My issue with a lot of analytical stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
    Trevor Story - Exact type of player you seem to not like. Mashes home runs and strikes out a ton.
    Maybe because he leads the league in stolen bases right now? /s
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

The really hard core fan may agree with your take on the current playing style of MLB, but watches it anyway. But, there are very few of these folks in today's world compared to say 1949. The casual fan probably looks for something more entertaining. Fans above casual level probably still watch. My last few experiences at an MLB park were that loads of the people in the park were not even casual fans. They got their tickets at work or through a group and the game is an outing. I had to listen to social conversation all around me all game long that was almost never about baseball or the game. These people were just THERE and they didn't care what was going on, on the field except that they wanted the home team to win. But they weren't going home devastated if the team lost.

When I was a kid I sat in the bleachers at Cleveland Stadium and we talked baseball and almost everyone had a radio tuned to the local Radio call of the game. The fans were hard core and for the Indians (!!) A team with virtually no money and no hope in that era. Things are just sadly different today is all. I am sure Indian management is much more happy with a Stadium packed with oblivious fans on a social outing than they were with 7,000 hard cores rattling around 85,000 seat Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

(BTW my last few trips to an MLB ballpark were to a largely filled Angel Stadium in Anaheim.)

I also agree with the OP in his comments about the way baseball is played. If I ran a team I would of course run it by the style most likely to produce victories (walks, HRs. K's). But to simply watch teams play.... I like the idea of deeper fences, more triples, more balls hit into the field of play, fewer HR's fewer walks Fewer K's..... more fielding etc. I want the Indians to play to produce victories though.... I don't know how to reconcile this unless we could get ALL teams to lengthen fences and have more foul ground and pitch for strikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif_Eagle View Post
        The really hard core fan may agree with your take on the current playing style of MLB, but watches it anyway. But, there are very few of these folks in today's world compared to say 1949. The casual fan probably looks for something more entertaining. Fans above casual level probably still watch. My last few experiences at an MLB park were that loads of the people in the park were not even casual fans. They got their tickets at work or through a group and the game is an outing. I had to listen to social conversation all around me all game long that was almost never about baseball or the game. These people were just THERE and they didn't care what was going on, on the field except that they wanted the home team to win. But they weren't going home devastated if the team lost.

When I was a kid I sat in the bleachers at Cleveland Stadium and we talked baseball and almost everyone had a radio tuned to the local Radio call of the game. The fans were hard core and for the Indians (!!) A team with virtually no money and no hope in that era. Things are just sadly different today is all. I am sure Indian management is much more happy with a Stadium packed with oblivious fans on a social outing than they were with 7,000 hard cores rattling around 85,000 seat Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

(BTW my last few trips to an MLB ballpark were to a largely filled Angel Stadium in Anaheim.)

I also agree with the OP in his comments about the way baseball is played. If I ran a team I would of course run it by the style most likely to produce victories (walks, HRs. K's). But to simply watch teams play.... I like the idea of deeper fences, more triples, more balls hit into the field of play, fewer HR's fewer walks Fewer K's..... more fielding etc. I want the Indians to play to produce victories though.... I don't know how to reconcile this unless we could get ALL teams to lengthen fences and have more foul ground and pitch for strikes.
        When I was a kid going to old Tiger Stadium I never saw a sold out game. I attended the game where they retired Hal Newhouser's number and it was half full. Going to games later when the Tigers were good, yes there were more people who had no idea how to enjoy baseball, but they were there and they cheered when they were supposed to. And it was a better experience because it was a full stadium.

Now I am in Boston and I go to games at Fenway. Most people expect it to be full of diehards, but actually they are diehard only in the sense that they know who they are supposed to cheer for. With the huge international university/medical community in the greater Boston area you have so many people who have never seen a game before who are going because that is what you do in Boston, and cheering for the Red Sox because that is what you do. And I love it.
        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

There are also many a dull games in today's MLB, such as the Cubs-Brewers game today. The wind was blowing in, and both teams tried the impossible. Inning after inning of fly balls caught up in the wind with neither team able to manufacture a run with their slow, muscle-bound players. It went 15 innings before Contreras finally hit one out to end it. 5 hours of anesthesia was the best way to put it.

I played two tabletop games this afternoon which were much more entertaining than the one on the radio. The 1964 White Sox beat the 1968 Tigers 3-2 with Gary Peters besting Earl Wilson. Then, the 1966 Dodgers beat the 1970 Reds 2-0 on a Claude Osteen shutout over Jim McGlothlin and two relievers. All 3 Chisox runs were manufactured with small ball measures.

1st inning: Don Buford leadoff double which was really a long single that he stretched into a double with speed. Floyd Robinson advanced Buford to 3rd on a 3-1. Ron Hansen plated Buford on a 4-3 grounder hit deep enough to score.

5th inning: Jim Landis was hit by a pitch. Tommy McCraw reached on a fielding error at second by Dick McAuliffe. Mike Hershberger drove Landis home with a single.

8th inning: Gary Peters hit a leadoff double (he was a great hitting pitcher). Al Weis (defensive replacement for Buford at second) sacrificed Peters to 3rd. Pete Ward hit an infield single that scored Peters.

The Dodgers scored their two runs in the sixth inning on a Tommy Davis single, a Lou Johnson walk, a John Kennedy sacrifice, an Osteen Sacrifice fly to right that also advanced Johnson, and an infield single by Maury Wills.

Comment

I sat thru all 15 innings of that same game and had a ball. Most important thing was the most exciting thing: the cubs won. If you have to run out 56 pitchers to do it, I'm all in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X