2021 World Baseball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Unit312J View Post
    I love your guys optimistic outlooks for this tournament. I hope you guys are correct and it continues to grow in the way you guys hope. Just remember, WBSC has control over international tournaments. WBC is put on with their permission. WBSC is focused on 2 things...Olympics and Premier 12. I have not heard any discuss at all regarding the next Classic. And I would expect next to nothing until after the Olympics, or at least after the Olympic field is set in March 2020 with the qualifier in Phoenix. That means all your qualifying tournaments will most likely be in October or November of 2020 if that helps your planning thoughts.

If the tournament is held at all..
    Unfortunately, I cannot look back into the 2017 WBC thread, but I believe you have been this pessimistic since before the last WBC. I am not sure if you are basing this assumption on your conversations with WBSC brass. What benefit would they reap from not granting permission for another WBC? Especially now that the Parisian LOC has kept baseball out of the 2024 Olympics. The WBC generates revenues to promote the sport around the world and supposedly the WBSC receives some financial support from MLB. Why would they cut their nose off to spite their face?

The WBSC President has a seat on the WBC Steering Committee, so it isn't like they [WBSC] don't have any representation. So once again, why are you so certain that the tournament may not exist any more? Granted, potential MLB labor strife may affect the next WBC, but this is a partnership and may be too valuable for both parties to lose. The NPB, KBO & their unions also have representation on the WBC Steering Committee. I remember some journalist asking Commissioner Manfred: if the 2017 WBC would be the last one and the question seemed to annoy him. So, it appears to me that some your friends at the WBSC are upset that the WBC has accomplished more in about 14 years than their 8 decades of effort or lack thereof. Despite these negative feelings, the WBSC gains so much more from the WBC than without it. MLB is the largest league in the world with the most resources and controlling approximately 8,000 players. They also have a major influence in the Latin American leagues, so why would the WBSC risk losing money, player access and many other resources? I believe that the WBC will remain in existence until MLB & the MLBPA decide that it is no longer worth the investment.

Manfred said that to continue that growth in the future, he would like to see further expansion in the qualifying rounds for the tournament, with more countries becoming interested in playing in the Classic.
    Source: https://www.mediterraneantimes.com/n...y-wbc-is-a-hit

Comment

• Just weighing in on a few points. While any programme for WBC expansion is being optimistic, its continued existence is not. We had a member of staff in the press conference where Rob Manfred said himself that there would be another edition of the WBC. That was then repeated widely by all press in the room. Moreover, if anyone was going to back out of the WBC, it would be MLB and not WBSC as it is far more beneficial for the WBSC, which operates with a far smaller budget and has a priority of development, not profit. So long as MLB is in, the WBC will continue to happen, as Southwest has pointed out.

It is only natural with the Premier 12 and then the Olympics (plus the unsuccessful, but not inconsequential efforts to get baseball into the 2024 games) that the WBC would not have had as much press. This is only natural and similar to football, where national federations are focussed on continental championships (e.g. Euros) and not the World Cup yet.

Comment

• WAS IN HOSPITAL BUT NOW AM HEALTHY / VENUES

I used to experience a great deal of pleasure by being a frequent poster on the 2017 WBC forum, but I got sick with six stomach surgeries and a six-
        month stay in the VA Hospital. However, I am healthy again, and will be posting frequently on the 2021 WBC forum. It is good to be back.

Who should be invited to the 2020 WBC Qualifier Round? There are two possible selection methods. First, those in the top 28 nations as ranked by
        the WBSC Rankings. Using this procedure, we should add # 21 Argentina, # 27 Austria, and # 28 Hong Kong; and subtract # 33 Philippines, # 38
        England, and # 51 New Zealand.

Second, using intangible factors, such as MLB interest and investment, baseball interest, geography, potential for growth of baseball, population,
        media capacity, etc. Using this procedure, Israel and New Zealand were added to the 2016 Qualifier, despite being ranked way lower than # 28, and
        both did reasonably well. Israel won 7 and lost 2. New Zealand won 1 and lost 2, which was better than Germany, Pakistan, Philippines, and Spain,
        all with 0-2 records, and also better than Canada, China, and Taiwan, all with 0-3 records. Using this procedure, we might add, for geographic
        diversity reasons, # 30 Belgium, # 42 Ireland, # 51 New Zealand.

The WBC set a new attendance record in 2016-2017, with 1,085,494, and the selection of where to locate the host nations will have a large impact
        on whether we set a new record in 2020-2021.

Where should the four Qualifier pools be hosted ? Taiwan and Mexico are easy choices. They were relegated in 2017, have excellent facilities in
        Taichung and Zapopan, and will draw well. New Zealand is a possible choice. They have an excellent recently renovated ballpark which hosts the
        Auckland franchise in the Australian Baseball League and a rugby team, and baseball interest is growing there. Nicaragua has recently renovated
        Estadio Dennis Martinez which is an excellent ballpark. NIcaragua should be chosen over Panama, which has already hosted twice. Another option
        is a city in the US with a Spring Training ballpark.

As for the Main Event in March 2021, the First Round could be given to Tokyo, Miami, Santo Domingo, and Barranquilla. The Second Round could be
        given to Houston and Los Angeles. The Championship Round could be given to Tokyo. The last point is the most important. Tokyo is by far the
        city with the highest WBC attendance. As Tokyo has been loyal to the WBC, the WBC should be loyal to Tokyo.

Phil Lowry
        Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• 2020 QUALIFIER ROUND

How should we arrange the 16 teams in the 2020 Qualifier? First of all, we need to choose the four host nations: possibly Taiwan in Taichung, Mexico in Zapopan, New Zealand in Auckland, Nicaragua in Managua. Then we need to decide whether to use the WBSC rankings system, or the intangibles factor system, or a combination. Let's use a combination system.

First, let's see which teams qualify for the 2020 Qualifier Round because they finished in last place at the 2017 First Round and are therefore relegated to the 2020 Qualifier Round: Taiwan, China, Canada, Mexico. Since China can't host because they don't have the required facilities, and since Canada won't host because they can't be bothered, we need to have two more hosts. Let's choose Nicaragua and New Zealand. It would be nice to select one European host, but the facilities and fan base just are not there yet. So our projected host cities are Taichung in Taiwan, Zapopan in Mexico, Auckland in New Zealand, and Managua in Nicaragua.

Now which 16 teams play and where ? Pool A in Taichung, Taiwan has # 4 Taiwan (relegated team and host team), # 18 Czech, # 27 Austria, # 30 Belgium. Three teams from Europe, one from Asia.

Pool B in Zapopan, Mexico has # 6 Mexico (relegated team and host team), # 17 Brasil, # 31 Indonesia, # 42 Ireland. Two teams from Latin America, one from Asia, one from Europe.

Pool C in Auckland, New Zealand has # 20 China (relegated team), # 23 South Africa, # 29 Russia, # 51 New Zealand (host team). One team from Asia, one from Europe, one from Africa, one from Oceania.

Pool D in Managua, Nicaragua has # 10 Canada (relegated team), # 13 Panama, # 15 Nicaragua (host team), # 21 Argentina. Three teams from Latin America, one from North America.

# 7 Australia, # 14 Colombia, and # 19 Israel, with 3-0 records in the 2016 Qualifier have escaped relegation in the 2017 First Round, have avoided the 2020 Qualifier Round, and will start play in the 2021 First Round. # 6 Mexico had a 3-0 record in the 2016 Qualifier, but was relegated in the 2017 First Round with a 1-2 record.

It is unfortunate that the 2020 Qualifier Round has three highly ranked teams which were relegated in the 2017 First Round - # 4 Taiwan, # 6 Mexico, # 10 Canada. But it is what it is.

Here are the only teams with a ranking of # 28 or lower that are NOT in my projected pools above: # 22 Germany, # 24 Pakistan, # 25 France, # 26 Spain, and # 28 Hong Kong.

Phil Lowry
          Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• ALL ROUNDS VENUES, ATTENDANCE, WIN AND LOSE, PROJECTED

Where will they play, how many fans will attend, who will win and who will lose, and who will advance ?

arbitrarily dropped - # 22 Germany, # 24 Pakistan, # 25 France, # 26 Spain, # 33 Philippines, # 38 England - these six nations have performed poorly and their continued participation is dull and boring, they have had their chance and now it is time for six new nations to have their chance

arbitrarily added - so as to get new blood into the tournament - # 21 Argentina, # 27 Austria, # 29 Russia, # 30 Belgium, # 31 Indonesia, # 42 Ireland

Who will be the 2020 Cinderella team? In 2012 Israel was named to the Qualifier Round, despite being ranked very low in the WBSC Rankings. Almost everyone believed that they would lose all their games and quickly fade away. Despite all of this negativity, Israel went 2-1 in the 2012 Qualifier Round, and then undefeated !!! in the 2016 Qualifier Round AND the 2017 First Round, finally being defeated in the 2017 Second Round with one win and two losses, finishing with 9 wins and only three losses. Who will be a similar low ranked team which advances way beyond expectations? Argentina ? Belgium ? Ireland ?
            New Zealand ?

