Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Reference Buys Baseball Gauge

FWIW.

Here is Baseball-Reference.com's announcement.

This explains why the Gauge hasn't yet added 2020 statistics.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

So they bought the rights to acquire his statistics. Interesting.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
      So they bought the rights to acquire his statistics. Interesting.
      Dan went to work for Baseball-Reference two years ago. I was happy to see him "cash in" after all his hard work on Baseball Gauge. That said, I am hoping this means that Baseball Reference adopts some of the excellent tools Gauge had, not merely the data. I used Gauge extensively because there were many ways they made data available that Baseball Reference's Play Index did not. I can only hope that changes going forward because I would hate to lose one of the more useful statistical sites of the past several years.

Very happy for all involved in this acquisition. Well deserved for Dan and a lot of potential for further improvements to BR.

"It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
        Dan went to work for Baseball-Reference two years ago. I was happy to see him "cash in" after all his hard work on Baseball Gauge. That said, I am hoping this means that Baseball Reference adopts some of the excellent tools Gauge had, not merely the data. I used Gauge extensively because there were many ways they made data available that Baseball Reference's Play Index did not. I can only hope that changes going forward because I would hate to lose one of the more useful statistical sites of the past several years.

Very happy for all involved in this acquisition. Well deserved for Dan and a lot of potential for further improvements to BR.

Well BR did move their stat search engine to another site. Maybe they're planning on expanding it.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

Well BR did move their stat search engine to another site. Maybe they're planning on expanding it.
          That was a temporary separation to give users time with the transition. It is now linked to/part of the main site, where the Play Index used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
            That was a temporary separation to give users time with the transition. It is now linked to/part of the main site, where the Play Index used to be.
            Right, right. I should know, I gladly subscribe to it.

Comment

Baseball Gauge is officially dead
              Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
              http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

I noticed a few days ago that the link in my bookmarks started taking me directly to Baseball-Reference. No insult to Baseball-Reference, but the Gauge had features that Reference doesn't have that I found useful. I have written Dan a few times to make suggestions about which of those features Baseball-Reference might implement. While Dan was receptive to my entreaties, his view of the likelihood of those things being adopted was not assuring.

I would suggest if there was anything at Baseball-Gauge that you would like to see Baseball-Reference implement, that any of you also contact Sean or Dan over at Baseball-Reference and offer your suggestions. The more voices, the more likely they'll consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post
                  Baseball Gauge is officially dead
                  I have Wizardy, but I know that there have been a few changes to DRA A since the book was published. Do you know of anywhere else that DRA totals are available if the can not be seen on BBG??
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I am unaware of a source in the public sphere.

I have a Gauge download for anyone that could use it, just send me a PM and I can help.

Comment

I am unaware of a source in the public sphere.

I have a Gauge download for anyone that could use it, just send me a PM and I can help.
                      Even Wizardy did not contain career fielding DRA for all players. Just top 50 (or something) for each position. Unless somebody in the world hassthe needed data AND wants to take the time to compile career DRA totals for every player - it looks like BBG WAR is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

Even Wizardy did not contain career fielding DRA for all players. Just top 50 (or something) for each position. Unless somebody in the world hassthe needed data AND wants to take the time to compile career DRA totals for every player - it looks like BBG WAR is dead.
                        The SABR defensive index notes that it uses DRA as part of it's evaluations...any SABR members that can share 2020 #s / has access?

Comment

The SABR defensive index notes that it uses DRA as part of it's evaluations...any SABR members that can share 2020 #s / has access?
                          Maybe. Humphrys must be very upset. I know he was livid when his system which was gaining steam was passed-over for Baseball Pro's system...which they also SOMEHOW titled DRA -which I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt was an accident and not a total prick-move.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X