OPS+ and ERA+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPS+ and ERA+

What's the minimum stat a player needs to be considered significantly better than average? Is it 110? 115?

Depends on the position. League average obviously is 100. But first basemen might average around 100 and shortstops around 90 or so.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

What's your definition of "significantly better" ? Is it top-x in the league (Jeff McNeil finishing 10th overall with a 144 OPS+ last year, for example) ? A team-best figure, though not necessarily amazing (the Yankees' James Paxton's 116 ERA+ last year) ?

Perhaps more than one standard deviation above average–not necessarily exactly 110, but I'm guessing close to it–would be considered "significantly better" ? I'm not sure if the data follows a standard bell curve, but seeing as almost everyone's OPS+ theoretically would be within two standard deviations of 100 in that case, anything above that can be considered great.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelwheels View Post
        What's the minimum stat a player needs to be considered significantly better than average? Is it 110? 115?
        Welcome to the site Steelwheels!

I'd guess catchers and middle infielders tend towards 90, up to first basemen who likely are around 115. However, these numbers vary over time. For example, in the dead ball era, first base was a defensive position for the OPS+ would be lower. In the AL of 2018/2019, the quality of AL first basemen was low, and a 115 would be good. However, the AL SS crop has been very good (Lindor, etc.) in the recent past, so the average OPS+ for SS was up.

For pitchers, make sure you differentiate between starters and relievers. Relievers who only pitch one inning need a much higher ERA+ to be considered above average. I'm guessing here, but a run of the mill 7th inning guy probably needs a 120 ERA+ to be considered decent. For a closer, I'd expect them to be in the 140+ range.
        60 games is better than none.
        July 23 can't come soon enough.
        Bring on the 2020 season.
        PLAY BALL!

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

"Significantly better"= "differentiated enough from replacement level".

Comment

Keep in mind that OPS+ indicates how much a hitter is better than league, while ERA+ indicates how much worse the league is than the pitcher. ERA- is the true companion to OPS+, though ERA+ is the much, much more popular pitching metric.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...s-vs-era-minus

Comment

So would an ERA+ of 110 be analogous to an ERA- of 90?

Comment

Originally posted by Steelwheels View Post
                So would an ERA+ of 110 be analogous to an ERA- of 90?
                No. The article uses this example- "Take 4 and 5. 4 is 80% of 5, but 5 is 125% of 4. 80% * 125% = 100%. That's why ERA- is better."

So they're basically saying in a league with an average ERA of 5.00, a pitcher with a 4.00 ERA would have a ERA+ of 125 and an ERA- of 80. (without including park effects)

Comment

I've always wished there were a defensive counterpart to OPS+ and ERA+.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                    I've always wished there were a defensive counterpart to OPS+ and ERA+.
                    I've always wished people could agree on what FREAKING STATS TO USE.
                    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X