Pool A at Intercontinental Stadium, Taichung, Taiwan, capacity 20,000 - # 4 Taiwan (relegated nation and host nation), # 18 Czech, # 27 Austria, # 30 Belgium - one Asia, three Europe, strength of schedule (addition of four rankings) = 79

Taiwan 3 W 0 L Czech 2 W 1 L Austria 1 W 2 L Belgium 0 W 3 L projected total attendance 36,000, average attendance 6000

Pool B at Estadio Charros, Zapopan, Mexico, capacity 15,000 - # 6 Mexico (relegated nation and host nation), # 17 Brasil, # 31 Indonesia, # 42 Ireland - two Latin America, one Asia, one Europe, strength of schedule = 96

Mexico 3 W 0 L Brasil 2 W 1 L Ireland 1 W 2 L Indonesia 0 W 3 L projected total attendance 42,000, average attendance 7000

Pool C at North Harbour Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand, capacity 15,000 - # 20 China (relegated nation), # 23 South Africa, # 29 Russia, # 51 New Zealand (host nation) - one Asia, one Africa, one Europe, one Oceania, strength of schedule = 123

South Africa 3 W 0 L New Zealand 2 W 1 L China 1 W 2 L Russia 0 W 3 L projected total attendance 18,000, average attendance 3000

Pool D at Estadio Nacional Dennis Martinez, Managua, Nicaragua, capacity 15,000 - # 10 Canada (relegated nation), # 13 Panama, # 15 Nicaragua (host nation), # 21 Argentina - three Latin America, one North America, strength of schedule = 59

Nicaragua 3 W 0 L Panama 2 W 1 L Canada 1 W 2 L Argentina 0 W 3 L projected total attendance 30,000, average attendance 5000

16 total nations for Qualifier Round - five from Latin America, five Europe, three Asia, one Oceania, one Africa, one North America

SO # 4 Taiwan, # 6 Mexico, # 15 Nicaragua, # 23 South Africa advance to the First Round

projected attendance for Qualifier Round total attendance 126,000, average attendance 5250

FIRST ROUND in 2021

Pool 1 at Meiji Jingu Stadium, Tokyo, Japan, capacity 37,933 - I know they will put this pool in the dark, dank, ugly TokyoDome but they should put it into Meiji Jingu, which is a jewel not unlike Wrigley Field and Fenway Park - # 1 Japan, # 3 South Korea, # 4 Taiwan, # 7 Australia - three Asia, one Oceania

South Korea 3 W 0 L Japan 2 W 1 L Taiwan 1 W 2 L Australia 0 W 3 L projected total attendance 210,000, average attendance 35,000

Pool 2 at Marlins Park, Miami, Florida, capacity 36,742 - # 2 US, # 6 Mexico, # 8 Netherlands, # 19 Israel - two Europe, one North America, one Latin America

US 2 W 1 L Netherlands 2 W 1 L Mexico 1 W 2 L Israel 1 W 2 L projected total attendance 186,000, average attendance 31,000

Pool 3 at Estadio Quisqueya Juan Marichal, Santo Domingo, Dominicana, capacity 14,469 - # 5 Cuba, # 12 Dominicana, # 15 Nicaragua, #23 South Africa - three Latin America, one Africa

Dominicana 3 W 0 L Cuba 2 W 1 L Nicaragua 1 W 2 L # 23 South Africa 0 W 3 L projected total attendance 72,000, average attendance 12,000

Pool 4 at Estadio Nacional Edgar Renteria, Barranquilla, Colombia, capacity 12,000 - # 9 Venezuela, # 11 Puerto Rico, # 14 Colombia, # 16 Italy - three Latin America, one Europe

Puerto Rico 3 W 0 L Colombia 2 W 1 L Venezuela 1 W 2 L Italy 0 W 3 L projected total attendance 66,000, average attendance 11,000

SO # 1 Japan, # 2 US, # 3 South Korea, # 5 Cuba, # 8 Netherlands, # 11 Puerto Rico, # 12 Dominicana, # 14 Colombia advance to the Second Round

projected attendance for First Round total attendance 516,000, average attendance 21,500

SECOND ROUND

Pool I at Minute Maid Park, Houston, Texas, capacity 41,168 - # 1 Japan, # 3 South Korea, # 11 Puerto Rico, # 14 Colombia - two Asia, two Latin America

Japan 2 W 1 L Puerto Rico 2 W 1 L Colombia 1 W 2 L South Korea 1 W 2 L projected total attendance 210,000, average attendance 35,000

Pool II at Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California, capacity 56,000 - # 2 US, # 5 Cuba, # 8 Netherlands, # 12 Dominicana - two Latin America, one North America, one Europe

US 2 W 1 L Dominicana 2 W 1 L Cuba 1 W 2 L Netherlands 1 W 2 L projected total attendance 210,000, average attendance 35,000

SO # 1 Japan, # 2 US, # 11 Puerto Rico, # 12 Dominicana advance to the Championship Round

projected attendance for Second Round total attendance 420,000, average attendance 35,000

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan, capacity 42,000 - # 1 Japan, # 2 US, # 11 Puerto Rico, # 12 Dominicana - one Asia, one North America, two Latin America

# 12 Dominicana defeats # 11 Puerto Rico in first semi-final; # 1 Japan defeats # 2 US in second semi-final, # 12 Dominicana defeats # 1 Japan in championship game

Dominicana 2 W 0 L Japan 1 W 1 L US 0 W 1 L Puerto Rico 0 W 1 L

projected attendance for Championship Round total attendance 114,000, average attendance 38,000

actual attendance four years ago for all 2016-2017 rounds 1,085,494 for all 64 games (extra game was a tie-breaker in Zapopan) average attendance 16,961

projected attendance for all 2020-2021 rounds 1,176,000 for all 63 games average attendance 18,667, up 8 % over 2016-2017

PROJECTED TOTAL ATTENDANCE AND AVERAGE ATTENDANCE BY ROUND

Qualifier 126,000 5250
            First 516,000 21,500
            Second 420,000 35,000
            Championship 114,000 38,000

TOTAL 1,176,000 18,667

DOMINICANA IS PROJECTED CHAMPION OF 2020-2021 WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC

NOTE on names of nations - I refer to Czech Republic and Dominican Republic as Czech and Dominicana. 98 % of the nations in the world are republics, but we only include the word Republic for these two nations plus the Central African Republic. In their home languages, the word Republic is not used, so I do not use it. Also, I refer to the UK as England. The four nations of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland each have their own FIFA soccer team, and each have their own flag, national anthem, and devolved parliament. So I use England rather than UK.
            Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• JAPAN, NEW BLOOD IN QUALIFIER ROUND

Japan average attendance for all four WBC's is 26,014 vs. 20,823 for the US, so Japan's average WBC attendance is 25 % higher than that for the US.

It is definitely a good idea to get new blood into the WBC. My pools arbitrarily exclude six poor performing nations: # 22 Germany, # 24 Pakistan, # 25 France, # 26 Spain, # 33 Philippines, and # 38 England; replacing them with # 21 Argentina, # 27 Austria, # 29 Russia, # 30 Belgium, # 31 Indonesia, and # 42 Ireland. The addition of # 42 Ireland is similar to the 2012/2016/2017 addition of Israel, because Ireland would have a large pool of Irish-American "passport" MLB and minor league players available to their roster, just as Israel had a large pool of Jewish-American "passport" MLB and minor league players available to them.

Someone mentioned that the 2016 Qualifier Round in Brooklyn was "really successful". I attended those six games in Brooklyn, with Israel, England, Brasil, and Pakistan. In my opinion, they were not successful. They drew only 11,846, or an average of 1974. They were put in Brooklyn to attract large numbers of Israeli fans, but that did not happen. That is not to say that another Qualifier Round pool in Brooklyn would necessarily be unsuccessful.

The other Qualifier Round pool played in the US was in Jupiter, Florida in a Minor League park. It was also unsuccessful. Another try, with intensive advertising, perhaps at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa or at Fenway South in Fort Myers, might be successful.
              Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• TOKYO VS. LOS ANGELES FOR CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

I advocate giving the 2021 Championship Round to Tokyo over Los Angeles. Why?

I already mentioned that Japan has a 25 % advantage over the US in their 2006-2017 WBC average attendance: Japan 26,014 to US 20,823.

Let's now look at the most recent 2017 average attendance figures for Tokyo vs. Los Angeles - the three highest Tokyo attendance figures for the First and Second Rounds, vs. the three Los Angeles attendance figures for the Championship Round.

We should point out that we are comparing First Round Tokyo and Second Round Tokyo vs. Championship Round Los Angeles, and that there should therefore be an automatic advantage for Los Angeles, since the Championship Round should outdraw the First Round and Second Round. But it did not.

The average for First Round Tokyo is 42,123. The average for Second Round Tokyo is 43,553. The average for Championship Round Los Angeles is
                36,631. The Tokyo Second Round outdrew the Los Angeles Championship Round by 19 %. The Tokyo First Round outdrew the Los Angeles Championship Round by 15 %.

It also should be considered that the US has hosted the Championship Round in each of the first four Classics: in San Diego, in Los Angeles twice, and in San Francisco.

Tokyo has been loyal to the WBC. It is time that the WBC be loyal to Tokyo.

Phil Lowry
                Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• ALL ROUNDS PROJECTED ATTENDANCE

What kind of crowds will this scenario attract ? Well, here is a guess.

