Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but try using their hack in retrosheet.org

Comment

I just started reading through the book and I think it's exactly what I need (perhaps with some additional SQL coding tutorials).

One issue I foresee is running the retrosheet files through BEVENT before importing them into a database (as one of the hacks suggests), since I can't run BEVENT on my Mac. Anyone know a way around that? Anyone want to send me the BEVENTed files?

What are the files that work with Ray Kirby's ASS software? Are they raw retrosheet files? Post-BEVENT retrosheet files? Some other type of file?

Also, has anyone used the Chadwick GUI for the retrosheet files? Thoughts?
      Beyond The Boxscore (still with some lime)

Comment

Kirby's files are in a special format that he no longer supports. You can only use the files he has already created. theres about 15 or so.

Comment

The MySQL isn't what's holding me up...I'm held up trying to understand perl and/or C++ enough to write original code to do more complex mathematical operations that MySQL can't do.

As for getting this to work on a Mac...I could have sworn he wrote on a method for working the hack on a Mac some other way...

Comment

At the end of hack 15, he mentions a program called Chadwick at http://chadwick.sourceforge.net

There are pre-built binaries of the files for windows, and source files for POSIX-like systems (Mac OS X, Linux)

I haven't taken a look at the program yet, but supposedly, it can work directly with the files from retrosheet.org. He used the DiamondWave programs instead because currently they are more stable. They are actively in development however, while the tools in the book are not.
            "Those stats show you a whole lot. But it's like that woman on the beach in a bikini. It shows you a lot, but it doesn't show you everything. I'll never be accused of taking the human element out of it."
            -- Grady Little

Comment

I've got Chadwick and in terms of getting the data it is pretty easy. All you have to have is the retrosheet zip files point chadwick at them and poof you got it. But I don't know enough about chadwick to manipulate the data like a database can. Right now the GUI is only setup to show you all Grand Slams along with normal seasonal stats, box scores, and PbP narrative. It can do more but you have to program it do it and that is the part I don't know how to do.

Comment

Baseball Hacks, King Adler Version....

I've dropped out of an applied statistics course, and spend all available time doing the Hacks.

My approach is all Linux. I couldn't get Ubuntu to load R properly, but SuSE with YaST, (Yet another Software Tool,) works well on the cheapo laptop I got from Wally world.

Adler's work is pioneering. He is to SABRmetric as Eric Clapton is to Guitar.

Cactusmitch

Comment

hi guys! i read about linux.. so here's a question.

is there any unix software capable of compiling scorecards and generate basic stats?
                  (a printable computer-written scorecard is also appreciated.. )

thank you in advance
                  lephio
                  (italy)

Comment

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm really struggling with hack #14. I've changed the code to reflect the changes at Retrosheet, but I keep getting the error message: "fetching 2007eve.zip
                    404 Not Found". Does anyone know what I need to do? I can post the code if need be. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I don't have the code in front of me but if it can't find the file then the hack isn't looking in the right place for it.

Comment

use FileHandle;

use LWP::UserAgent;
                        $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
                        $baseurl = "http://www.retrosheet.org/";

for ($year = 50; $year <= 99; $year++) {
                        my $filename = '19' . $year . 'eve' . '.zip';
                        my $url = $baseurl . '19' . $year . '/19' . $year . 'eve' . '.zip';
                        my $req = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $url);
                        my $res = $ua->request($req);
                        ---Adler, Joseph. Baseball Hacks.

There's the first little bit. I've modified it a little bit from the book to reflect the changes since the publication. I've tried it 9 or 10 different ways, but I think this one is the "closest." There are no syntax errors. I'm sure it's something very simple that I just can't figure out.

Comment

This book is really going over my head, because I decided to work on something else for awhile instead of spinning my wheels with the above script. I downloaded Chadwick, but I'm totally lost when it comes to installing it on my MacBook. I'm following the instructions but I get the following error in the command line window:

"configure: error: in `/Users/MrRed':
                          configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

Comment

The last time I played with the hacks is about 5 years ago so take it with a grain of salt but based on the coding you are posting it looks like you are leaving off the /events/ part of the retrosheet.org URL. Perhaps that is in another part of the coding but it isn't in what you posted. Also the second thing is that you have the program looking for event files taking place in the 20th century so perhaps that is why it can't find a 2007 file.

Again I haven't used it in a long time and I have no idea what the rest of the coding says so that might or might not be the answer.

Comment

I added the '/events/' but I still can't get it to work. Is it legal to post all the code, because there are many lines I left off the end?

Comment

I think that retrosheet's file system is no longer structured in a way that the hack can see...you will need to look in the hack itself and figure out where it's pointing and then change the URL to match with retrosheet's current file storing system.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X