Career singles for "The Babe"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career singles for "The Babe"

I've been looking and looking on the web to find out how many singles Ruth hit in his career. Does anybody out there know?

Thanks,

Denny

Originally posted by Denny La Rowe
    I've been looking and looking on the web to find out how many singles Ruth hit in his career. Does anybody out there know?

Thanks,

Denny
    Well,
    looks a lot like 1517
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Babe Ruth had 1517 singles in his career. He's not even in the MLB Top 100 career leaders in that category.
      « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Comment

Originally posted by Chicoutimi CP
        Babe Ruth had 1517 singles in his career. He's not even in the MLB Top 100 career leaders in that category.
        Kind of exemplifies hit greatness, doesn't it?
        THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Bill Mazeroski had more singles than Ruth! (He must be a Hall-of-Famer!)
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Let that be a lesson...you can do a lot more with power than with contact.

Comment

That means that approximately 47.2% of all of the Babe's hits were for extra bases. That has to be one of the highest percentages (of course, within a certain minimum parameter) ever. However, a cursory look produced two sluggers with even better EBH percentages. One you would probably guess, but the other was a bit of a surprise to me. So far, 49.2% of all of Barry Bonds' hits have been for extra bases. Hank Greenberg also had a higher percentage, although with a lot fewer at bats, than Ruth with 48%.

Comment

Low average, high walk, high homer guys probably have high %. The so called 3 true outcome type players. Rob Deer, Dave Kingman, Inky, and so forth.

Doing a quick check, Kong at 45%, Deer at 46%, and Inky at 40%. When I get home I can do it with a database to find the highest 10.

Mcgwire is at 51.7%

Comment

There have in the entire history of baseball been only 4 players as of right now that have managed to his more extra base hits then singles. Though I did set the criteria at at least 100 hits (over 4,000 players), and 3 of the 4 players are still active. Mark McGwire is the king of the extra base hit with 56 more xbh then singles and 51.7% of all his hits being extra bases. He is followed by Adam Dunn, Bobby Estalella, and Russel Branyan. Bobby actually has a slightly higher % of his hits going for extra bases at 52.3%.

If we use 500 hits as a cutoff then the top 20 from best to worst is:

Mark McGwire
                  Adam Dunn
                  Barry Bonds
                  Carlos Delgado
                  Hank Greenberg
                  David Ortiz
                  Troy Glaus
                  Babe Ruth
                  Gorman Thomas
                  Jim Thome
                  Brian Daubach
                  Rob Deer
                  Albert Belle
                  Richie Sexson
                  Mike Schmidt
                  Lance Berkman
                  Darryl Strawberry
                  Dave Kingman
                  Greg Vaughn
                  Manny Ramirez

Thats 51.7% to 44.9%

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                    There have in the entire history of baseball been only 4 players as of right now that have managed to his more extra base hits then singles. Though I did set the criteria at at least 100 hits (over 4,000 players), and 3 of the 4 players are still active. Mark McGwire is the king of the extra base hit with 56 more xbh then singles and 51.7% of all his hits being extra bases. He is followed by Adam Dunn, Bobby Estalella, and Russel Branyan. Bobby actually has a slightly higher % of his hits going for extra bases at 52.3%.

If we use 500 hits as a cutoff then the top 20 from best to worst is:

Mark McGwire
                    Adam Dunn
                    Barry Bonds
                    Carlos Delgado
                    Hank Greenberg
                    David Ortiz
                    Troy Glaus
                    Babe Ruth
                    Gorman Thomas
                    Jim Thome
                    Brian Daubach
                    Rob Deer
                    Albert Belle
                    Richie Sexson
                    Mike Schmidt
                    Lance Berkman
                    Darryl Strawberry
                    Dave Kingman
                    Greg Vaughn
                    Manny Ramirez

Thats 51.7% to 44.9%
                    Great research!!! Thanks.

I never, in a million years, would have guessed that Berkman would be on that list.

Comment

Berkman walks a lot, strikes out more then moderately and hits lots of doubles as well as homers. Put them altogether and thats a lot of extra bases even if with the somewhat high batting average. But yeah I never would have guessed Berkman. I would have guessed Troy Glaus and Jim Thome in a heartbeat but not Lance. Jim Thome is the modern poster child for High Walk, High Strikeout, and lots of power with a somewhat low batting average.

Comment

Jim Thome is the modern poster child for High Walk, High Strikeout, and lots of power with a somewhat low batting average.
                        If .284 is somewhat low
                        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Now who the heck would have guessed Estalella?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X