QUALIFIER ROUND
                  Pool A at Taichung, Taiwan in Intercontinental Stadium, capacity 20,000
                  Taiwan-Czech 18,000 Austria-Belgium 1000 Taiwan-Austria 7000 Czech-Belgium 1000 Taiwan-Belgium 8000 Czech- Austria 1000
                  total 36,000 average 6000

Pool B at Zapopan, Mexico in Estadio Charros, capacity 15,000
                  Mexico-Brasil 15,000 Ireland-Indonesia 1000 Mexico-Ireland 12,000 Brasil-Indonesia 1000 Mexico-Indonesia 12,000 Brasil-Ireland 1000
                  total 42,000 average 7000

Pool C at Auckland, New Zealand in North Harbour Stadium, capacity 15,000
                  China-S Africa 1000 Russia-N Zealand 4000 China-Russia 1000 S Africa-N Zealand 4000 China-N Zealand 7000 S Africa-Russia 1000
                  total 18,000 average 3000

Pool D at Managua, Nicaragua in Estadio Dennis Martinez, capacity 15,000
                  Canada-Panama 1000 Nicaragua-Argentina 5000 Canada-Nicaragua 7000 Panama-Argentina 1000 Canada-Argentina 1000 Panama-Nicaragua 15,000
                  total 30,000 average 5000

Qualifier Round
                  total 126,000 average 5250

FIRST ROUND
                  Pool 1 at Tokyo, Japan in Tokyo Dome, capacity 42,000
                  Japan-S Korea 42,000 Taiwan-Australia 26,000 Japan-Taiwan 42,000 S Korea-Australia 26,000 Japan-Australia 42,000 S Korea-Taiwan 32,000
                  total 210,000 average 35,000

Pool 2 at Miami, Florida in Marlins Park, capacity 36,742
                  US-Mexico 36,000 Netherlands-Israel 26,000 US-Netherlands 36,000 Mexico-Israel 26,000 US-Israel 35,000 Mexico-Netherlands 27,000
                  total 186,000 average 31,000

Pool 3 at Santo Domingo, Dominicana in Estadio Quisqueya Juan Marichal, capacity 14,469
                  Dominican-Cuba 14,000 Nicaragua-S Africa 10,000 Dominican-Nicaragua 14,000 Cuba-S Africa 9000 Dominican-S Africa 14,000 Cuba-Nicaragua 11,000
                  total 72,000 average 12,000

Pool 4 at Barranquilla, Colombia in Estadio Nacional Edgar Renteria, capacity 12,000
                  Colombia-Venezuela 12,000 Puerto Rico-Italy 9000 Colombia-Puerto Rico 12,000 Venezuela-Italy 10,000 Colombia-Italy 12,000 Venezuela-Puerto Rico 11,000
                  total 66,000 average 11,000

First Round
                  total 516,000 average 21,500

SECOND ROUND
                  Pool I at Houston, Texas in Minute Maid Park, capacity 41,168
                  Japan-S Korea 37,000 Dominicana-Colombia 36,000 Japan-Dominicana 38,000 S Korea-Colombia 31,000 Japan-Colombia 35,000 S Korea-Dominicana 33,000

Pool II at Los Angeles, California in Dodger Stadium, capacity 56,000
                  US-Cuba 45,000 Netherlands-Puerto Rico 30,000 US-Netherlands 45,000 Cuba-Puerto Rico 25,000 US-Puerto Rico 45,000 Cuba-Netherlands 20,000

Second Round
                  total 420,000 average 35,000

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
                  at Tokyo, Japan in Tokyo Dome, capacity 42,000
                  Dominicana-US 30,000, Japan-Netherlands 42,000, Dominicana-Japan 42,000

Championship Round
                  total 114,000, average 38,000

OVERALL TOTALS
                  2020-21 Total with Qualifier Round 1,176,000 average 18,667 vs. 16,961 in 2016-17
                  2020-21 Total without Qualifier Round 1,050,000 average 26,923 vs. 24,342 in 2016-17

So my guess is that 2020-21 WBC attendance with Qualifier Round will exceed that for 2016-17 by 10 %, and that
                  2020-21 WBC attendance without Qualifier Round will exceed that for 2016-17 by 11 %.

WBC AVERAGE ATTENDANCE BY ROUND

ROUND 2006 2009 2012-13 2016-17 PROJECTED 2020-21

Qualifier Round ----- 4278 4658 5250

First Round ----- 13,610 18,891 14,851 20,353 21,500

Second Round ----- 23,657 17,182 26,981 29,531 35,000

Championship Round ----- 42,201 47,285 32,304 36,631 38,000

Total Including Qualifier Round 2012-13 2016-17 Total ----- 13,965 16,961 18,667

Total Excluding Qualifier Round ----- 2006 2009 2013 2017 Total 18,900 20,549 19,926 24,342 26,923
                  Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• TO ALL 2020-2021 WBC POSTERS

To Nutt, SouthwestAmAZins, island slugger, cutchemist42, Rally Monkey, Lime, gianc006, Cincy Fan, Mischa, Richard, and all other WBC 2021 posters,

I am looking forward to the events leading up to 2020 WBCQ and 2021 WBC, and to our conversations about all things related to the WBCQ and WBC.

PLowry
                    Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• EXPANSION FROM 28 TO 40 NATIONS

At the 2016 Qualifier Round pool in Zapopan, Mexico, Commissioner Rob Manfred was quoted as saying, "In the future, we would like to have more nations playing in the WBC."

If that is the case, 12 nations can be added to an additional First Qualifier Round. They would play along with the host nations, which would be the lowest four nations who are not hosts in the Second Qualifier Round. Thus the WBC would be expanded from 28 to 40 nations.

This First Qualifier Round might be the most exciting because noone will know who is going to win.

The four lowest nations would host the First Qualifier Round: # 21 Argentina, #29 Russia, # 30 Belgium, # 42 Ireland. At this level, we can't be picky about sizes of ballparks. The crowds will probably be well less than 1000, and that is OK.

The next twelve nations to fill out the First Qualifier Round would be # 28 Hong Kong, # 32 Croatia, # 34 Sweden, # 35 Ukraine, # 36 Slovakia, # 37 Lithuania, # 39 Peru, # 40 Poland, # 41 Sri Lanka, # 43 Romania, # 44 Bulgaria, # 45 Belarus.

Next, we place these 16 nations into four pools, as geographically as possible:

Pool AA - near Belgium - host # 30 Belgium, # 32 Croatia, # 35 Ukraine, # 36 Slovakia

Pool BB - near Ireland - host # 42 Ireland, # 34 Sweden, # 37 Lithuania, # 40 Poland

Pool CC - near Russia - host # 29 Russia, # 43 Rumania, # 44 Bulgaria, # 45 Belarus

Pool DD - non-European - host # 21 Argentina, # 28 Hong Kong, # 39 Peru, # 41 Sri Lanka

At the conclusion of the First Qualifier Round, the bottom three in each 4-team pool will go home, and the top team in each pool will move on to the Second Qualifier Round.

The top team from Pool AA, the near Belgium pool, hosted by Belgium, will advance to Pool A in the First Qualifier Pool, hosted by Taiwan.

The top team from Pool BB, the near Ireland pool, hosted by Ireland, will advance to Pool B in the First Qualifier Pool, hosted by Mexico.

The top team from Pool CC, the near Russia pool, hosted by Russia, will advance to Pool C in the First Qualifier Pool, hosted by New Zealand.

The top team from Pool DD, the non-European pool, hosted by Argentina, will advance to Pool D in the First Qualifier Pool, hosted by Nicaragua.

And so we have a 40-nation WBC:

12 of the 16 nations in the First Qualifier Round are eliminated, and four advance to the Second Qualifier Round.

12 of the 16 nations in the Second Qualifier Round are eliminated, and four advance to the First Round.

Eight of the 16 nations in the First Round are eliminated, and eight advance to the Second Round.

Four of the eight nations in the Second Round are eliminated, and four advance to the Championship Round.

Three of the four nations in the Championship Round are eliminated, and one reigns as 2021 WBC Champion. And all is well.
                      Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• EXPANSION FROM 28 TO 32 NATIONS

If we want to have 32 rather than 40 nations in the tournament, we can add one team to each Qualifier Round pool. So there will be no Second Qualifier Round. The Qualifier Round will have five rather than four teams in each of its four pools.

Each team in the Qualifier Round would play four games rather than three. The four highest ranking teams not yet in the tournament could be added: # 21 Argentina, # 28 Hong Kong, # 29 Russia, and # 30 Belgium.

Philip Lowry
                        Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• ATTENDANCE 2006-2017 BY POOL, GEOGRAPHIC AREA, NATION AND CITY, ROUND, YEAR, BALLPARK, CROWD

Here is an analysis of the 3,503,797 WBC attendance figure from 2006 through 2017.

PART ONE ----- BY POOL
                          PART TWO ----- BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
                          PART THREE ----- BY NATION AND BY CITY
                          PART FOUR ----- BY ROUND
                          PART FIVE ----- BY YEAR
                          PART SIX ----- BY BALLPARK
                          PART SEVEN ----- BY CROWD

