• Relative OPS??

Is Relative OPS a real stat?

I kno to get Rel. Ba its Ba/LgBa

Rel. Ob is OB/LgOB

Rel. Slg is Slg/LgSlg

so why not

Ops/LgOps

And if so is it a useful stat?
    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

OPS+ at www.baseball-reference.com

100 * (OBP / lg OBP + SLG / lgSLG -1)

100 is average

Comment

Ok so Rel. Ops is basically OPS+

And why the -1 in the equation?
      "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

The minus one is because you are adding two numbers that are both based on a 100 point scale and then you wish to have a final number on a 100 point scale as well.

Each part of the equation is seperate and then added together. So a player who is 8% better then league average in OBP would have a rel OBP of 108 and if he was 15% better in SLG then he would have a 115. Add the two together and you get 223. Subtract 100 and you get 123. Now one thing to remember is that OPS+ is not a % stat. Meaning that player's OPS+ isn't 23% better then average, his components % when added come to 23% but that doesn't mean he is 23% betten then average.

For example let say the lg average is .300 in OBP and .400 in SLG, and player A has .350 and .450. His OPS is 14% better then average, but his components are 17% and 13% better respectively. SO his OPS+ would not be 114 but 129.

Comment

Doesn't the OPS+ used at baseball-reference also include a park adjustment when finding the league averages?

Comment

Yes Bref does that

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X