2021 World Baseball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthwestAmAZins View Post

The WBC Expansion poll was always meant for the Qualifiers. Your format really works for me, but I what if there were more games with the same urgency; that is why the modified double elimination exists in the first place. I wouldn’t mind seeing them using a single round robin in a first round that determine seeding for a modified double elimination second round. More games for us, same urgency for the WBCSC and more opportunities to build rivalries.
    For example:
    Winnipeg Qualifier: 1st round schedule
    Game 1 Game 2 Game 3
    Canada Vs New Zealand Vs Great Britain Vs South Africa
    South Africa Vs Great Britain Vs New Zealand Vs Canada
    Great Britain Vs South Africa Vs Canada Vs New Zealand
    New Zealand Vs Canada Vs South Africa Vs Great Britain
    Assuming that the 1st round standings are:
    W L
    Canada 3 0
    South Africa 2 1
    New Zealand 1 2
    Great Britain 0 3
    Winnipeg Qualifier: 2nd round schedule would look like

Game 1: New Zealand vs South Africa
    Game 2: Great Britain vs Canada
    Game 3: Game 1 Loser vs Game 2 Loser
    Game 4: Game 1 Winner vs Game 2 Winner
    Game 5: Game 3 Winner vs Game 4 Loser
    Game 6: Game 5 Winner vs Game 4 Winner

Minimum games played: 5
    Maximum Games played: 7
    Total Games played: 12

On the other hand, this would be too over done for a qualifier.
    The only problem I have with a round robin format to determine seeding for a modified double elimination second round would be the no sense of urgency to win because none of those games are important and even if you end up 0-3, it doesn't matter because the most important games are the double elimination games.It would seem more filler and

You could still incorporate a modified double elimination second round with something.

Mexico City, Mexico Qualifier: 1st round schedule Group A
    Group A Game 1 Game 2 Game 3
    Mexico Vs Russia Vs Argentina Vs Croatia
    Argentina Vs Croatia Vs Mexico Vs Russia
    Russia Vs Mexico Vs Croatia Vs Argentina
    Croatia Vs Argentina Vs Russia Vs Mexico
    Mexico City, Mexico Qualifier: 1st round schedule Group B
    Group B Game 1 Game 2 Game 3
    Panama Vs Austria Vs Spain Vs Guatemala
    Spain Vs Guatemala Vs Panama Vs Austria
    Guatemala Vs Spain Vs Austria Vs Panama
    Austria Vs Panama Vs Guatemala Vs Spain
    Random 1st round standings
    Group A W L
    Mexico 3 0
    Argentina 2 1
    Croatia 1 2
    Russia 0 3
    Group B W L
    Panama 3 0
    Spain 2 1
    Guatemala 1 2
    Austria 0 3
    Top two from teams from group play in a modified double elimination. If teams are tie then play a Tie breaker game.

Game 1: Argentina(Away) vs Panama(Home)
    Game 2: Spain(Away) vs Mexico(Home)
    Game 3: Game 1 Loser vs Game 2 Loser
    Game 4: Game 1 Winner vs Game 2 Winner
    Game 5: Game 3 Winner vs Game 4 Loser
    Game 6: Game 5 Winner vs Game 4 Winner

Minimum games played: 3
    Maximum Games played: 7
    Total Games played: 17

or if you make the teams play each other twice in the first round.

Minimum games played: 6
    Maximum Games played: 10
    Total Games played: 29

I mean if you really want to, you can have the first round one year and the second round another year. Their are many ways this could go.
    1. Have the teams play each other twice in round robin in the first round then do modified double elimination in the second round.
    2. Have the teams play each other twice in round robin in the first round one year then the next year then do modified double elimination.
    3. Have the teams play each other once in round robin in the first round then do modified double elimination in the second round.
    4. Have the teams play each other once in round robin in the first round one year then the next year then do modified double elimination.

Or they could just do what I said in my last post and have everyone play each other twice(I didn't say how many times in my last post) in the first round round robin then just do a semi-final and final round.