PART ONE ----- BY POOL

OVERALL 36 HOST CITIES BY POOL

1. Tokyo total 209,072 average 34,845 ----- Second Round 2017 ----- up 1 % ----- best Second Round attendance ever
                          2. Tokyo total 206,534 average 34,422 ----- First Round 2017 ----- up 21 % ----- best First Round attendance ever
                          3. Anaheim total 191,717 average 31,953 ----- Second Round 2006
                          4. Tokyo total 170,658 average 28,443----- Second Round 2013 ----- even
                          5. Tokyo total 170,112 average 28,352----- First Round 2009 ----- up 68 %
                          6. Miami total 163,878 average 27,313 ----- First Round 2017 ----- up 7 %
                          7. Miami total 153,115 average 25,519 ----- Second Round 2013 ----- up 34 %
                          8. San Diego total 145,905 average 24,318----- Second Round 2017 ----- up 59 %
                          9. Los Angeles total 141,854 average 47,285 ----- Championship Round 2009
                          10. San Diego total 126,603 average 42,201 ----- Championship Round 2006
                          11. Phoenix/Scottsdale total 115,183 average 19,197 ----- First Round 2013 ----- up 26 %
                          12. Miami Gardens total 114,397 average 19,066 ----- Second Round 2009
                          13. Los Angeles total 109,897 average 36,631 ----- Championship Round 2017 ----- down 23 %
                          14. Toronto total 103,899 average 17,317 ----- First Round 2009
                          15. Tokyo total 100,964 average 16,827----- First Round 2006
                          16. San Francisco total 96,913 average 32,304 ----- Championship Round 2013
                          17. San Juan total 94,899 average 15,819 ----- First Round 2013 ------ up 9 %
                          18. Mexico City total 92,668 average 15,445 ----- First Round 2009
                          19. San Juan total 92,163 average 15,361 ----- Second Round 2006 ----- up 24 %
                          20. San Diego total 91,783 average 15,279 ----- Second Round 2009 ---- down 64 % ---- worst Second Round attendance ever
                          21. Phoenix/Scottsdale total 91,205 average 15,201 ----- First Round 2006
                          22. San Juan total 86,698 average 14,450 ----- First Round 2009 ----- down 6 %
                          23. Zapopan total 86,132 average 12,305 ----- First Round 2017 ----- seventh game tie-breaker
                          24. Fukuoka total 79,168 average 13,195 ----- First Round 2013
                          25. San Juan total 74,472 average 12,412 ----- First Round 2006
                          26. Taichung total 67,180 average 11,197 ----- First Round 2013
                          27. Lake Buena Vista total 59,988 average 9998 ----- First Round 2006
                          28. Mexicali total 56,465 average 9411 ----- Qualifier Round 2016
                          29. Seoul total 52,286 average 8714 ----- First Round 2017 ----- worst First Round attendance ever
                          30. Panama City total 44,487 average 7415 ----- Qualifier Round 2012
                          31. Panama City total 35,520 average 5920 ----- Qualifier Round 2016 ----- down 20 %
                          32. New Taipei City total 31,456 average 5243 ----- Qualifier Round 2012
                          33. Regensburg total 16,786 average 2798 ----- Qualifier Round 2012
                          34. Brooklyn total 11,846 average 1974 ----- Qualifier Round 2016
                          35. Jupiter total 9938 average 1656 ----- Qualifier Round 2012
                          36. Blacktown total 7964 average 1327 ---- Qualifier Round 2016

OVERALL TOTAL INCLUDING QUALIFIER ROUND total 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

OVERALL TOTAL EXCLUDING QUALIFIER ROUND total 28 pools 157 games total 3,289,335 average 20,951

BY POOL AND BY ROUND

TOTAL ATTENDANCE FIRST AND SECOND ROUNDS ----- 24 POOLS

TOKYO THE BEST, SEOUL THE WORST

1. Tokyo 209,072 ----- Second Round 2017
                          2. Tokyo 206,534 ----- First Round 2017
                          3. Anaheim 191,717 ----- Second Round 2006
                          4. Tokyo 170,658 ----- Second Round 2013
                          5. Tokyo 170,112 ----- First Round 2009
                          6. Miami 163,878 ----- First Round 2017
                          7. Miami 153,115 ----- Second Round 2013
                          8. San Diego 145,905 ----- Second Round 2017
                          9. Phoenix/Scottsdale 115,183 ----- First Round 2013
                          10. Miami Gardens 114,397 ----- Second Round 2009
                          11. Toronto 103,899 ----- First Round 2009
                          12. Tokyo 100,964 ----- First Round 2006
                          13. San Juan 94,899 ----- First Round 2013
                          14. Mexico City 92,668 ----- First Round 2009
                          15. San Juan 92,163 ----- Second Round 2006
                          16. San Diego 91,783 ----- Second Round 2009
                          17. Phoenix/Scottsdale 91,205 ----- First Round 2006
                          18. San Juan 86,698 ----- First Round 2009
                          19. Zapopan 86,132 ----- First Round 2017 * 7th game tie-breaker
                          20. Fukuoka 79,168 ----- First Round 2013
                          21. San Juan 74,472 ----- First Round 2006
                          22. Taichung 67,180 ----- First Round 2013
                          23. Lake Buena Vista 59,988 ----- First Round 2006
                          24. Seoul 52,286 ----- FIrst Round 2017

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUNDS ----- FOUR POOLS

LOS ANGELES THE BEST, SAN FRANCISCO THE WORST

1. Los Angeles 141,854 ----- 2009
                          2. San Diego 126,603 ----- 2006
                          3. Los Angeles 109,897 ----- 2017
                          4. San Francisco 96,913 ----- 2013

QUALIFIER ROUNDS ----- EIGHT POOLS

MEXICALI THE BEST, BLACKTOWN THE WORST

1. Mexicali 56,465 ----- 2016
                          2. Panama City 44,487 ----- 2012
                          3. Panama City 35,520 ----- 2016
                          4. New Taipei City 31,456 ----- 2012
                          5. Regensburg 16,786 ----- 2012
                          6. Brooklyn 11,846 ----- 2016
                          7. Jupiter 9938 ----- 2012
                          8. Blacktown 7964 ---- 2016

BY POOL AND BY CITY

FIRST AND SECOND ROUNDS AVERAGE ATTENDANCE----- 24 POOLS

ANAHEIM THE BEST, SEOUL THE WORST

1. Anaheim one pool six games total 191,717 average 31,953
                          2. Tokyo five pools 30 games total 857,340 average 28,578
                          3. Miami Gardens/ Miami three pools 18 games total 431,290 average 23,961
                          4. San Diego two pools 12 games total 237,688 average 19,807
                          5. Toronto one pool six games total 103,899 average 17,317
                          6. Phoenix/Scottsdale two pools 12 games total 206,388 average 17,199
                          7. Mexico City one pool six games total 92,668 average 15,445
                          8. San Juan four pools 24 games total 348,232 average 14,510
                          9. Fukuoka one pool six games total 79,168 average 13,195
                          10. Zapopan one pool seven games total 86,132 average 12,305 * 7th game tie-breaker
                          11. Taichung one pool six games total 67,180 average 11,197
                          12. Lake Buena Vista one pool six games total 59,988 average 9998
                          13. Seoul one pool six games total 52,286 average 8714

First and Second Rounds 24 pools 145 games total 2,814,073 average 19,407

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUNDS ----- FOUR POOLS

SAN DIEGO THE BEST, SAN FRANCISCO THE WORST

1. San Diego one pool three games total 126,603 average 42,201
                          2. Los Angeles two pools six games total 251,746 average 41,958
                          3. San Francisco one pool three games total 96,913 average 32,304

Championship Rounds four pools 12 games total 475,262 average 39,605

QUALIFIER ROUNDS ----- EIGHT POOLS

MEXICALI THE BEST, BLACKTOWN THE WORST

1. Mexicali one pool six games total 56,465 average 9411
                          2. Panama City two pools 12 games total 80,007 average 6667
                          3. New Taipei City one pool six games total 31,456 average 5243
                          4. Regensburg one pool six games total 16,786 average 2798
                          5. Brooklyn one pool six games total 11,846 average 1974
                          6. Jupiter one pool six games total 9938 average 1656
                          7. Blacktown one pool six games total 7964 average 1327

Qualifier Rounds eight pools 48 games total 214,462 average 4468

All Rounds 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

PART TWO ----- BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA

QUALIFIER, FIRST, AND SECOND ROUNDS

ASIA THE BEST, OCEANIA THE WORST

1. ASIA ----- nine pools 54 games total 1,087,430 average 20,138

2. NORTH AMERICA ----- 12 pools 72 games total 1,252,849 average 17,401

3. LATIN AMERICA ----- nine pools 55 games total 663,501 average 12,064

4. EUROPE ----- one pool six games total 16,786 average 2798

5. OCEANIA ----- one pool six games total 7964 average 1327

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUNDS

NORTH AMERICA ----- four pools 12 games 475,267 average 39,606

TOTAL INCLUDING ALL ROUNDS ----- 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

PART THREE: BY NATION AND BY CITY

1. JAPAN

TOKYO

First Round 2006 total 100,964 average 16,827
                          First Round 2009 total 170,112 average 28,352 up 68 %
                          Second Round 2013 total 170,658 average 28,443 even
                          First Round 2017 total 206,534 average 34,422 up 21 %
                          Second Round 2017 total 209,072 average 34,845 up 1 %

Tokyo overall five pools 30 games total 857,340 average 28,578

FUKUOKA

First Round 2013 total 79,168 average 13,195

Fukuoka overall one pool six games total 79,168 average 13,195

JAPAN

Japan overall six pools 36 games total 936,508 average 26,014

2. US

LOS ANGELES

Championship Round 2009 total 141,854 average 47,285
                          Championship Round 2017 total 109,892 average 36,631 down 23 %

Los Angeles overall two pools six games total 251,746 average 41,958

SAN FRANCISCO

Championship Round 2013 total 96,913 average 32,304

San Francisco overall one pool three games total 96,913 average 32,304

ANAHEIM

Second Round 2006 total 191,717 average 31,953

Anaheim overall one pool six games total 191,717 average 31,953

SAN DIEGO

Championship Round 2006 total 126,603 average 42,201
                          Second Round 2009 total 91,783 average 15,297 down 64 %
                          Second Round 2017 total 145,905 average 24,318 up 59 %

San Diego overall three pools 15 games total 364,291 average 24,286

MIAMI / MIAMI GARDENS

Second Round 2009 total 114,297 average 19,066
                          Second Round 2013 total 153,115 average 25,519 up 34 %
                          First Round 2017 total 163,878 average 27,313 up 7 %

Miami / Miami Gardens overall three pools 18 games total 431,290 average 23,961

PHOENIX / SCOTTSDALE

First Round 2006 total 91,205 average 15,201
                          First Round 2013 total 115,183 average 19,197 up 26 %

