New Feature at Baseball Reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Feature at Baseball Reference

If you check out Baseball Reference's player pages, you'll notice a new table titled Advanced Batting. This table collects some major sabermetrics, win probability, batting ratios, batted ball data, and baserunning ratios all in one place! Some statistics new to Baseball-Reference in this table include average hit velocity, hard hit percentage, rOBA and Rbat+.
    More great changes!
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    More great changes!
    Thanks Chad, great stuff!
    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Any idea if there's a way to access Baseball Gauge WAA on Baseball Reference?

Comment

Originally posted by Stieb37 View Post
        Thanks for the heads up. Any idea if there's a way to access Baseball Gauge WAA on Baseball Reference?
        To my knowledge, none of the Gauge's content has yet been made available on BRef.
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

To my knowledge, none of the Gauge's content has yet been made available on BRef.
          Copy that. Do you think it will be?

Comment

Copy that. Do you think it will be?
            Some of the stuff from BG will - my guess is that's more in terms of features, however. I doubt that the Gauge's version of WAR/WAA will ever make it to Baseball Ref, unfortunately. I talked to Dan about this around the time that he sold it to BRef and (although Dan not only sold the BG, but is working for BRef), he didn't have high expectations for many of the things that made BG unique being ported over. Personally, I wonder if the purchase was either part of Dan's initial hiring package (i.e. non-compete) or, perhaps, if this is a small step towards the eventual absorption of Seamheads at some point.

I remain cautiously optimistic. I have no doubt that Sean's plans for BG involve more than simply killing a competitor, but BRef has tons of things going on and, like any business, have to prioritize what to do, when and in what order. BRef has traditionally prioritized providing the most in-demand content for its userbase and I doubt providing the Gauge's linear weights variations ranks at (or near) the top of that list. That said, it might be made accessible in the future. I'm just not holding my breath about an announcement this month, or even this year necessarily.

Comment

Some of the stuff from BG will - my guess is that's more in terms of features, however. I doubt that the Gauge's version of WAR/WAA will ever make it to Baseball Ref, unfortunately. I talked to Dan about this around the time that he sold it to BRef and (although Dan not only sold the BG, but is working for BRef), he didn't have high expectations for many of the things that made BG unique being ported over. Personally, I wonder if the purchase was either part of Dan's initial hiring package (i.e. non-compete) or, perhaps, if this is a small step towards the eventual absorption of Seamheads at some point.

I remain cautiously optimistic. I have no doubt that Sean's plans for BG involve more than simply killing a competitor, but BRef has tons of things going on and, like any business, have to prioritize what to do, when and in what order. BRef has traditionally prioritized providing the most in-demand content for its userbase and I doubt providing the Gauge's linear weights variations ranks at (or near) the top of that list. That said, it might be made accessible in the future. I'm just not holding my breath about an announcement this month, or even this year necessarily.
              Appreciate the response. I enjoyed BG and am sorry to see it gone but business is business. Hopefully something fills the void.

Comment

Appreciate the response. I enjoyed BG and am sorry to see it gone but business is business. Hopefully something fills the void.
                Completely agreed. It certainly did feel a welcome niche for me.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X