Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabermetrics books?

What are the best books to read on Sabermetrics? Thanks

edit: i know what you were looking for now.
    Last edited by brockforbroglio; 02-16-2008, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Here's a list to get you started:

http://www.tangotiger.net/wiki/index.php?title=Books
      Author of THE BOOK -- Playing The Percentages In Baseball

Comment

Down and Dirty DATA?

Adler's "Baseball Hacks" is THE book, imho.

I've been captivated by it for almost two months now. I have previous knowledge of the "R" language. My database knowledge started with DB 2 on a Kaypro. Now I have the essentials of Adler's "Hacks" on a cheapo Acer laptop. Vista discarded, and SuSe linux installed. (Should have gotten the $50 from big Bill, "The G man," Gates fleecing operation.) All open source is running. I'm polishing my skills and having lots of fun.

I'd like to exchange idea with anyone interested in hard core data analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango Tiger View Post
          buy this gentleman's book, easily my favorite in my baseball literature collection.

Comment

Originally posted by slugger33 View Post
            To start off I`d reccomend Baseball Between the Numbers

If you find that interesting go for Tom Tango's book.
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Check out Tango's wiki on sabermetrics, there's a section on books you can check out. I've added a couple I thought were good too.

Comment

Originally posted by slugger33 View Post
                Well "best" is subjective. But if anyone is interested in sabermetrics they should own the following books:

The Hidden Game of Baseball by Pete Palmer
                Bill James Annual Baseball Abstracts 1977-1988
                Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract
                New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract
                The diamond Appraised by Craig Wright/Tom House (very underrated book)
                Stats Inc. Scoreboard books (from the mid 1990s, these are hard to find)

These books are more of a historical reference. obviously Sabermetrics has moved forward since these books have bee published. I think the best way to keep abreast of the cutting edge sabermetirc work is to go to the sabermetric websites like Baseball Prospectus, Hardball Times, Baseball Think Factory, Tango on Baseball, etc. Shoot, Tango and SABR Matt post post great stuff here at BBF.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

It's a little trite to say, but I would say before you read anything, read Moneyball (if you haven't yet). The numbers themselves mean nothing without some context to put the whole movement into.
                  Statistically Speaking

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

I disagree on the relevance of Moneyball to Sabermetrics. Schwarz' The Numbers Game would be a better one.

But, easily the best one is The Hidden Game of Baseball, which you can get at your local library.
                    Author of THE BOOK -- Playing The Percentages In Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X