Phoenix / Scottsdale overall two pools 12 games total 206,388 average 17,199

LAKE BUENA VISTA

First Round 2006 total 59,988 average 9998

Lake Buena Vista overall one pool six games total 59,988 average 9998

BROOKLYN

Qualifier Round 2016 total 11,846 average 1974

Brooklyn overall one pool six games total 11,846 average 1974

JUPITER

Qualifier Round 2012 total 9938 average 1656

Jupiter overall one pool six games total 9938 average 1656

US

US overall 15 pools 78 games total 1,624,117 average 22,557

3. CANADA

TORONTO

First Round 2009 total 103,899 average 17,317

Toronto overall one pool six games total 103,899 average 17,317

CANADA

Canada overall one pool six games total 103,899 average 17,317

4. PUERTO RICO

SAN JUAN

First Round 2006 total 74,472 average 12,412
                          Second Round 2006 total 92,163 average 15,361 up 24 %
                          First Round 2009 total 86,698 average 14,450 down 6 %
                          First Round 2013 total 94,899 average 15,817 up 9 %

San Juan overall four pools 24 games total 348,232 average 14,510

PUERTO RICO

Puerto Rico overall four pools 24 games total 348,232 average 14,510

5. MEXICO

MEXICO CITY

First Round 2009 total 92,665 average 15,444

Mexico City overall one pool six games total 92,665 average 15,444

ZAPOPAN

First Round 2017 total 86,132 average 12,305

Zapopan overall one pool seven games total 86,132 average 12,305

MEXICALI

Qualifier Round 2016 total 56,465 average 9411

Mexicali overall one pool six games total 56,465 average 9411

MEXICO

Mexico overall three pools 19 games total 235,262 average 12,382

6. SOUTH KOREA

SEOUL

First Round 2017 total 52,286 average 8714

Seoul overall one pool six games total 52,286 average 8714

SOUTH KOREA

South Korea overall one pool six games total 52,286 average 8714

7. TAIWAN

TAICHUNG

First Round 2013 total 67,180 average 11,197

Taichung overall one pool six games total 67,180 average 11,197

NEW TAIPEI CITY

Qualifier Round 2012 total 31,456 average 5243

New Taipei City overall one pool six games total 31,456 average 5243

TAIWAN

Taiwan overall two pools 12 games total 98,636 average 8220

8. PANAMA

PANAMA CITY

Qualifier Round 2012 total 44,487 average 7415
                          Qualifier Round 2016 total 35,520 average 5920 down 20 %

Panama City overall two pools 12 games total 80,007 average 6667

PANAMA

Panama overall two pools 12 games total 80,007 average 6667

9. GERMANY

REGENSBURG

Qualifier Round 2012 total 16,786 average 2798

Regensburg overall one pool six games total 16,786 average 2798

GERMANY

Germany overall one pool six games total 16,786 average 2798

10. AUSTRALIA

BLACKTOWN

Qualifier Round 2016 total 7964 average 1327

Blacktown overall one pool six games total 7964 average 1327

AUSTRALIA

Australia overall one pool six games total 7964 average 1327

OVERALL BY TEN NATIONS

JAPAN THE BEST, AUSTRALIA THE WORST

1. Japan overall six pools 36 games total 936,508 average 26,014
                          2. US overall 15 pools 78 games total 1,624,117 average 22,557
                          3. Canada overall one pool six games total 103,899 average 17,317
                          4. Puerto Rico overall four pools 24 games total 348,232 average 14,510
                          5. Mexico overall three pools 19 games total 235,262 average 12,382
                          6. South Korea overall one pool six games total 52,286 average 8714
                          7. Taiwan overall two pools 12 games total 98,636 average 8220
                          8. Panama overall two pools 12 games total 80,007 average 6667
                          9. Germany overall one pool six games total 16,786 average 2798
                          10. Australia overall one pool six games total 7964 average 1327

Total 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

OVERALL BY 22 CITIES

LOS ANGELES THE BEST, BLACKTOWN THE WORST

1. Los Angeles overall two pools six games total 251,746 average 41,958
                          2. San Francisco overall one pool three games total 96,913 average 32,304
                          3. Anaheim overall one pool six games total 191,717 average 31,953
                          4. Tokyo overall five pools 30 games total 857,340 average 28,578
                          5. San Diego overall three pools 15 games total 364,291 average 24,286
                          6. Miami AND Miami Gardens overall three pools 18 games total 431,290 average 23,961
                          7. Toronto overall one pool six games total 103,899 average 17,317
                          8. Phoenix AND Scottsdale overall two pools 12 games total 206,388 average 17,199
                          9. Mexico City overall one pool six games total 92,665 average 15,444
                          10. San Juan overall four pools 24 games total 348,232 average 14,510
                          11. Fukuoka overall one pool six games total 79,168 average 13,195
                          12. Zapopan overall one pool seven games total 86,132 average 12,305
                          13. Taichung overall one pool six games total 67,180 average 11,197
                          14. Lake Buena Vista overall one pool six games total 59,988 average 9998
                          15. Mexicali overall one pool six games total 56,465 average 9411
                          16. Seoul overall one pool six games total 52,286 average 8714
                          17. Panama City overall two pools 12 games total 80,007 average 6667
                          18. New Taipei City overall one pool six games total 31,456 average 5243
                          19. Regensburg overall one pool six games total 16,786 average 2798
                          20. Brooklyn overall one pool six games total 11,846 average 1974
                          21. Jupiter overall one pool six games total 9938 average 1656
                          22. Blacktown overall one pool six games total 7964 average 1327

Total 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

PART FOUR: BY ROUND

Qualifier Round average 4468
                          First Round average 16,961
                          Second Round 24,350
                          Championship Round 39,605
                          Overall without Qualifier Round 20,951
                          Overall with Qualifier Round 17,092

QUALIFIER ROUND overall eight pools 48 games total 214,462 average 4468

FIRST ROUND overall 16 pools 96 games + 2017 First Round Tie-Breaker at Zapopan = 97 games total 1,645,263 average 16,961

SECOND ROUND overall eight pools 48 games total 1,168,810 average 24,350

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND overall four pools 12 games total 475,262 average 39,605

OVERALL TOTAL EXCLUDING QUALIFIER ROUNDS overall 28 pools 157 games total 3,289,335 average 20,951

OVERALL TOTAL INCLUDING QUALIFIER ROUNDS overall 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

1. QUALIFIER ROUND

2012 Panama City/New Taipei City/Regensburg/Jupiter total 102,667 average 4278
                          2016 Mexicali/Panama City/Brooklyn/Blacktown total 111,795 average 4658 up 9 %

2016 QUALIFIER ROUND THE BEST, 2012 QUALIFIER ROUND THE WORST

OVERALL eight pools 48 games total 214,462 average 4468

2. FIRST ROUND

2006 Tokyo/Phoenix/Scottsdale/San Juan/Lake Buena Vista total 326,629 average 13,610
                          2009 Tokyo/Toronto/Mexico City/San Juan total 453,374 average 18,891 up 39 %
                          2013 Phoenix/Scottsdale/San Juan/Fukuoka/Taichung total 356,430 average 14,851 down 21 %
                          2017 Tokyo/Miami/Zapopan/Seoul total 508,830 average 20,353 up 43 % extra tie-breaker game at Zapopan

2017 First Round in Tokyo is the second best round attendance in WBC history.

2017 FIRST ROUND THE BEST, 2006 FIRST ROUND THE WORST

OVERALL 16 pools 97 games total 1,645,263 average 16,961

3. SECOND ROUND

2017 SECOND ROUND THE BEST, 2009 SECOND ROUND THE WORST

2006 Anaheim/San Juan total 283,880 average 23,657
                          2009 Miami Gardens/San Diego total 206,180 average 17,182 down 27 %
                          2013 Tokyo/Miami total 323,773 average 26,981 up 57 %
                          2017 Tokyo/San Diego total 354,977 average 29,581 up 10 %

2009 Second Round in Miami Gardens and San Diego, measured by actual vs. anticipated attendance, is the absolute worst round attendance ever in WBC history. It was 27 % lower than 2006 Second Round in Anaheim and San Juan.

2017 Second Round in Tokyo is the best round attendance in WBC history.

OVERALL eight pools 48 games total 1,168,810 average 24,350

4. CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

2009 CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND THE BEST, 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND THE WORST

2006 San Diego total 126,603 average 42,201
                          2009 Los Angeles total 141,854 average 47,285 up 12 %
                          2013 San Francisco total 96,913 average 32,304 down 32 %
                          2017 Los Angeles total 109,892 average 36,631 up 13 %

OVERALL four pools 12 games total 475,262 average 39,605

OVERALL FOR ROUNDS

INCLUDING QUALIFIER ROUND

2006-2017 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

EXCLUDING QUALIFIER ROUND

2006-2017 28 pools 157 games total 3,289,335 average 20,951, which is better than seven MLB teams' average attendance

PART FIVE: BY YEAR

Average Attendance and Total Attendance

2006 total 737,112 average 18,900
                          2009 total 801,408 average 20,549 up 9 %
                          2012 total 102,667 average 4278
                          2013 total 777,116 average 19,926 down 10 %
                          2016 total 111,795 average 4658 up 9 %
                          2017 total 973,694 average 24,342 up 25 %

2012-2013 total 879,783 average 13,965
                          2016-2017 total 1,085,489 average 16,961

Overall without Qualifier Round total 3,289,335 average 20,951
                          Overall with Qualifier Round total 3,503,797 average 17,092

