Dominican players. Their government and most of the local private sector has failed them. As maligned as buscones are, they filled a void by scouting the countryside, identifying and developing the next crop of young players. MLB’s proposal is supposed to increase the international signing age to 18 and there is no mention of salary slotting details. Those trainers will be forced to either:

A) Start training players two years later and keep their expenses the same
                        B) Reduce their stable of players to keep their expenses the same
                        C) Increase their expenses to continue their output from previous years

Either way, there are no guarantees; if a top tiered player falls to a lower draft slot, their trainer could still actually lose money. What would be their incentive to continue in the business of training players? MLB itself isn’t to going search for talented 11 & 12 year olds. There are no state run scholastic systems in place, there are a few youth leagues, but not enough to replace the current system.

A long term solution would be to have the government establish a scholastic system; but Dominican politicians make buscones look like Mother Theresa. Many young Dominican baseball players are at risk of not getting any training; due to irresponsible and selfish adults that run the sport there. I would recommend that MLB offer their expertise and organization, if the Dominican government offers money and other resources to help develop a comprehensive scholastic system in that nation. The Administrators would be accountable to both MLB and the Dominican government; but selected by MLB. Once the system has several successful years, then Dominican players can join the draft. I believe this system may yield more high quality players than the previous system. A system where young men are forced to choose between preparing for a possible career in professional baseball or school; and rarely do both. A system where late bloomers are rarely given an opportunity to develop, because many buscones value raw athleticism over everything else.
                        Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 11-24-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Albert Pujols may be Dominican, but his road to the Show was very different from many of his countrymen.

Source: http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...OVTZdt7Wlry.97

Comment

Originally posted by SouthwestAmAZins View Post
                            Albert Pujols may be Dominican, but his road to the Show was very different from many of his countrymen.

Source: http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...OVTZdt7Wlry.97
                            Friend of mine was doing a cruise of various Caribbean spots five or so years ago, and he found himself in Santo Domingo discussing baseball with a local. Sammy Sosa was God to this man, and he discussed a couple other star Dominicans. My friend brought up Pujols and the guy waved him off with a "he's not a big deal".

Comment

Originally posted by Cincy Fan View Post
                              Friend of mine was doing a cruise of various Caribbean spots five or so years ago, and he found himself in Santo Domingo discussing baseball with a local. Sammy Sosa was God to this man, and he discussed a couple other star Dominicans. My friend brought up Pujols and the guy waved him off with a "he's not a big deal".
                              I don't know, but Pujols is a likely first ballot Hall of Fame player and Sosa was a one dimensional meat monster that either hit home runs or struck out. It appears that your friend encountered the idiot from that village.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X