Comment

Yes, that makes more sense if you have a very large qualifier with out a pre-qualifying round. Bear with me, as I propose an idea that went totally unacknowledged when I first pitched it. For the sake of this example, let's say that the amount of teams remains the same for both the WBC & its Qualifiers. I'm almost certain that the WBCSC uses a template as a guideline to organize its groups. For example the preliminary grouping for the 2020 WBCQs could look like this:

A B C D
      2017 WBC Relegated teams Mexico Canada China Taiwan
      2016 WBCQ 2nd place teams Nicaragua Great Britain Panama South Africa
      2016 WBCQ 3rd place teams France Brazil Czech Republic New Zealand
      2016 WBCQ 4th place teams Spain Philippines Germany Pakistan
      • Each group has two teams that have played in the main event
      • Each 2016 WBCQ Group has at least one pair of teams together
      This balance & symmetry seems to fall in line the WBC Steering Committee's modus operandi. However, sometimes they will shoe horn a team into a group that makes no sense in order to satisfy the parameters of the previously used WBCQ format. It would make more sense for the them to consider using Asymmetrical Grouping to ensure that all teams are placed in an appropriate group and further cultivate regional rivalries; like the following example:

A B C
      Asia/ Africa/ Oceania Americas Europe
      Qualify for 2021 WBC Taiwan Mexico Great Britain
      Qualify for 2021 WBCQ Group D China Canada France
      Qualify for 2021 WBCQ Group D South Africa Panama Czech Republic
      Eliminated from 2020 WBCQs New Zealand Nicaragua Spain
      Eliminated from 2020 WBCQs Philippines Brazil Germany
      Eliminated from 2020 WBCQs Pakistan

In the example above Taiwan, Mexico & Great Britain advance to the 2021 WBC, then two weeks before the 2021 WBC begins a final WBC Qualifier is played:

D
      Intercontinental
      China
      South Africa
      Canada
      Panama
      France
      Czech Republic

As I previously mentioned, the problem I have with Modified Double elimination is a lower tiered team only gets two games every four years. So, how about a Modified Triple Elimination format instead; it's means more baseball games, it keeps urgency in every game and gives a lower ranked team another game. Here are a some examples to accommodate the number of teams:
      There are many possibilities, any thoughts?
      Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 09-27-2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

MLB helping players from Uganda

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/...sset_1800K.mp4

Comment

Yes, that makes more sense if you have a very large qualifier with out a pre-qualifying round. Bear with me, as I propose an idea that went totally unacknowledged when I first pitched it. For the sake of this example, let's say that the amount of teams remains the same for both the WBC & its Qualifiers. I'm almost certain that the WBCSC uses a template as a guideline to organize its groups. For example the preliminary grouping for the 2020 WBCQs could look like this:

A B C D
          2017 WBC Relegated teams Mexico Canada China Taiwan
          2016 WBCQ 2nd place teams Nicaragua Great Britain Panama South Africa
          2016 WBCQ 3rd place teams France Brazil Czech Republic New Zealand
          2016 WBCQ 4th place teams Spain Philippines Germany Pakistan
          • Each group has two teams that have played in the main event
          • Each 2016 WBCQ Group has at least one pair of teams together

This balance & symmetry seems to fall in line the WBC Steering Committee's modus operandi. However, sometimes they will shoe horn a team into a group that makes no sense in order to satisfy the parameters of the previously used WBCQ format. It would make more sense for the them to consider using Asymmetrical Grouping to ensure that all teams are placed in an appropriate group and further cultivate regional rivalries; like the following example:

A B C
          Asia/ Africa/ Oceania Americas Europe
          Qualify for 2021 WBC Taiwan Mexico Great Britain
          Qualify for 2021 WBCQ Group D China Canada France
          Qualify for 2021 WBCQ Group D South Africa Panama Czech Republic
          Eliminated from 2020 WBCQs New Zealand Nicaragua Spain
          Eliminated from 2020 WBCQs Philippines Brazil Germany
          Eliminated from 2020 WBCQs Pakistan