2017 AVERAGE ATTENDANCE THE BEST, 2012 AVERAGE ATTENDANCE THE WORST

First Round Tokyo/Phoenix/Scottsdale/San Juan/Lake Buena Vista total 326,629 average 13,610
                          Second Round Anaheim/San Juan total 283,880 average 23,657
                          Championship Round San Diego total 126,603 average 42, 201
                          Overall 2006 total 737,112 average 18,900

First Round Tokyo/Toronto/Mexico City/San Juan total 453,374 average 18,891 up 39 %
                          Second Round Miami Gardens/San Diego total 206,180 average 17,182 down 27 %
                          Championship Round Los Angeles total 141,854 average 47,285 up 12 %
                          Overall 2009 total 801,408 average 20,549 up 9 %

2012-2013

Qualifier Round Panama City/New Taipei City/Regensburg/Jupiter total 102,667 average 4278
                          First Round Phoenix/Scottsdale/San Juan/Fukuoka/Taichung total 356,430 average 14,851 down 21 %
                          Second Round Tokyo/Miami total 323,773 average 26,981 up 57 %
                          Championship Round San Francisco total 96,913 average 32,304 down 32 %
                          Overall 2012-2013 Including Qualifier Round total 879,783 average 13,965 down 32 %
                          Overall 2012-2013 Excluding Qualifier Round total 777,116 average 19,926 down 3 %

2016-2017

Qualifier Round Mexicali/Panama City/Brooklyn/Blacktown total 111,795 average 4658 up 9 %
                          First Round Tokyo/Miami/Zapopan/Seoul total 508,830 average 20,353 up 43 %
                          Second Round Tokyo/San Diego total 354,977 average 29,581 up 10 %
                          Championship Round Los Angeles total 109,892 average 36,631 up 13 %
                          Overall 2016-2017 Including Qualifier Round total 1,085,494 average 16,961 up 23 %
                          Overall 2016-2017 Excluding Qualifier Round total 973,694 average 24,342 up 25 %

2006 total 737,112 average 18,900

2009 total 801,408 average 20,549 up 9 %

2012-2013 Including Qualifier Round total 879,783 average 13,965 down 32 %
                          2012-2013 Excluding Qualifier Round total 777,116 average 19,926 down 3 %

2016-2017 Including Qualifier Round total 1,085,494 average 16,961 up 23 %
                          2016-2017 Excluding Qualifier Round total 973,694 average 24,342 up 25 %

OVERALL 2006-2017

Including Qualifier Round 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

Excluding Qualifier Round 28 pools 157 games total 3,289,335 average 20,951

PART SIX: BY BALLPARK

International Ballparks (12 ballparks, or 50 % of the 24 ballparks)

BIG EGG TOKYO DOME THE BEST, BLACKTOWN STADIUM THE WORST

Big Egg Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan - five pools 30 games - total 857,340 average 28,578
                          Estadio Foro Sol in Mexico City, Mexico - one pool six games - total 92,665 average 15,444
                          Estadio Hiram Bithorn in San Juan, Puerto Rico - four pools 24 games - total 348,232 average 14,510
                          Yahoo! Dome in Fukuoka, Japan - one pool six games - total 79,168 average 13,195
                          Estadio Charros in Zapopan, Mexico - one pool seven games - total 86,132 average 12,305
                          Intercontinental Stadium in Taichung, Taiwan - one pool six games - total 67,180 average 11,197
                          Estadio B'Air in Mexicali, Mexico - one pool six games - total 56,465 average 9411
                          Gocheok Dome in Seoul, South Korea - one pool six games - total 52,286 average 8714
                          Estadio Nacional Rod Carew in Panama City, Panama two pools 12 games - total 80,007 average 6667
                          Tianmu Stadium in New Taipei City, Taiwan - one pool six games - total 31,456 average 5243
                          Armin-Wolf-Arena in Regensburg, Germany - one pool six games - total 16,786 average 2798
                          Blacktown Stadium in Blacktown, Australia - one pool six games - total 7964 average 1327

TOTAL 20 pools 121 games total 1,775,681 average 14,675

Major League Baseball (MLB) Ballparks (eight ballparks, or 33 % of the 24 ballparks)

DODGER STADIUM THE BEST, SKY DOME THE WORST

Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California - two pools six games - total 251,746 average 41,958
                          AT&T Park in San Francisco, California - one pool three games - total 96,913 average 32,304
                          Angel Stadium Big A in Anaheim, California - one pool six games - total 191,717 average 31,953
                          Marlins Park in Miami, Florida - two pools 12 games - total 316,993 average 26,416
                          Petco Park in San Diego, California - three pools 15 games - total 364,291 average 24,286
                          Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona - one and a third pools eight games - total 176,169 average 22,021
                          Dolphins Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida - one pool six games - total 114,297 average 19,050
                          Sky Dome in Toronto, Ontario - one pool six games - total 103,899 average 17,317

TOTAL 12 and a third pools 62 games total 1,616,025 average 26,065

Minor League Ballparks (four ballparks, or 17 % of the 24 ballparks)

CRACKER JACK STADIUM THE BEST, DEAN STADIUM THE WORST

Cracker Jack Stadium in Lake Buena Vista, Florida - one pool six games - total 59,988 average 9998
                          Scottsdale Stadium in Scottsdale, Arizona - two-thirds of a pool four games - total 30,219 average 7555
                          Municipal Credit Union (MCU) Park in Brooklyn, New York - one pool six games - total 11,846 average 1974
                          Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Florida - one pool six games - total 9938 average 1656

TOTAL three and two-thirds pools 22 games total 111,991 average 5091

OVERALL Including Qualifier Round - 24 ballparks - 36 pools 205 games total 3,503,797 average 17,092

PART SEVEN: BY CROWD

ALL 205 CROWDS RANKED FROM LARGEST TO SMALLEST

QR = Qualifier Round, FR = First Round, SR = Second Round, CR = Championship Round

MORE THAN 50,000 - two crowds

54,846 Los Angeles CR 2009 Japan 5 South Korea 3 in 10 innings in the rain
                          51,565 Los Angeles CR 2017 US 8 Puerto Rico 0 in the rain

FROM 40,000 TO 49,999 - 21 crowds

45,640 Tokyo FR 2009 Japan 14 South Korea 2 in 7 innings
                          44,908 Tokyo FR 2017 Japan 11 Cuba 6
                          44,326 Tokyo SR 2017 Japan 8 Netherlands 6 in 11 innings
                          44,256 Phoenix FR 2013 Mexico 5 US 2
                          43,630 Los Angeles CR 2009 Japan 9 US 4 in the rain
                          43,527 Tokyo SR 2013 Japan 4 Taiwan 3 in 10 innings
                          43,428 Tokyo FR 2009 Japan 4 China 0
                          43,378 Los Angeles CR 2009 South Korea 10 Venezuela 2
                          43,179 Tokyo SR 2017 Japan 8 Israel 3
                          43,153 Tokyo SR 2017 Israel 4 Cuba 1
                          43,002 San Diego SR 2017 US 6 Dominicana 3
                          42,979 Anaheim SR 2006 South Korea 2 Mexico 1
                          42,879 Tokyo FR 2009 South Korea 1 Japan 0
                          42,696 San Diego CR 2006 Japan 10 Cuba 6 in the rain
                          42,639 San Diego CR 2006 Japan 6 South Korea 0 in the rain
                          42,314 Toronto FR 2009 US 6 Canada 5
                          41,408 Tokyo FR 2017 Japan 4 Australia 1
                          41,268 San Diego CR 2006 Cuba 3 Dominicana 1
                          40,680 Tokyo SR 2017 Netherlands 14 Cuba 1 in 7 innings
                          40,353 Tokyo FR 2006 South Korea 3 Japan 2
                          40,053 Tokyo FR 2017 Japan 7 China 1

FROM 30,000 TO 39,999 - 20 crowds

39,679 Anaheim SR 2006 South Korea 2 Japan 1
                          39,102 Tokyo FR 2017 Cuba 6 China 0
                          38,588 Tokyo SR 2013 Netherlands 6 Cuba 2
                          38,284 Anaheim SR 2006 Mexico 2 US 1
                          38,050 Tokyo FR 2017 Cuba 4 Australia 3
                          37,745 Tokyo SR 2013 Japan 16 Netherlands 4 in 7 innings
                          37,446 Miami FR 2017 Dominicana 7 US 5
                          36,952 Miami FR 2017 Dominicana 10 Colombia 3
                          35,703 San Francisco CR 2013 Dominicana 3 Puerto Rico 0
                          34,366 Miami SR 2013 Dominicana 3 US 1
                          33,683 San Francisco CR 2013 Puerto Rico 3 Japan 1
                          33,462 Los Angeles CR 2017 US 2 Japan 1 in the rain
                          32,896 Anaheim SR 2006 US 4 Japan 3
                          32,872 Miami SR 2013 US 7 Puerto Rico 1
                          32,727 Phoenix FR 2006 US 2 Mexico 0
                          32,717 Tokyo SR 2017 Japan 8 Cuba 5
                          32,463 San Diego SR 2017 Puerto Rico 6 US 5
                          31,047 Tokyo FR 2006 Japan 14 Taiwan 3 in 7 innings
                          30,595 Miami Gardens SR 2009 Puerto Rico 11 US 1 in 7 innings
                          30,301 Tokyo SR 2013 Japan 10 Netherlands 6

