X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by Guru212 View Post
    What program do the guys on TV use to come up with all the obscure stats for random situations? I know they cant be flipping through thousands of numbers and adding them up.
    Much of what we hear from these broadcasters comes fro the Elias Sports Bureau. They supply the media with historical and statistical info.
    They are the best, they have stats and records that we can't even think of, they have more than most other organizations.
    As far as I know they do not supply much in the way of stats to individuals, only print media and TV.
    I wish they would open up, get something going on the internet, for the public. I don't think they have done so as of yet. I phoned their office in NY about a year ago, inquired. At that time they said they had no plans to open up to the public.
    I wish they would, they have it all, maybe more profitable for them to supply the media and not the public. They do have a yearly record book, it's the best book out there dealing with records.

Leave a comment:

• Guru212
    replied
    What program do the guys on TV use to come up with all the obscure stats for random situations? I know they cant be flipping through thousands of numbers and adding them up.

Leave a comment:

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    Great Product, tho' not available for a MAC.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    It doesn't help that Sinins' bullheadedly refuses to let you access the data by HoF status.

Leave a comment:

• Chicoutimi CP
    replied
    I love it too. Another small thing : for those who like Runs Created, Lee doesn't use the same formula as Bill James. I think he uses an older one. So it shows on « RC/27 outs » and ultimately on « OWP », but it's still a fantastic tool. I do less and less queries on the Lahman's database, but keeps downdoaling it too anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Aubry
    replied
    Sinins Encyclopedia

Does anyone here have it? I'm considering buying it, and I want to know if anyone has it, and their opinions on it.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by worteo
    Is this product worth it?
    I like it, can't do it all but can any other system or method do it all. Easy to find stats by hitters/pitchers by left/right handed, height, weight, hitters/pitchers cumulative stats over the years, team stats, league stats. A feature called seasons with that gives number of seasons with a level of reaching numbers such as seasons with a specific number, examples.... number of seasons a hitter reached .600 slugging, 100 or more EBH'S, yearly awards and probably lots that I did not list above.

Best feature, easy, simple to use.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    One of the most aggravating aspects of it is that it is not easy to export its data to other products. You can do it but is a pain. Some others are: it doesn't tabulate OPS+ like BRef and pretty much everybody else does. Nor does it allow you to enter in specific kinds of streaks. Like who had the most hits in any 5 year stretch, who hit the most homers from rookie season to 4th season so on and so on.

Other then that it is a very good product for quickly answering all kinds of questions. I don't buy it every year. I have bough it twice and I will probably wait another two years to buy it again.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    The Lee Sinins product, though aggravating at times, is well worth the money.

Leave a comment:

• Skin & Bones
    replied
    Originally posted by tigersfan
    To be honest, probably not. You can get most of the information in there (maybe even all of it?) on many websites but espically http://www.baseball-almanac.com (sister site of this one). There is even some information on there that is NOT in the book.
    I think he means Lee Sinins product.

http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com/

Leave a comment:

• tigersfan
    replied
    To be honest, probably not. You can get most of the information in there (maybe even all of it?) on many websites but espically http://www.baseball-almanac.com (sister site of this one). There is even some information on there that is NOT in the book.

Leave a comment:

• worteo
    replied
    Complete Baseball Encyclopedia

Is this product worth it?

Leave a comment:

• barzilla
    replied
    I love it, like others have said, you have to go to other sites to get advanced fielding metrics, but other than that it's indepensible.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    It may not do it all but it does a good number of things, is easy to navigate and it's fast. All around, cheap and a great tool to have around

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    I still haven't figured out a way to get my access to sort based on 5 best seasons or even first 8 or anything like that. If I do that I have to do it manually, which means I don't look into things like that very often on a large scale.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X