In the example above Taiwan, Mexico & Great Britain advance to the 2021 WBC, then two weeks before the 2021 WBC begins a final WBC Qualifier is played:

D
          Intercontinental
          China
          South Africa
          Canada
          Panama
          France
          Czech Republic

As I previously mentioned, the problem I have with Modified Double elimination is a lower tiered team only gets two games every four years. So, how about a Modified Triple Elimination format instead; it's means more baseball games, it keeps urgency in every game and gives a lower ranked team another game. Here are a some examples to accommodate the number of teams:

There are many possibilities, any thoughts?
          Man I wish they use a large qualifier. To be honest,I had trouble figuring out the 5 and 6 team bracket at first because I didn't see names in each slot but I think figured it out.
          I really like the idea of the team from the losers bracket has to beat the team from the winners bracket 2 or 3 times based on the number of losses they have when it's the final two teams. Should they not expand the qualifiers or change the format, having the final two teams face each other 2-3 times based on number of loses will be a big plus for me.
          I also don't mind the second and third place teams in each group to play in a wildcard like group and some more games.
          Only problem is the very worst team still only plays three games max and while each lost matters more it doesn't really help if you want inexperience teams to play more while the very best team only needs a 4 game win streak at best.
          And while regional rivalries are great, I personally really like it when teams from different continents face each other in the qualifiers. It gives teams, either inexperienced or non-baseball country playing teams, new chances to play others who are not just in their region. It's not very often you see France vs Panama or Brazil vs Pakistan
          Also the final WBC Qualifier should not be played two weeks before the actual WBC. Not enough time to finalize a whole new roster for the tournament and not enough time for that country's media to talk about it.
          Either way, the amount of games in triple elimination is great. It's still a very large qualifier for just five and six teams. Essentially double the amount of games from the original format. I'm just curious to see how scheduling would work if all of these games are held in one stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Jak View Post

Man I wish they use a large qualifier. To be honest,I had trouble figuring out the 5 and 6 team bracket at first because I didn't see names in each slot but I think figured it out.
            I really like the idea of the team from the losers bracket has to beat the team from the winners bracket 2 or 3 times based on the number of losses they have when it's the final two teams. Should they not expand the qualifiers or change the format, having the final two teams face each other 2-3 times based on number of loses will be a big plus for me.
            I also don't mind the second and third place teams in each group to play in a wildcard like group and some more games.
            Only problem is the very worst team still only plays three games max and while each lost matters more it doesn't really help if you want inexperience teams to play more while the very best team only needs a 4 game win streak at best.
            And while regional rivalries are great, I personally really like it when teams from different continents face each other in the qualifiers. It gives teams, either inexperienced or non-baseball country playing teams, new chances to play others who are not just in their region. It's not very often you see France vs Panama or Brazil vs Pakistan
            Also the final WBC Qualifier should not be played two weeks before the actual WBC. Not enough time to finalize a whole new roster for the tournament and not enough time for that country's media to talk about it.
            Either way, the amount of games in triple elimination is great. It's still a very large qualifier for just five and six teams. Essentially double the amount of games from the original format. I'm just curious to see how scheduling would work if all of these games are held in one stadium.
            The Triple Elimination format would take about ten days with a scheduled make-up date included. With an average of two games played each day, but no more than three games. One venue could easily handle the event, but two venues would add more than enough flexibility if any scheduling issues should arise.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, there are many possibilities. Obviously, there are no perfect formats, but at least the proposal has both: groups of regional rivals and a competitive group from four different continents. MLB could still effectively promote a final qualifier and the teams in this event should be ready to compete in the main event should they advance. Regardless, the final Qualifier doesn’t need to be a few weeks before the main event, but it could serve as a precursor to an expansion of the main event.