FROM 20,000 TO 29,999 - 20 crowds

28,181 Fukuoka FR 2013 Japan 5 Brasil 3
                          27,527 San Francisco CR 2013 Dominicana 4 Netherlands 1
                          27,388 Miami FR 2017 Dominicana 9 Canada 2
                          26,860 Fukuoka FR 2013 Cuba 6 Japan 3
                          25,846 Miami SR 2013 Dominicana 2 Puerto Rico 0
                          25,787 Miami SR 2013 Puerto Rico 4 Italy 3
                          25,599 Miami Gardens SR 2009 Venezuela 2 Puerto Rico 0
                          24,865 Los Angeles CR 2017 Puerto Rico 4 Netherlands 3 the third most disappointing crowd in WBC history
                          23,431 Taichung FR 2013 South Korea 3 Taiwan 2
                          22,580 Miami FR 2017 US 3 Colombia 2
                          22,425 Phoenix FR 2013 US 9 Canada 4
                          22,337 San Diego SR 2009 South Korea 8 Mexico 2
                          22,303 Miami FR 2017 US 8 Canada 0
                          21,288 Anaheim SR 2006 South Korea 7 US 3
                          20,821 Mexico City FR 2009 Australia 17 Mexico 7 in 8 innings
                          20,778 San Diego SR 2017 Puerto Rico 13 Venezuela 2m
                          20,179 San Diego SR 2009 Japan 6 Cuba 0
                          20,149 Mexico City FR 2009 Cuba 16 Mexico 4 in 7 innings in the rain
                          20,035 Taichung FR 2013 Taiwan 4 Australia 1
                          20,035 Taichung FR 2013 Taiwan 8 Netherlands 3

FROM 10,000 TO 19,999 - 72 crowds

19,773 San Juan SR 2006 Cuba 4 Puerto Rico 3
                          19,762 Miami SR 2013 Puerto Rico 4 US 3
                          19,736 San Juan FR 2006 Puerto Rico 12 Cuba 2 in 7 innings
                          19,692 San Juan SR 2006 Puerto Rico 7 Dominicana 1
                          19,581 Phoenix FR 2013 Canada 10 Mexico 3
                          19,501 San Juan FR 2009 Puerto Rico 5 Netherlands 0
                          19,479 San Juan FR 2009 Puerto Rico 3 Netherlands 1
                          19,413 San Juan FR 2013 Dominicana 4 Puerto Rico 2
                          19,400 San Juan SR 2006 Venezuela 6 Puerto Rico 0
                          19,303 Phoenix FR 2013 US 6 Italy 2
                          19,043 San Juan FR 2006 Puerto Rico 2 Panama 1
                          18,741 San Juan FR 2013 Puerto Rico 6 Venezuela 3
                          17,348 San Juan FR 2009 Puerto Rico 7 Panama 0
                          17,345 Miami Gardens SR 2009 Venezuela 3 Netherlands 1
                          17,209 Miami FR 2017 Colombia 4 Canada 1
                          16,993 Phoenix FR 2006 Canada 8 US 6
                          16,718 Mexico City FR 2009 Mexico 16 Australia 1 in 6 innings
                          16,637 San Diego SR 2017 Puerto Rico 3 Dominicana 1
                          16,635 San Diego SR 2017 US 4 Venezuela 2
                          16,591 Anaheim SR 2006 Japan 6 Mexico 1
                          16,575 Miami Gardens SR 2009 Venezuela 10 US 6 in the rain
                          16,521 Mexicali QR 2016 Mexico 12 Nicaragua 1 in 7 innings the largest Qualifier Round crowd in WBC history
                          16,390 San Diego SR 2017 Dominicana 3 Venezuela 0
                          15,869 Tokyo FR 2006 Japan 18 China 2 in 8 innings
                          15,744 Phoenix FR 2006 Mexico 9 Canada 1
                          15,647 Zapopan FR 2017 Puerto Rico 9 Mexico 4
                          15,570 San Juan FR 2006 Puerto Rico 8 Netherlands 3
                          15,489 Zapopan FR 2017 Mexico 11 Venezuela 9
                          15,470 Seoul FR 2017 Israel 2 South Korea 1
                          15,332 San Diego SR 2009 South Korea 4 Japan 1
                          15,184 Seoul FR 2017 Netherlands 5 South Korea 0
                          15,069 San Juan FR 2013 Dominicana 9 Venezuela 3 in the rain
                          14,974 San Juan FR 2013 Puerto Rico 3 Spain 0
                          14,832 San Diego SR 2009 Japan 6 South Korea 2
                          14,806 Zapopan FR 2017 Puerto Rico 11 Venezuela 0 in 7 innings
                          14,711 Mexicali QR 2016 Mexico 2 Czech 1
                          14,482 Miami SR 2013 Dominicana 5 Italy 4
                          14,296 Zapopan FR 2017 Italy 10 Mexico 9
                          13,891 Fukuoka FR 2013 Japan 5 China 2
                          13,728 Panama City QR 2012 Brasil 3 Panama 2
                          13,697 San Juan SR 2006 Cuba 7 Venezuela 2
                          13,412 San Juan FR 2013 Dominicana 6 Spain 3
                          13,396 Mexico City FR 2009 Cuba 5 Australia 4
                          13,290 San Juan FR 2013 Venezuela 11 Spain 6
                          13,272 Toronto FR 2009 Venezuela 7 Italy 0
                          13,224 Miami Gardens SR 2009 US 6 Puerto Rico 5
                          13,094 Toronto FR 2009 US 15 Venezuela 6
                          13,007 San Juan SR 2006 Dominicana 2 Venezuela 1
                          12,890 Tokyo FR 2009 China 4 Taiwan 1
                          12,884 Tokyo SR 2013 Cuba 14 Taiwan 0 in 7 innings
                          12,715 Mexicali QR 2016 Mexico 11 Nicaragua 0 in 7 innings
                          12,704 Tokyo FR 2009 South Korea 9 Taiwan 0
                          12,571 Tokyo FR 2009 South Korea 14 China 0 in 7 innings
                          12,559 Panama City QR 2016 Colombia 6 Panama 3
                          12,411 Toronto FR 2009 Italy 6 Canada 2
                          12,358 Toronto FR 2009 Venezuela 5 US 3
                          12,187 Zapopan FR 2017 Venezuela 11 Italy 10
                          12,000 Seoul FR 2017 South Korea 11 Taiwan 8
                          11,975 Scottsdale FR 2006 US 17 South Africa 0 in 5 innings
                          11,924 Zapopan FR 2017 Puerto Rico 9 Italy 3
                          11,814 San Juan FR 2009 Netherlands 2 Dominicana 1 in 11 innings
                          11,744 Panama City QR 2016 Panama 9 France 2
                          11,270 Mexico City FR 2009 Cuba 8 South Africa 1
                          11,083 Lake Buena Vista FR 2006 Dominicana 6 Australia 4
                          11,059 Miami Gardens SR 2009 US 9 Netherlands 3 the second most disappointing crowd in WBC history
                          10,911 New Taipei City QR 2012 Taiwan 16 Philippines 0 in 7 innings
                          10,645 Lake Buena Vista FR 2006 Dominicana 11 Venezuela 5 loudest crowd in WBC history
                          10,450 Toronto FR 2009 Venezuela 10 Italy 1
                          10,368 Panama City QR 2012 Brasil 1 Panama 0
                          10,311 Mexico City FR 2009 Mexico 14 South Africa 3
                          10,111 Lake Buena Vista FR 2006 Venezuela 2 Australia 0
                          10,101 Lake Buena Vista FR 2006 Venezuela 6 Italy 0

