Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which player has the most errors in his career?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which player has the most errors in his career?

Anyone know?
    Cristobal

Herman Long racked up 1036 from 1889 - 1904.

If you want modern era only Honus Wagner is the man with 736 errors.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

And both of those are considered outstanding major league shortstops. Herman Long may have been the best EVER!

Comment

I'm curious as to what the definition of an error was back then. The reason I bring this up is because it seems to me that once modern gloves became used the errors decreased. Fancy plays probably became more common as well. I'm just curious as to how much the glove might have affected the fielders when it came to errors and how much the definition of an error might have changed since then.

Comment

the definition of an error was in each scorer's head

Comment

Originally posted by SABR Matt
            And both of those are considered outstanding major league shortstops. Herman Long may have been the best EVER!
            And this is why I have long been forgiving of "errors". Here's my slogan.

"Errors in the service of hard plays are no vice, and error-free play, in playing it risk-free and safe, is no virtue."

Anyone get me on that?

Bill Burgess

PS. Who are our 10 most committed statmen on Fever? Anyone hazard a try?
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-10-2006, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I think I'm pretty "commited" if by committed you mean dedicated to the work.

Comment

--Not sure what that has to do with most errors but, ....I'd say it depends what you mean by committed. There are some posters who rely almost completely on numbers and some who really understand all the advanced metrics and know how to apply them. A few posters fall into both categories, but some how are all about the numbers have a limited understanding of the advanced ones and some who understand them have a more balanced approach.

Comment

I don't hang out much in this forum, but it seems to me that Matt, Dave Kent and Cubbieinexile are statmen, and I was wondering who anyone else might be. That's all I was curious about. I didn't intend for this question to get over-analyzed, processed and homogenized to smithereens.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with errors, by the way. I was detouring.

Comment

I haven't seen cubbieinexile here in almost a year. Where'd he go?

Other statheads...to varying degrees are Ubiquitus, misterdirt (although his statishness is more that he understands them, not that he swears by them as much), and barzilla...don't know if you'd call RuthMayBond a statman, but he does have some working knowledge of basic sabermetrics and interest in pursuing them, and you've got a few other less frequent posters (Chancellor, redoctober, and probably a few I'm forgetting)

Comment

Cubbieinexile has never left.

Comment

Why do I never see him post?

Comment

You do see him post all the time.

Comment

He changed screennames?

Comment

Or...would that be YOU.

Comment

Ad Widget