Addressing the teams that need more experience, my favorite feature of WBSC baseball events is the Consolation Round; in which eliminated teams play each other. Therefore, making the final standings of an event more representative of actual team strength. Another group can be added to the previous example to include a consolation round; in which the bottom three or four teams could be relegated to a lower ranked group of teams; perhaps into the next wave of WBC expansion. Using the previous example:
            E
            Intercontinental
            Brazil
            Nicaragua
            Spain
            New Zealand
            Philippines
            Germany
            Pakistan
            This Intercontinental group could compete in a Round Robin, a double elimination or a triple elimination format. I personally would prefer a round robin for this group, because it's a more complete evaluation of comparative team strengths. Depending on the format used, every developing team should play a minimum of 5 to 9 games in two WBCQ rounds.
            Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 10-02-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

The Triple Elimination format would take about ten days with a scheduled make-up date included. With an average of two games played each day, but no more than three games. One venue could easily handle the event, but two venues would add more than enough flexibility if any scheduling issues should arise.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, there are many possibilities. Obviously, there are no perfect formats, but at least the proposal has both: groups of regional rivals and a competitive group from four different continents. MLB could still effectively promote a final qualifier and the teams in this event should be ready to compete in the main event should they advance. Regardless, the final Qualifier doesn’t need to be a few weeks before the main event, but it could serve as a precursor to an expansion of the main event.

Addressing the teams that need more experience, my favorite feature of WBSC baseball events is the Consolation Round; in which eliminated teams play each other. Therefore, making the final standings of an event more representative of actual team strength. Another group can be added to the previous example to include a consolation round; in which the bottom three or four teams could be relegated to a lower ranked group of teams; perhaps into the next wave of WBC expansion. Using the previous example:
              E
              Intercontinental
              Brazil
              Nicaragua
              Spain
              New Zealand
              Philippines
              Germany
              Pakistan
              This Intercontinental group could compete in a Round Robin, a double elimination or a triple elimination format. I personally would prefer a round robin for this group, because it's a more complete evaluation of comparative team strengths. Depending on the format used, every developing team should play a minimum of 5 to 9 games in two WBCQ rounds.

I still think it's a bad idea for the final WBC Qualifier to be held two or even a few weeks before the main tournament, not even the final qualifier spot for FIFA World Cup is that late as they give them a few months to prepare for tournament. Also, having the qualifier that late means that who ever makes it will not have a provisional roster should they make the tournament. Not to mention that fact that if no MLB team lets any of their major leaguers play that qualifier, that team will be weak either way should they make the main tournament(examples include Mexico, Canada, Panama, Nicaragua, Brazil). That be too much of a hassle to reshape a whole roster all of sudden. You're essentially asking for permission from a team to use certain players two weeks before it starts. Example: If Joey Votto isn't on the qualifying roster that takes place two weeks before the tournament and team Canada ask him to be be on the main roster after Canada makes it, it wouldn't give him much time at all to prepare for earlier intense games. And no MLB team is going to let their players on that country's team if at the very least they can't get some extra preparation for the tournament starts. Plus MLB teams would like to be notified way ahead of time to know if they players are going to play in the WBC and if they say yes, the team can plan way ahead of time to see who is going to take over in spring training while those players are away.

Another problem is that a team will not have enough time to prepare against other teams or formulate a plan for the whole tournemnt. Considering how strict MLB teams are with their pitchers and the limits for some, their wouldn't be a time to make plan on how they use each one. The triple elimination in itself it a solid idea.

Comment

Honestly I feel like the best bet to improve the qualifiers while still having important games and not make a team like Pakistan play only two-three games max is a round robin format with the four teams(if they do not expand the qualifiers). Have each team face each other twice. The team that goes 6-0 goes or has the best record in the qualifier makes it to the main tournament. And if you really like to, the team that ends up in last place gets regulated to a prequalifier, thus even more reason not to end up last. Gives inexperienced teams like Pakistan or New Zealand six games to play instead of two. It's also fair play because everyone faces each other, not once but twice. Gives teams who seem to be out of it to play spoiler too.
                If a two teams end up 5-1, even better, tie breaker game for the final spot.
                So for example.
                Nicaragua (Host)
                Nicaragua 6-0
                Canada 5-1
                Czech Republic 2-4
                France 0-6
                Still some problems, you don't want a team who is 0-5 play for nothing but they could play spoiler.
                Or you could just have the two top teams from that group play each other depending on the amount of loses like your triple elimination suggested, an idea I really love.

