Name a Stat You'd like to see...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name a Stat You'd like to see...

Me and my team are building an AI/Machine Learning program for baseball... are there any stats that you'd like to see? Any use cases that you'd like to see solved? Let me know! Thanks.

# of times a player forgot how many outs there were

Comment

That's be interesting... any others?

Comment

Measuring how many 3-2 batters swing at ball four and instead strike out.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

(1) Errors should be broken down into types - throwing errors and catching errors (at a minimum).

(2) I'd like to see "Adjusted" BA, OBP, SLG, WHIP, K9, K/BB, Error Pct and RF and RF/9, similar to how OPS+ and ERA+ are calculated. This would give greater context to those rates.

(3) I'm surprised Games Relieved has never caught on as a stat (but Games Finished did).

(4) I would like to see some sort of RBI stat that shows RBI in the context of opportunities. Whether that's RBI/AB w/ men on or something more complicated, that's fine, but it might help provide some context to simple RBI count.

I will leave metrics to others, but I just want the "basic" stats to provide more meaningful data than they already do in capturing what happened and providing some context for it.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post

(3) I'm surprised Games Relieved has never caught on as a stat (but Games Finished did).
            It's very easy to get this data via Stathead. It's just G minus GS.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

It's very easy to get this data via Stathead. It's just G minus GS.
              That's true and I've done that many times when needing the data. I just find it interesting that GF has been a longtime staple of commonly available stats but GR has not.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X