Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post

To respond to bolded points:

1) Once again precedence seems to discount what you wrote. You defined what you personally believe is 'Major League Baseball' in other posts (post-1903 AL and NL) which is fine, but precedent does not agree with you. So instead of being hung up on thinking about the Negro Leagues being considered on par with the American and National League during the same time maybe you should think of it as being on par with the Federal League or Player's League. Leagues with a ton of Major League talent that for whatever reason did not play in the AL or NL at the time. I can accept an argument made that the Negro League of the 30's was not on par with the AL/NL of the 30's, but I CANNOT agree with the idea that the Negro Leagues of the 30's was a weaker league, so less deserving of being considered a major league, than the 1880's NL, the Federal League of 1914 or the Player's League of 1890.

2) Condescension is a great way to get calm responses for sure.

I can't tell your tone/intent here. I was legitimately thanking you for being pleasant in the latter stages of this thread.

Fine, like I've said, I don't put any of those leagues on par with 1903+ MLB. Again, it's why the overwhelming majority of baseball fans just don't think of 59 wins or 512 strikeouts as the Major League records.
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 06-20-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

I can't tell your tone/intent here. I was legitimately thanking you for being pleasant in the latter stages of this thread.

Fine, like I've said, I don't put any of those leagues on par with 1903+ MLB. Again, it's why the overwhelming majority of baseball fans just don't think of 59 wins or 512 strikeouts as the Major League records.
      Old Hoss Radbourn has a Twitter account.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

but both are now in the league leaders tables on baseball reference. Most of those leagues have been there for a long time. 59 wins (used to be 60, but historians...what're going to do) has been considered the record for a long time. Yet, for this one you wrote (and I am taking liberties here) is the direct result of 'wokeness' gone awry that is so dangerous that you felt it necessary to include a paragraph about how you protect your children from it. So what about those other leagues, why are they there?

Could it be that perhaps major league baseball actually believes that the negro leagues are at least ON PAR with 19th century baseball and the Federal League and decided to make it official?

You have been able separate out Matt Kilroy and Nolan Ryan's seasons in your head for awhile now. Why can't you do it for this?

If you want to argue that major league baseball stats for you are AL/NL 1903+ then I can accept that. There are posts here where I argue 1901 AL/NL, and am pretty blunt about how I feel about that, so we are not far off in that regard. But I never saw any of those other leagues being considered a major league as some sort of conspiracy against me, and I won't consider this one that way either.

"Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Oy vey. I can only explain it so many ways. It's part of the larger woke trend, which I hate. MLB has joined the woke movement. It reminds me exactly of the highly offensive practice of "the soft bigotry of low expectations" where in mostly white woke people think they know what black/brown people need and lower the bar for them. Any reasonable parent knows the quickest way to stunt a child's growth is to expect less of them. When the government/authorities expect less of people, they almost always get what they expect.

I'm not sorry to have started this thread, but I am done repeating myself. My thoughts on the subject are represented in this and previous posts.

Comment

I'm not sorry to have started this thread, but I am done repeating myself. My thoughts on the subject are represented in this and previous posts.
            You really didn't though. You presented your feelings and then after a bunch of other facts were presented you decided to ignore those facts and maintain your position.

You responded selectively this entire time and showed you have no interest in an actual discussion, you just want to be heard.

We hear you.

And some agree with you.

I do not.
            "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

It's part of the larger woke trend, which I hate. MLB has joined the woke movement.
              You have no idea why they did what they did. You have made an ASSUMPTION about why they did what they did. And your comments have already revealed that you have a personal bias, making it much more likely that you are seeing things that are not really there because you're so acutely focused on "wokeness." This renders the entire discussion moot, since you have not provided a single shred of evidence to support your claims about MLB's motivations here.

Comment

Some personal belief systems jolted by a simple inclusion of stats into a stat site. Unfortunate. That underbelly hasn't been exposed only in this topic, but in others too, well before B-R made that announcement.

Looking forward to B-R catching up to all of Seamheads and other overseas data. Really would like to see more data from Cuba in particular.

Does that mean I believe every league in the history of baseball are all "major leagues"? Even for people who do, that's up to them. Just because I may not, doesn't mean my shorts are going to get all im-Ball-anced when others do.

Numbers are just numbers. And for the numercially inclinded, B-R allows users to exclude any league they don't want to see. So there's absolutely no reason to complain.
                Last edited by Unconventional; 07-31-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X