You could just still do a round robin format, have the teams face each other just once, then the top two teams play each other in a mini series depending on the amount of losses each team has.
                Nicaragua (Host)
                Canada 3-0
                Nicaragua 2-1
                Czech Republic 2-1
                France 0-3
                So now Nicaragua have beat Canada twice to make it to the qualifier while Canada only have to win one game.

Nicaragua (Host)
                Nicaragua 2-1
                Canada 2-1
                Czech Republic 1-2
                France 1-2
                Canada and Nicaragua face each other just once, whoever wins, make it to the main tournemnt.

Nicaragua (Host)
                Nicaragua 3-0
                Canada 1-2
                Czech Republic 1-2
                France 1-2
                Canada wins tiebreaker, is now 2-2, Nicaragua still 3-0.
                Canada have to beat Nicaragua three times to make it to the main tournament while Nicaragua only have to win once. Though that might be a bit much and might not be fair considering they whoever wins the tiebreaker game are playing an extra game.

Nicaragua (Host)
                Nicaragua 2-1
                Canada 2-1
                Czech Republic 2-1
                France 0-3
                Canada wins tiebreaker is now 3-1. Now honestly, I don't know how this would work considering that Canada was able to get an extra win thus making Nicaragua having to win twice but will have to lose twice while all Canada has to do is win once so it's not fair unless you only count the win or loss between Nicaragua and Canada. Kind of like a super round. So if Nicaragua beat Canada already in the group they be 1-0 and the Canada wins the tiebreaker they be 0-1 because only the games that the teams played against each other count for the super round. You could use this idea instead in mix with the amount of losses.

I mean their are still some problems. Inexperience teams still only play a max three games but they can play spoiler. How do you set up tiebreakers? Should who ever wins the tiebreaker have that count for their record when they face best team in the final games?

Comment

Not too sure if anybody here heard but New Zealand might be part of the Australia Baseball League next year. If not next year, definitely the 2019-2020 season. Which means they will be getting a baseball stadium to play home games. Which means their is a chance they could potentially host a WBC qualifier when next time comes around. Considering that the stadium will be minor league baseball size(3,000-5,000 seats), this seems like the perfect place and chance to host a qualifier. Assuming that Mexico Nicaragua and Taiwan host, New Zealand could be the perfect place for wildcard like teams that don't fit geographically or rivalry wise. Or could be a group of teams that are at least equally competitive against each other, giving anyone a possible chance to be in the WBC. Basically no true favorites like a Taiwan or Mexico group. This group could be up for grabs.

Mexico: Mexico Panama Germany Great Britain
                  Nicaragua:Nicaragua Canada Czech Republic Spain
                  Taiwan:CT Pakistan South Africa France
                  New Zealand: NZ China Philippines Brazil

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11945156

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...seball-NZ.aspx

http://www.baseballnewzealand.com/newsarticle/55346

Comment

Not too sure if anybody here heard but New Zealand might be part of the Australia Baseball League next year. If not next year, definitely the 2019-2020 season. Which means they will be getting a baseball stadium to play home games. Which means their is a chance they could potentially host a WBC qualifier when next time comes around. Considering that the stadium will be minor league baseball size(3,000-5,000 seats), this seems like the perfect place and chance to host a qualifier. Assuming that Mexico Nicaragua and Taiwan host, New Zealand could be the perfect place for wildcard like teams that don't fit geographically or rivalry wise. Or could be a group of teams that are at least equally competitive against each other, giving anyone a possible chance to be in the WBC. Basically no true favorites like a Taiwan or Mexico group. This group could be up for grabs.