FROM 1000 TO 9999 - 62 crowds

9949 Lake Buena Vista FR 2006 Dominicana 8 Italy 3
                          9788 New Taipei City QR 2012 Taiwan 10 New Zealand 0 in 7 innings
                          9774 San Diego SR 2009 Japan 5 Cuba 0 in the rain
                          9335 San Juan FR 2009 Netherlands 3 Dominicana 2
                          9329 San Diego SR 2009 Cuba 7 Mexico 4 in the rain the most disappointing crowd in WBC history
                          9221 San Juan FR 2009 Dominicana 9 Panama 0
                          8531 Panama City QR 2012 Panama 6 Nicaragua 2
                          8163 New Taipei City QR 2012 Taiwan 9 New Zealand 0 in the rain
                          8099 Lake Buena Vista FR 2006 Italy 10 Australia 0 in 7 innings
                          7937 Scottsdale FR 2006 Mexico 10 South Africa 4
                          7657 San Juan FR 2006 Cuba 11 Netherlands 2
                          7613 Tokyo SR 2013 Netherlands 7 Cuba 6
                          6594 San Juan SR 2006 Dominicana 7 Cuba 3
                          6558 Mexicali QR 2016 Nicaragua 7 Czech 6
                          6337 San Juan FR 2006 Netherlands 10 Panama 0 in 7 innings no-hitter
                          6204 Panama City QR 2016 Colombia 2 Panama 1
                          6129 San Juan FR 2006 Cuba 8 Panama 6 in 11 innings
                          5829 Scottsdale FR 2006 Canada 11 South Africa 8
                          5277 Panama City QR 2012 Panama 9 Colombia 7
                          5193 Tokyo FR 2006 South Korea 2 Taiwan 0
                          5140 moved from Scottsdale to Phoenix on account of rain FR 2013 Italy 14 Canada 4
                          5017 Tokyo SR 2017 Netherlands 12 Israel 2 in 8 innings
                          4577 Tokyo FR 2006 Taiwan 12 China 3
                          4478 Scottsdale FR 2013 Italy 6 Mexico 5
                          4463 Jupiter QR 2012 Spain 9 Israel 7 in 10 innings
                          4085 Regensburg QR 2012 Canada 16 Germany 7
                          4003 Fukuoka FR 2013 Cuba 5 Brasil 2
                          3925 Tokyo FR 2006 South Korea 10 China 1
                          3919 Brooklyn QR 2016 Israel 5 England 2
                          3773 Mexicali QR 2016 Nicaragua 5 Germany 4 in 10 innings
                          3704 Regensburg QR 2012 Canada 11 England 1 in 7 innings
                          3631 Panama City QR 2012 Colombia 8 Nicaragua 1
                          3606 Seoul FR 2017 Netherlands 6 Taiwan 5
                          3287 Seoul FR 2017 Israel 15 Taiwan 7
                          3123 Fukuoka FR 2013 Cuba 12 China 0 in 7 innings
                          3110 Fukuoka FR 2013 China 5 Brasil 2
                          3019 Regensburg QR 2012 Germany 16 Czech 1 in 6 innings
                          3013 Tokyo FR 2017 Australia 11 China 0
                          2952 Panama City QR 2012 Brasil 7 Colombia 1
                          2739 Seoul FR 2017 Israel 4 Netherlands 2
                          2720 Regensburg QR 2012 Canada 11 Germany 1 in 8 innings
                          2237 Blacktown QR 2016 Australia 4 South Africa 1
                          2187 Mexicali QR 2016 Czech 15 Germany 3 in 8 innings
                          2145 Panama City QR 2016 Colombia 9 Spain 2
                          2016 Panama City QR 2016 Panama 7 France 4
                          2016 Brooklyn QR 2016 Israel 9 England 1
                          1862 Brooklyn QR 2016 Israel 1 Brasil 0
                          1806 Regensburg QR 2012 England 12 Czech 5 in the rain
                          1783 Zapopan FR 2017 Venezuela 4 Italy 3 seventh game tie-breaker
                          1766 Blacktown QR 2016 Australia 12 South Africa 5
                          1581 Jupiter QR 2012 Israel 7 South Africa 3
                          1481 Taichung FR 2013 South Korea 6 Australia 0
                          1480 Brooklyn QR 2016 England 4 Brasil 3
                          1452 Regensburg QR 2012 Germany 16 England 1 in 7 innings
                          1442 Blacktown QR 2016 Australia 11 Philippines 1 in 7 innings
                          1367 Blacktown QR 2016 South Africa 9 New Zealand 2
                          1359 Brooklyn QR 2016 England 14 Pakistan 0 in 7 innings
                          1210 Brooklyn QR 2016 Brasil 10 Pakistan 0 in 7 innings
                          1183 Jupiter QR 2012 Spain 13 South Africa 3
                          1168 New Taipei City QR 2012 New Zealand 12 Thailand 2
                          1113 Taichung FR 2013 Netherlands 4 Australia 1
                          1085 Taichung FR 2013 Netherlands 5 South Korea 0

LESS THAN 1000 - eight crowds ALL IN QUALIFIER ROUND

975 Jupiter QR 2012 Spain 8 France 0
                          923 New Taipei City QR 2012 Philippines 8 Thailand 2
                          922 Jupiter QR 2012 South Africa 5 France 2 in 11 innings in the rain
                          852 Panama City QR 2016 France 5 Spain 3
                          814 Jupiter QR 2012 Israel 4 Spain 2
                          623 Blacktown QR 2016 New Zealand 17 Philippines 7 in 8 innings
                          529 Blacktown QR 2016 South Africa 7 New Zealand 1
                          503 New Taipei City QR 2012 New Zealand 10 Philippines 6 in the rain smallest crowd in WBC history

SUMMARY OF LARGEST AND SMALLEST CROWDS

MORE THAN 40,000 - THE 23 LARGEST CROWDS

LOS ANGELES THE BEST

54,846 Los Angeles CR 2009 Japan 5 South Korea 3 in 10 innings in the rain
                          51,565 Los Angeles CR 2017 US 8 Puerto Rico 0 in the rain

45,640 Tokyo FR 2009 Japan 14 South Korea 2 in 7 innings
                          44,908 Tokyo FR 2017 Japan 11 Cuba 6
                          44,326 Tokyo SR 2017 Japan 8 Netherlands 6 in 11 innings
                          44,256 Phoenix FR 2013 Mexico 5 US 2
                          43,630 Los Angeles CR 2009 Japan 9 US 4 in the rain
                          43,527 Tokyo SR 2013 Japan 4 Taiwan 3 in 10 innings
                          43,428 Tokyo FR 2009 Japan 4 China 0
                          43,378 Los Angeles CR 2009 South Korea 10 Venezuela 2
                          43,179 Tokyo SR 2017 Japan 8 Israel 3
                          43,153 Tokyo SR 2017 Israel 4 Cuba 1
                          43,002 San Diego SR 2017 US 6 Dominicana 3
                          42,979 Anaheim SR 2006 South Korea 2 Mexico 1
                          42,879 Tokyo FR 2009 South Korea 1 Japan 0
                          42,696 San Diego CR 2006 Japan 10 Cuba 6 in the rain
                          42,639 San Diego CR 2006 Japan 6 South Korea 0 in the rain
                          42,314 Toronto FR 2009 US 6 Canada 5
                          41,408 Tokyo FR 2017 Japan 4 Australia 1
                          41,268 San Diego CR 2006 Cuba 3 Dominicana 1
                          40,680 Tokyo SR 2017 Netherlands 14 Cuba 1 in 7 innings
                          40,353 Tokyo FR 2006 South Korea 3 Japan 2
                          40,053 Tokyo FR 2017 Japan 7 China 1

TOKYO THE BEST

ELEVEN in Tokyo
                          FOUR in Los Angeles
                          FOUR in San Diego
                          ONE in Anaheim
                          ONE in Phoenix
                          ONE in Toronto

SEVEN in CR - Championship Round
                          SEVEN in SR - Second Round
                          EIGHT in FR - First Round

UNDER 1000 – THE EIGHT SMALLEST CROWDS

NEW TAIPEI CITY THE WORST

975 Jupiter QR 2012 Spain 8 France 0
                          923 New Taipei City QR 2012 Brasil 10 Pakistan 0 in 7 innings
                          922 Jupiter QR 2012 South Africa 5 France 2 in 11 innings in the rain
                          852 Panama City QR 2016 France 5 Spain 3
                          814 Jupiter QR 2012 Israel 4 Spain 2
                          623 Blacktown QR 2016 New Zealand 17 Philippines 7 in 8 innings
                          529 Blacktown QR 2016 South Africa 7 New Zealand 1
                          503 New Taipei City QR 2012 England 4 Brasil 3

JUPITER THE WORST

THREE in Jupiter
                          TWO in Blacktown
                          TWO in New Taipei City
                          ONE in Panama City

ALL EIGHT in QR

Philip Lowry
                          Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• SEEKING RENAISSANCE OF 2021 WBC FORUM

Nutt, you started our 2021 WBC forum on March 6, 2017 and it has been very successful, with 132 posts. However, other than mine, there have been no posts since April 18, 2019. No posts for the past five months. What can we do to reinvigorate this forum? PLowry
                            Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• NUTT'S BOLD 2021 VENUE PREDICTIONS IN POST #12

When Nutt posted his bold 2021 WBC venue predictions in Post #12, on March 10, 2017, he challenged other 2021 WBC posters to compare his predictions to theirs. Here are my predictions.

FIRST ROUND Pool A: Nutt predicted Seoul, South Korea. But in March 2017, Seoul hosted a First Round pool which drew the lowest attendance ever for a WBC First Round pool. In place of Seoul, South Korea, I would choose Tokyo, Japan.

FIRST ROUND Pool B: Nutt predicted someplace in Europe. But unfortunately there is no European city with a large enough ballpark and a high level of interest in baseball. Rotterdam, Netherlands has Neptunus Family Stadium seating 2460. Nettuno, Italy has Stadio Steno Borghese seating 8000. Nettuno might be considered for the Qualifier Round, but Italy starts in the First Round, not in the Qualifier Round. In place of someplace in Europe, I would choose Miami, Florida.

FIRST ROUND Pool C: Nutt predicted San Juan, Puerto Rico. But San Juan has already hosted four pools with moderate attendance. In place of San Juan, I would choose a brand new ballpark, Estadio Nacional Edgar Renteria in Barranquilla, Colombia.

FIRST ROUND Pool D: Nutt predicted Phoenix, Arizona or somewhere in Mexico. But one of the WBC's strongest teams, Dominicana, has never hosted yet. They are the 2013 WBC Champion. In place of Phoenix or Mexico, I would choose Estadio Quisqueya Juan Marichal in Santo Domingo, Dominicana.

SECOND ROUND Pool I: Nutt predicted Houston, Texas. I agree. Either Houston or Arlington would work, depending on whether the Astros management or Rangers management vowed to work the hardest to bring out excellent crowds.

SECOND ROUND Pool II: Nutt predicted Tokyo. But Tokyo is the leading WBC city in attendance. I would choose Tokyo for both the First Round and the Championship Round. I would choose either Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles or Angel Stadium in Anaheim. They have both drawn very well in past Classics.

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND: Nutt predicted either Seattle or Anaheim. I would choose Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan.

What predictions do the rest of you WBC posters have?
                              Last edited by PLowry; 09-26-2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Cutchemist

On Post #16, you advocate having Panama host a Qualifier for the third consecutive time. In the interest of introducing new blood to the Tournament, I advocate moving the Qualifier from Panama to Nicaragua. In 2012, Panama averaged only 7000 + fans. In 2016 Panama did worse, averaging only 5000 + fans. It would be better in my opinion to have Nicaragua host in 2020. Managua's newly renovated Estadio Nacional Dennis Martinez seats 15,000, with 4000 additional berm seating.

PLowry
                                Last edited by PLowry; 09-16-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X