Name a Stat You'd like to see...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name a Stat You'd like to see...

Me and my team are building an AI/Machine Learning program for baseball... are there any stats that you'd like to see? Any use cases that you'd like to see solved? Let me know! Thanks.

# of times a player forgot how many outs there were
    They don’t think it be like it is, but it do.

Comment

That's be interesting... any others?

Comment

Measuring how many 3-2 batters swing at ball four and instead strike out.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

(1) Errors should be broken down into types - throwing errors and catching errors (at a minimum).

(2) I'd like to see "Adjusted" BA, OBP, SLG, WHIP, K9, K/BB, Error Pct and RF and RF/9, similar to how OPS+ and ERA+ are calculated. This would give greater context to those rates.

(3) I'm surprised Games Relieved has never caught on as a stat (but Games Finished did).

(4) I would like to see some sort of RBI stat that shows RBI in the context of opportunities. Whether that's RBI/AB w/ men on or something more complicated, that's fine, but it might help provide some context to simple RBI count.

I will leave metrics to others, but I just want the "basic" stats to provide more meaningful data than they already do in capturing what happened and providing some context for it.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post

(3) I'm surprised Games Relieved has never caught on as a stat (but Games Finished did).
            It's very easy to get this data via Stathead. It's just G minus GS.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

It's very easy to get this data via Stathead. It's just G minus GS.
              That's true and I've done that many times when needing the data. I just find it interesting that GF has been a longtime staple of commonly available stats but GR has not.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I would like to be able to sort platoon splits for all seasons. I am not sure if that is available. I don't seem to be able to do it on FanGraphs more than a few years back. Also, I would like to see defensive metrics split by home and road. I am posting about that on another thread. Also, baserunning value split by home and road.

Comment

Originally posted by bazbol6 View Post
                  Me and my team are building an AI/Machine Learning program for baseball... are there any stats that you'd like to see? Any use cases that you'd like to see solved? Let me know! Thanks.

For any given relief pitcher, the probability that they allow at least one run in any given complete inning. It seems to me that, for a relief pitcher, a lot of the time they are given the ball with the hope that they will pitch one inning and not allow any runs. How successful they are at this seems to me a really important statistic. Big innings are often important early on in possibly putting a game out of reach. But if a relief pitcher is given the ball in the late innings with the score still close (say tied or within one run) it is more of a small ball situation. If the pitcher is given the ball in such an inning, you want them to pitch that inning without allowing any runs. How successful they are at that seems more important than ERA, saves, holds, or blown saves for relief pitchers.

Comment

Here's a question. Outs are extremely valuable. We all know this. Partly why baserunner do not steal or gamble on taking an extra base. Every out takes away an opportunity for a homerun. So why do we not value the RC/OUT stat more? Is it included in WAR? It seems that a player who creates more runs without using as many outs should be the most valuable you can achieve. What am I missing. Not a big stat person so please help out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X