Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why did korean position players have more success than japanese in the last decade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did korean position players have more success than japanese in the last decade?

There weren't that many korean Players either and Japan had matsui and Ichiro (still around) but after them nobody really made it.

Korea on the other Hand had two very succesfull ones (choo and kang). the Jury is still out on park but I guess he still will be better than anyone post Ichiro out of Japan.

korean Players especially seem to have more power than japanese ones, almost all japanese hitters have been slap hitters. what is the reason for that?

interestingly pitching is vice versa, many japanese pitchers were good "at least for a couple years before they got hurt) but almost nobody from Korea made it (ryu was solid for about 1.5 seasons but then got hurt and is yet to come back).
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    There weren't that many korean Players either and Japan had matsui and Ichiro (still around) but after them nobody really made it.

Korea on the other Hand had two very succesfull ones (choo and kang). the Jury is still out on park but I guess he still will be better than anyone post Ichiro out of Japan.

korean Players especially seem to have more power than japanese ones, almost all japanese hitters have been slap hitters. what is the reason for that?

interestingly pitching is vice versa, many japanese pitchers were good "at least for a couple years before they got hurt) but almost nobody from Korea made it (ryu was solid for about 1.5 seasons but then got hurt and is yet to come back).
    Nori Aoki hit .285-.288 each of his first four years in MLB with an OPS+ around 100. I would say that he "really made it". Choo is an odd case as he didn't come through the Korean pro ranks. So the KBO has produced one reliable MLB starter in the past few years and NPB has produced one. Hardly a blowout for Korea.

Comment

why did korean position players have more success than japanese in the last decade?
      Japanese players had more success since 2006. And it's not even that close.

Try it, it's free!...
      http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post

What makes you think Korean position players were more successful than Japanese?
        Because the stats says vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuwan View Post
          What makes you think Korean position players were more successful than Japanese?
          Because the stats says vice versa.
          You are to right, I was basically only looking at the last 5 to 6 years when no Japanese player made the jump successfully but a few Koreans did. If you go back a couple more years the Japanese look better.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

In terms of major league success, NPB has been able to keep its players for seven to nine years (I forget the exact number), so NPB players can only come at or past their peak. The Koreans seems to be able to get to the majors younger, when they're still developing and can get a few years to their peak before they start their decline due to aging. The Japanese player may be better and not have as good a MLB career as a result.
            Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
            Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X