Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Else Here Think Sabermetrics is a Sham?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by northside
    Yes I did read the rest of it. There is a difference between baseball and statistics.

    Which Matt has already addressed.

    I played baseball, and I ACTUALLY used statistics to play better..

    My batting average in high school was consistently about .260, needless to say, I wasn't a great hitter, and I had almost no power.. However, I looked into my stats and realized the only way I could make a better contribution would be to move me to centerfield, put a guy with more power in Left (my previous position) and definately take more pitches.... My senior year I hit .260 and had an OBP nearing .400.(boy, it hurt too, i led the team in HBP as well)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by EvanAparra
      Which Matt has already addressed.

      I played baseball, and I ACTUALLY used statistics to play better..

      My batting average in high school was consistently about .260, needless to say, I wasn't a great hitter, and I had almost no power.. However, I looked into my stats and realized the only way I could make a better contribution would be to move me to centerfield, put a guy with more power in Left (my previous position) and definately take more pitches.... My senior year I hit .260 and had an OBP nearing .400.(boy, it hurt too, i led the team in HBP as well)
      That shows just what kind of character you have. You took the intitiative to do what it took to improve. As a coach, I would love to have a squad full of men with your attitude.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by northside
        That shows just what kind of character you have. You took the intitiative to do what it took to improve. As a coach, I would love to have a squad full of men with your attitude.
        except my coach took my suggestion as me trying to coach the team myself, what a jerk.

        p.s. thanks.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by EvanAparra
          except my coach took my suggestion as me trying to coach the team myself, what a jerk.

          p.s. thanks.
          You know, that doesn't surprise me. He felt one-upped, when in fact he should have taken inventory of himself to see how he could improve as a coach. What kills me is imagine if he's that shallow regarding that incident, what else may he have needed room for improvement in?

          Do you still play at all?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by northside
            You know, that doesn't surprise me. He felt one-upped, when in fact he should have taken inventory of himself to see how he could improve as a coach. What kills me is imagine if he's that shallow regarding that incident, what else may he have needed room for improvement in?

            Do you still play at all?
            We had great talent, 3 consecutive district championships... I think if he would have put more attention into the stats we would have been even better... Hunches can only take you so far, which is what got me into Sabrmetrics in the first place.

            I go to UT, so I since I cant make the team, im trying out for the club team come spring.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by EvanAparra
              We had great talent, 3 consecutive district championships... I think if he would have put more attention into the stats we would have been even better... Hunches can only take you so far, which is what got me into Sabrmetrics in the first place.

              I go to UT, so I since I cant make the team, im trying out for the club team come spring.
              Congratulations on your H.S. success.

              Is there anyway you can possibly make the UT team? Can you get outside coaching?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by northside
                Congratulations on your H.S. success.

                Is there anyway you can possibly make the UT team? Can you get outside coaching?
                No possible way. Team was ranked #1 in the Nation most of last year, 2 National Championsips in the last 4 years... A lot of the guys they have are pro-projected players. Maybe if I was as big as they are, i'd give it a shot (and I even have a personal connection to Coach Garrido), but they are just too good.
                Therefore, I'll just concentrate on the club team.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by EvanAparra
                  No possible way. Team was ranked #1 in the Nation most of last year, 2 National Championsips in the last 4 years... A lot of the guys they have are pro-projected players. Maybe if I was as big as they are, i'd give it a shot (and I even have a personal connection to Coach Garrido), but they are just too good.
                  Therefore, I'll just concentrate on the club team.
                  I see. Are you interested in a career in baseball in some other context?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by northside
                    I see. Are you interested in a career in baseball in some other context?
                    I hope the mod doesnt get mad for this off-topic banter, sorry Ubiquitous!

                    Yeah, I'd like to be in the day-to-day baseball operations of a ML team.. Or at least thats what i'm working towards... I'm currently applying for interships with MLB teams for the spring.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      As well as you know anyone else. I do know that if you could play baseball as well as Beethoven could write music, you probably wouldn't be spending that much time on boards
                      I can't even play baseball as well as Schroeder can play the piano.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by northside
                        I can't even play baseball as well as Schroeder can play the piano.
                        So what was your point then?
                        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

                        Comment


                        • What was my point? That baseball doesn't have much in common with meteorology. What's your point. That you don't know the first thing about me, but you're acting like you do?

                          Comment


                          • If you read the entire post rather than fixating on the first line, you would know that I was not comparing the playing of baseball to the weather...but you're apparently not developed enough in your reading comprehension.

                            Comment


                            • Stop with the personal insults. If you have a problem with me, shoot me a PM and we can take it from there. I think that would be the best thing to do. Fair enough?

                              Comment


                              • Northside, I probably side with you more than anyone else here. I could write an epic drawn-out piece about how beautiful the game of baseball is. How nothing else can compare. The smell of the grass and leather, the sounds, the feel of not feeling the ball squarely meet the bat and watching it backspin off...knowing its gone. Nothing compares to baseball. I think however, that you were out of line in your attack of Matt's comparison. Of all the "stat guys" that I've seen post here and talked to in real life, he seems to "get it" more than any. Realizing that everything will never be able to be accounted for through numbers, so his goal is to come as close as possible while always searching for newer, more accurate ways to capture on-field happenings. I grew up playing and still play. Never had time for the stat side of things but I respect those whose love for the game is expressed through that avenue. Provided they take Matt's approach that is.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X