2021 World Baseball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cincy Fan View Post
    If the bottom 4 teams end up being Taiwan, China, Canada, and Mexico, the only qualifier where the other teams will have much if any chance will be vs. China, so will be interesting to see how MLB setup the qualifier draw (I know, long time away).
    So forgot where I read it, but remember hearing Canada passed on hosting a quali for the 2013 tourney which is why they played in Germany. Now out of the remaining relegated teams, we know Taiwan and Mexico have supported qualis. I also dont think China hosts a quali. Panama has hosted 2 qualis and is still sitting there hoping to qualify again. Germany has passed on hosting as some have said they didnt like their experience the last time.

I think Mexico hosts another quali, and the makeup of the pool looks similar: Mex/Ger/CR/Nic

Panama hosts another quali that looks similar: Pan/France/Spain/Colum. replacement

Taiwan gets what Australia did last time: Tai/NZ/Phill/South Africa?

So leaving Canada/Brazil/GB/Pak or another team need somewhere to play.

Comment

My guess is they would do it in November in Florida, might be able to attract Canadian snowbirds to go to the games.

Comment

My guess is we'll get sub-qualis in 2019. Then some quali's in 2020.
        sigpic
        World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
        NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
        NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
        NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

My early WBCQ host predictions are Culiacan, New Taipei City, Panama & Vancouver
          Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 03-13-2017, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutt View Post
            My guess is we'll get sub-qualis in 2019. Then some quali's in 2020.
            I like the idea of a sub qualifier. Make it 8 teams in one pool and the top 4 play in a qualifier. If you look at the FIFA World Cup the real weak countries play each other before they even get a chance to play the big boys in their respective confederation. I think this would help baseball grow more quickly.

Comment

So if there was ever a time to go to 20 teams, would it be now? The relegated teams are from either decent baseball markets or ones MLB wants to develop in Canada/China/Mexico/Taiwan. What if you move to 20 teams, guarantee they dont drop down, and hold qualis to bring in 4 more teams?

Comment

Based on our latest Baseball-Fever WBC expansion poll results the 1st round qualifiers could look like this:

Arizona Group
                December 2018
                Florida Group
                November 2018
                Germany Spain
                Argentina Russia
                Pakistan Hong Kong
                Belgium Sweden
                Croatia Philippines
                Thailand Indonesia
                Ireland Sri Lanka
                Ecuador Uganda
                Then the 2nd round of qualifiers may look like this:
                New Taipei City
                Xinzhuang Baseball Stadium
                November 2020
                Managua
                Estadio Nacional Denis Martinez
                March 2020
                Panama City
                Estadio Rod Carew
                March 2020
                Culiacan
                Estadio BBVA
                March 2020
                Relegated Taiwan China Canada Mexico
                2016 WBCQ 2nd South Africa Nicaragua Panama Great Britain
                2016 WBCQ 3rd New Zealand Brazil France Czech Republic
                2018 WBCQ Florida 1 Florida 2 Arizona 1 Arizona 2

Comment

Originally posted by cutchemist42 View Post
                  So if there was ever a time to go to 20 teams, would it be now? The relegated teams are from either decent baseball markets or ones MLB wants to develop in Canada/China/Mexico/Taiwan. What if you move to 20 teams, guarantee they dont drop down, and hold qualis to bring in 4 more teams?
                  I was thinking the same thing, have the first round be 4 groups of 5 teams and have the top 2 of each pool advance to the next round. Also maybe adding a 5th team may prevent teams be logged jam with 2-1 or 1-2 records.

Comment

Post deleted.
                    Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 03-13-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gianc006 View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing, have the first round be 4 groups of 5 teams and have the top 2 of each pool advance to the next round. Also maybe adding a 5th team may prevent teams be logged jam with 2-1 or 1-2 records.
                      This still doesn't eliminate possibility of a log jam; for example:

Team A 4-0
                      Team B 2-2
                      Team C 2-2
                      Team D 2-2
                      Team E 0-4

That being said, I agree that it may be time to expand the main event to 20 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthwestAmAZins View Post
                        This still doesn't eliminate possibility of a log jam; for example:

Team A 4-0
                        Team B 2-2
                        Team C 2-2
                        Team D 2-2
                        Team E 0-4

That being said, I agree that it may be time to expand the main event to 20 teams.
                        Or a 3-way tie of teams at 3-1.

Does increase the chance of meaningless games. The only meaningless games now in the present format is when 2 teams that are 0-2 are playing one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Cincy Fan View Post
                          Or a 3-way tie of teams at 3-1.

Does increase the chance of meaningless games. The only meaningless games now in the present format is when 2 teams that are 0-2 are playing one another.
                          When 0-2 teams play each other in the First Round, based off the current setup the game is not meaningless; the winner finishes 3rd while the loser has to qualify for the next tournament.
                          sigpic
                          World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
                          NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
                          NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
                          NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

Anyone know why Thailand participated in the qualifiers in 2013 but was replaced by Pakistan in 2017?

Comment

Anyone know why Thailand participated in the qualifiers in 2013 but was replaced by Pakistan in 2017?
                              My guess is because Pakistan had done better in international competitions in 2014-2016.

Comment

I like to think that the WBC Steering Committee read one of my posts in the 2017 thread

Originally posted by SouthwestAmAZins
                                Thailand will probably get invited to the next WBCQ despite their losses in the last East Asia Cup. Apparently the IBAF only updates their rankings once a year in December, and with the WBC steering committee potentially making an announcement before December; leaving very little time for them to change their minds about inviting the Thais. Thailand will enjoy padding their IBAF ranking with more WBCQ participation points and continuing a vicious cycle of undeserved berths. :twocents:

Thailand's performances against regional teams in their weight class-

2009 Asia Cup:
                                Lost to Pakistan and Sri Lanka; Gold and Bronze medalists respectively.

2010 Asian Baseball Cup:
                                Lost to Pakistan and Hong Kong

2011 SEA Games:
                                Lost to Philippines and Indonesia; Gold and Silver medalists respectively.

2012 East Asia Cup:
                                Lost to the Philippines and defeated Hong Kong; took Silver medal

2012 WBC Qualifiers:
                                Lost to the Philippines

2014 Asia Games:
                                Defeated Hong Kong

2015 East Asia Cup:
                                Lost to the Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Hong Kong
                                Source: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...50#post2449350

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X