2019 WBSC Premier 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 WBSC Premier 12

It's time to look towards the 2nd edition of the biggest International Baseball event on the WBSC's calendar. Will it stay in Asia? I expect it to. Will MLB allow its players to participate? I don't think so. Will it be the only Olympic Qualifier? I hope not. If history repeats itself, then we can't expect much news about this event and even MLB will need to be reminded of its existence. At this moment Australia has replaced the Dominican Republic; see new rankings. If I remember correctly, the field will be decided at the end of 2018 when the year end WBSC rankings will be revealed.

Was the 2015 edition broadcasted in the states?

Comment

Originally posted by gianc006 View Post
      Was the 2015 edition broadcasted in the states?
      Only if you count YouTube live streaming.

Comment

Perhaps the 2019 Premier 12 will not be the exclusive Olympic Qualifier.

The Confederation of European Baseball and the German Baseball and Softball Federation (DBV) have agreed on moving the 2018 European Baseball Championship to 2019 to serve as a pre-qualifier for the Olympic Qualification Tournament of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

The rescheduling comes after a demand from the World Baseball Softball Confederation which is currently working on the Olympic Qualification system. Still to be confirmed, the qualification process for European teams would get through a March 2020 6 teams OQT gathering the best team from Africa and the first five teams of the 2019 EBC. The OQT runner-up would get a second chance to go to Tokyo by participating to a final OQT with teams from other regional qualification tournaments.
        Source: http://www.mister-baseball.com/europ...-change-final/

Comment

Originally posted by SouthwestAmAZins View Post
          Perhaps the 2019 Premier 12 will not be the exclusive Olympic Qualifier.

Source: http://www.mister-baseball.com/europ...-change-final/
          Yes, I had read that too! However, with Baseball having difficulty getting traction in Europe, I don't understand the EBC's willingness to sacrifice two European Baseball Championships (2018 & 2020) for an Olympic Qualifier in 2019? It seems to me that marquee international tournaments like the European Championships promotes baseball better than a European team competing in the Olympic tournament that few Europeans will even have a chance to watch on TV.

Comment

The WBSC should just incorporate the existing EBC into the Olympic Qualifiers. The IOC hamstrung them [WBSC] by reducing the Olympic tournament to six teams, but they will have to figure out a fair way for all of their federations to participate in the qualifying process. Not saying that all of the WBSB members will participate, but they should at least have the opportunity made available to them.

Comment

WBSC awards Premier12 2019/Olympic Qualifier hosting rights to Japan’s NPB for 2nd Round and Finals

Source: http://www.wbsc.org/news/wbsc-awards...nd-and-finals/

Comment

The Chinese Professional Baseball league(Taiwan) Players Association is boycotting all Chinese Taipei Baseball Association future events. Not to sure how long the boycott will last but I don't think it will end anytime soon as the CPBLPA and CTBA have been going at it for a while. I'm curious to see if the boycott continues how that will affect the Premier 12 Taiwanese team.
                http://cpblstats.com/cpbl-players-un...e-ctba-events/

Comment

I expect the CPBL to dig in its heels; they want to control the administration of the Senior National Team. So, there is a very good chance of Taiwan's Premier 12 team not having any CPBL players participating.

Comment

According to WBSC President Fraccari:

After meetings, I can say that Mexico is ready to host a round of the Premier12 2019. We will keep working on details
                    https://twitter.com/WBSCPresident/st...03124911525889

Comment

Originally posted by SouthwestAmAZins View Post
                      According to WBSC President Fraccari:

https://twitter.com/WBSCPresident/st...03124911525889
                      Interesting. I'm actually really surprised. Speaking of which, the 12th spot in the rankings is up for grabs next year because their is no European Baseball Championship and Italy isn't participating in any World Cups. With U23 World Cup and Central and Caribbean Games next year(Though IDK if they rank that as a major or minor Multi-Sport Championship) we could see Nicaragua, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic and Panama battle it out. Though the Czechs would have to do well in the U23 World Cup to pull that off. And DR and Panama would have to be in the top 4 in the U23 World Cup Qualifier this month. 11th spot might be up for grabs too depending on if Puerto Rico makes the U23 World Cup along with DR and Panama.

Comment

The latest and much maligned WBSC rankings reveal that Italy is out and the Dominican Republic is in; for now. With initial news about Japan and Mexico hosting, how will the tournament work? It sounds like the WBC all over again. If this is the case, then I expect the Mexico group will start a few days before the Japan group; the opposite of the WBC's latest format. I expect grouping to look like the following if the current top 12 holds up:
                        A B
                        1-USA 2-Japan
                        5-Mexico 3-South Korea
                        7-Canada 4-Cuba
                        10- Puerto Rico 6-Taiwan
                        11-Venezuela 8- Australia
                        12-Dominican Republic 9-Netherlands
                        Strictly based on rankings. like most WBSC event grouping is determined would look like:
                        A B
                        1-USA 2- Japan
                        3- South Korea 4-Cuba
                        5-Mexico 6- Taiwan
                        7- Canada 8-Australia
                        9- Netherlands 10- Puerto Rico
                        11- Venezuela 12- Dominican Republic
                        Which will the WBSC choose?
                        Last edited by SouthwestAmAZins; 03-05-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Sources from CTBA (Chinese Taipei Baseball Association)
                          2019 P12 will be held in Korea, Mexico, Taiwan and Japan.
                          For the first stage, the 12 teams were divided into 3 groups of 4. Each team played 3 games in a round robin format in Korea, Mexico, and Taiwan.
                          The top 2 teams from each group then advanced to a super round tournament held in Japan.
                          Two spots will be available for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics among 12 competitors
                          for the top standing American country and Asian country (except Japan, including Australia).

Comment

chendd was correct, Taiwan is to sign a contract to hold a Premier 12 preliminary event

Source: http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aspt/201808060031.aspx

Comment

chendd rocks! Got the Taiwan and Olympic qualifier for the Premier 12 down.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X