Fielding Splits Retrosheet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fielding Splits Retrosheet

I have been in correspondence with Mark Pankin, the Webmaster for Retrosheet and I asked him about adding splits for fielding to the page. This is our correspondence as of yesterday, and it looks like we're going to get them.

Shafi,

Some very good news. Due to some other delays, we found time so fielding splits will be added to the upcoming release. The initial version has home/away, day/night and monthly splits. There may be more are we get time to work on them.

Mark

At 02:07 PM 10/28/2017, you wrote:

Excellent, I'm just glad it's being considered as it would be a huge breakthrough for research.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 28, 2017, at 13:40, Mark Pankin <webmaster@retrosheet.org > wrote:

Shafi,

We have determined that we won't be able to implement your idea in the upcoming major release planned for December. We will consider it for the one next summer.

--------------------------------
    We are considering your idea as it clearly has merit. The final decision won't be made until we work on posting the major update, most likely in December, that we post after each season, including the playoffs, has been completed.

I don't know if I will get a chance to let you know how things work out since it depends on the programming that generates the pages, which I not involved with. Just take a look when the update is posted.

Mark

At 11:14 AM 10/4/2017, you wrote:

Mark,

Have a request that a few others may have asked for. Could Retrosheet please add Fielding Splits for players at Home and Away similar to the way the Batting Splits are laid out? There are a few of us researchers that are looking at doing Fielding Splits on players to see if there are huge differences in Home and Away defense for players and teams. It would also give us much more information on how parks play, and make research easier than having to scroll through the Fielding Logs.

Thanks, and get back with me at your convenience.

Shafi McCants

Originally posted by scribe114 View Post
    I have been in correspondence with Mark Pankin, the Webmaster for Retrosheet and I asked him about adding splits for fielding to the page. This is our correspondence as of yesterday, and it looks like we're going to get them.

Shafi,

Some very good news. Due to some other delays, we found time so fielding splits will be added to the upcoming release. The initial version has home/away, day/night and monthly splits. There may be more are we get time to work on them.

Mark

At 02:07 PM 10/28/2017, you wrote:

Excellent, I'm just glad it's being considered as it would be a huge breakthrough for research.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 28, 2017, at 13:40, Mark Pankin <webmaster@retrosheet.org > wrote:

Shafi,

We have determined that we won't be able to implement your idea in the upcoming major release planned for December. We will consider it for the one next summer.

--------------------------------
    We are considering your idea as it clearly has merit. The final decision won't be made until we work on posting the major update, most likely in December, that we post after each season, including the playoffs, has been completed.

I don't know if I will get a chance to let you know how things work out since it depends on the programming that generates the pages, which I not involved with. Just take a look when the update is posted.

Mark

At 11:14 AM 10/4/2017, you wrote:

Mark,

Have a request that a few others may have asked for. Could Retrosheet please add Fielding Splits for players at Home and Away similar to the way the Batting Splits are laid out? There are a few of us researchers that are looking at doing Fielding Splits on players to see if there are huge differences in Home and Away defense for players and teams. It would also give us much more information on how parks play, and make research easier than having to scroll through the Fielding Logs.

Thanks, and get back with me at your convenience.

Shafi McCants
    Awesome!

Can't wait for the DiMaggio brothers' splits, among others. Outfield splits should really reveal the park effects of those unique ballparks of the past.
    Last edited by layson27; 11-06-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Could be some interesting results!
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Looks like fielding splits are up!

Some samples:

Willie- http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...1010041955.htm
        Ozzie- http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...0010081985.htm