Mexico: Mexico Panama Germany Great Britain
                    Nicaragua:Nicaragua Canada Czech Republic Spain
                    Taiwan:CT Pakistan South Africa France
                    New Zealand: NZ China Philippines Brazil

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11945156

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...seball-NZ.aspx

http://www.baseballnewzealand.com/newsarticle/55346
                    I don't think New Zealand will host a qualifier for 2021. Canada & China will probably have the right of first refusal due to their relegation and Panama has WBCQ hosting experience. Here are IMO, the possible 2020 WBCQ hosts in order of likelihood:
                    • Taiwan: An experienced WBC host with many stadiums to choose from and due to its relegation, is very likely to be offered a chance to host.
                    • Mexico: An experienced WBC host with many stadiums to choose from and due to its relegation, is very likely to be offered a chance to host. Security issues & the controversial 2017 tie-breaker result will only create the illusion of drama.
                    • Panama: An experienced WBCQ host that could likely host if Canada or China pass on the opportunity.
                    • Nicaragua: The new Denis Martinez Stadium is MLB standards compliant and it is very likely that a hosting bid will submitted for this venue; they may just get it.
                    • United States: The WBC Steering Committee has used U.S. hosts in the previous WBCQs with Jupiter & Brooklyn, so there is still a possibility that it will happen again.
                    • Canada: Has several venues that could potentially host a WBCQ round, but they have passed on a previous opportunity to host. Perhaps, it’s that September is the only month of the year they can host or Toronto’s Stadium is too large to host a WBCQ.
                    • China: Has never hosted a WBC event, but has the potential for their government to green light the construction of an adequate facility relatively quickly. Although, it is unlikely that will happen and also unlikely that they will host.
                    • Germany: An experienced WBCQ host, but also passed on a previous opportunity. Due to their fourth place finish in 2016, the WBC Steering Committee may offer them the opportunity to host a Pre qualifier, but it is very unlikely that they will host a 2020 WBCQ.
                    • Brazil, Spain, France, Great Britain, Czech Republic, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan & the Philippines: Some have hosted non-WBC events, but their venues are probably not considered MLB compliant or ready for 2020, making it highly unlikely any of these countries would host a 2020 WBCQ round.

Comment

I don't think New Zealand will host a qualifier for 2021. Canada & China will probably have the right of first refusal due to their relegation and Panama has WBCQ hosting experience. Here are IMO, the possible 2020 WBCQ hosts in order of likelihood:
                      • Taiwan: An experienced WBC host with many stadiums to choose from and due to its relegation, is very likely to be offered a chance to host.
                      • Mexico: An experienced WBC host with many stadiums to choose from and due to its relegation, is very likely to be offered a chance to host. Security issues & the controversial 2017 tie-breaker result will only create the illusion of drama.
                      • Panama: An experienced WBCQ host that could likely host if Canada or China pass on the opportunity.
                      • Nicaragua: The new Denis Martinez Stadium is MLB standards compliant and it is very likely that a hosting bid will submitted for this venue; they may just get it.
                      • United States: The WBC Steering Committee has used U.S. hosts in the previous WBCQs with Jupiter & Brooklyn, so there is still a possibility that it will happen again.
                      • Canada: Has several venues that could potentially host a WBCQ round, but they have passed on a previous opportunity to host. Perhaps, it’s that September is the only month of the year they can host or Toronto’s Stadium is too large to host a WBCQ.
                      • China: Has never hosted a WBC event, but has the potential for their government to green light the construction of an adequate facility relatively quickly. Although, it is unlikely that will happen and also unlikely that they will host.
                      • Germany: An experienced WBCQ host, but also passed on a previous opportunity. Due to their fourth place finish in 2016, the WBC Steering Committee may offer them the opportunity to host a Pre qualifier, but it is very unlikely that they will host a 2020 WBCQ.
                      • Brazil, Spain, France, Great Britain, Czech Republic, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan & the Philippines: Some have hosted non-WBC events, but their venues are probably not considered MLB compliant or ready for 2020, making it highly unlikely any of these countries would host a 2020 WBCQ round.
                      I believe Mexico and Taiwan will host because they have hosted before and have the stadiums. It's a no brainier. Nicaragua have build a new stadium and it looks really good. Seems like a no brainier to me also.
                      If Canada have passed on hosting in the past, I doupt they still want to host now but who knows.I highly doubt the Chinese government will highlight the construction of a random baseball stadium. I know China has a baseball stadium but IDK how great the field is or if it's even MLB and internationally compliant. And I don't think Panama is going to host again seeing as the last two times they did they lost at home.
                      I don't see why New Zealand can't host if they get a new Stadium before 2020, It will be a new facility and a growing baseball market. That is if they get a stadium. Realistically, one of the spring training or minor league stadiums in the U.S. will probably be a host. Probably along the lines of China/Philippines/France/Brazil. Maybe Brooklyn as I thought that was really successful. I would like to see a European team host though the only stadium I know can host is Germany's Armin-Wolf-Arena. Maybe Spain since they hosted a Baseball World Cup Round in 2009 but I doubt it.
                      Though I do agree with most of your post with host like Taiwan,Mexico and Nicaragua. I think the U.S will host again if they can't find any suitable stadiums elsewhere.

Comment

I believe Mexico and Taiwan will host because they have hosted before and have the stadiums. It's a no brainier. Nicaragua have build a new stadium and it looks really good. Seems like a no brainier to me also.
                        If Canada have passed on hosting in the past, I doupt they still want to host now but who knows.I highly doubt the Chinese government will highlight the construction of a random baseball stadium. I know China has a baseball stadium but IDK how great the field is or if it's even MLB and internationally compliant. And I don't think Panama is going to host again seeing as the last two times they did they lost at home.
                        I don't see why New Zealand can't host if they get a new Stadium before 2020, It will be a new facility and a growing baseball market. That is if they get a stadium. Realistically, one of the spring training or minor league stadiums in the U.S. will probably be a host. Probably along the lines of China/Philippines/France/Brazil. Maybe Brooklyn as I thought that was really successful. I would like to see a European team host though the only stadium I know can host is Germany's Armin-Wolf-Arena. Maybe Spain since they hosted a Baseball World Cup Round in 2009 but I doubt it.
                        Though I do agree with most of your post with host like Taiwan,Mexico and Nicaragua. I think the U.S will host again if they can't find any suitable stadiums elsewhere.
                        I don't doubt that New Zealand will be a good host, but there have been many international stadium plans that have not gotten past the drawing board. I don't think they will have a suitable baseball stadium by 2020, unless they convert a cricket oval or soccer pitch to a baseball field; obviously, it would be better if those funds were spent building something more permanent. As far as China, they built temporary baseball fields to host the 2008 Beijing Olympics & the 2010 Guangdong Asia Games; although I don't believe they will do the same for the WBCQs either. Canada could easily host a WBCQ and should really consider getting some home-field advantage as the competition could and should be tougher.

Comment

I don't doubt that New Zealand will be a good host, but there have been many international stadium plans that have not gotten past the drawing board. I don't think they will have a suitable baseball stadium by 2020, unless they convert a cricket oval or soccer pitch to a baseball field; obviously, it would be better if those funds were spent building something more permanent. As far as China, they built temporary baseball fields to host the 2008 Beijing Olympics & the 2010 Guangdong Asia Games; although I don't believe they will do the same for the WBCQs either. Canada could easily host a WBCQ and should really consider getting some home-field advantage as the competition could and should be tougher.
                          That's fair enough. Question is if Canada does host, what teams will be in that group. My thinking is that it will mainly be European teams with Czech Republic(Hockey Rivals), France(French-Canadian Rivalry?) and probably Germany or Great Britain.
                          Then where will China be in that case, since all teams that were regulated into the qualifiers never play in the same pool. That's assuming Mexico,Canada and Taiwan host. If let's say a Nicaragua or Panama host, China has no chance to even make it back to the WBC tournament. And since MLB have invested a lot in China, I think they want China to have somewhat of a chance to make it.

Comment

That's fair enough. Question is if Canada does host, what teams will be in that group. My thinking is that it will mainly be European teams with Czech Republic(Hockey Rivals), France(French-Canadian Rivalry?) and probably Germany or Great Britain.
                            Then where will China be in that case, since all teams that were regulated into the qualifiers never play in the same pool. That's assuming Mexico,Canada and Taiwan host. If let's say a Nicaragua or Panama host, China has no chance to even make it back to the WBC tournament. And since MLB have invested a lot in China, I think they want China to have somewhat of a chance to make it.
                            Yes, but China has always been at risk of getting relegated; they just upset Taiwan in 2009 (Extra Inning rule) and Brazil in 2013 (Bullpen implosion) to avoid it. MLB could go against their template and try to pave the way for China's return to the main event, but the WBC field gets tougher with each passing event. It wouldn't be a bad thing for China to have some competition on the way back to the main event. Ultimately, time will tell if MLB will remain transparent by placing China in a Nicaragua or Panama group and let them sink or swim; or will they [MLB] blatantly pave their way by putting them in Brooklyn with the Philippines, Pakistan & New Zealand.
                            Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 11-27-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Yes, but China has always been at risk of getting relegated; they just upset Taiwan in 2009 (Extra Inning rule) and Brazil in 2013 (Bullpen implosion) to avoid it. MLB could go against their template and try to pave the way for China's return to the main event, but the WBC field gets tougher with each passing event. It wouldn't be a bad thing for China to have some competition on the way back to the main event. Ultimately, time will tell if MLB will remain transparent by placing China in a Nicaragua or Panama group and let them sink or swim; or will they [MLB] blatantly pave their way by putting them in Brooklyn with the Philippines, Pakistan & New Zealand.
                              I don't think MLB would give them that easy of a path(If they did, I put my money on New Zealand).It would probably be a combination of China Pakistan/Philippines, France and Brazil.Where China could probably pull out some wins or loses. Where they can probably beat a weaker team like Philippines and Pakistan, play a close game with France and maybe pull an upset with Brazil. But these are all hypothicals. MLB is transparent but not transparent enough. I put France in there because since baseball is back in the Olympics and with France hosting the 2024 Olympics, a good showing from the French baseball team could possibly persuade organizers of the 2024 Olympics and the IOC to keep baseball when they decide in 2020.(TBH, I honestly don't know the timetable of how Olympic sports are chosen, kept or dropped off).

In reality, MLB would never put China in the same group as Panama or Nicaragua as they invested too much money and time into that country. Not saying they'll put them in a China/Philippine/Pakistan/New Zealand group, but in a group where they will have a chance to make it and be competitive.They will have no chance to make it if put in the same group as Panama and/or Nicaragua. At the very least, they want China to have one win.or make it to the finals(Assuming double elimination is kept). Something along the lines of a Australia/South Africa/New Zealand/Philippines group. Where South Africa made it to the finals and was competitive with Australia until the last few innings. And the game before that, had beat a solid New Zealand team.

MLB is transparent but not transparent enough. If that was the case, Nicaragua and Colombia would have been in the WBC in 2006 over China and South Africa or any other team ranked ahead of Israel when the 2012 qualifiers took place like Argentina, Belgium,Curacao, or teams with a stronger federation and international tournament presence like Russia or Honduras. China will not have a straightforward easy path, but it definitely will not involve strong teams like Panama or Nicaragua.

Comment

I put France in there because since baseball is back in the Olympics and with France hosting the 2024 Olympics, a good showing from the French baseball team could possibly persuade organizers of the 2024 Olympics and the IOC to keep baseball when they decide in 2020.(TBH, I honestly don't know the timetable of how Olympic sports are chosen, kept or dropped off).
                                Baseball is not permanently back in the Olympics, it is only back for the 2020 Games. A new round of voting is needed for Paris 2024. The media seems to keep forgetting this detail. Check out this link: https://twitter.com/WBSC/status/935191720978939905

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X