X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Is it not downloading anything or just files that start with 20?

Can you get a 1997 file for instance?
    Well, I downloaded the code from the Baseball Hacks website and fiddled with that in an effort to bypass any transcription errors. I can now get the script to download everything, but the event files from 1950-2, 1953 AL, and 2009-10.
    Last edited by Dick Groat's syndrome; 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM. Reason: I fiddled with the code and got a few more years

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    Are there any Mac users here who have experience parsing the Retrosheet event files with Chadwick on Mac OS X? I'm starting to think that I'm the least tech-savvy person out there, because I keep hitting roadblocks at every turn.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post

It's not downloading anything. I just manually downloaded all of them.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    I have it pointed at http://www.retrosheet.org/events/

Leave a comment:

• SABR Matt
    replied
    I think that retrosheet's file system is no longer structured in a way that the hack can see...you will need to look in the hack itself and figure out where it's pointing and then change the URL to match with retrosheet's current file storing system.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    I added the '/events/' but I still can't get it to work. Is it legal to post all the code, because there are many lines I left off the end?

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    The last time I played with the hacks is about 5 years ago so take it with a grain of salt but based on the coding you are posting it looks like you are leaving off the /events/ part of the retrosheet.org URL. Perhaps that is in another part of the coding but it isn't in what you posted. Also the second thing is that you have the program looking for event files taking place in the 20th century so perhaps that is why it can't find a 2007 file.

Again I haven't used it in a long time and I have no idea what the rest of the coding says so that might or might not be the answer.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    This book is really going over my head, because I decided to work on something else for awhile instead of spinning my wheels with the above script. I downloaded Chadwick, but I'm totally lost when it comes to installing it on my MacBook. I'm following the instructions but I get the following error in the command line window:

"configure: error: in `/Users/MrRed':
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    use FileHandle;

use LWP::UserAgent;
    $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
    $baseurl = "http://www.retrosheet.org/";

for ($year = 50; $year <= 99; $year++) {
    my $filename = '19' . $year . 'eve' . '.zip';
    my $url = $baseurl . '19' . $year . '/19' . $year . 'eve' . '.zip';
    my $req = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $url);
    my $res = $ua->request($req);
    ---Adler, Joseph. Baseball Hacks.

There's the first little bit. I've modified it a little bit from the book to reflect the changes since the publication. I've tried it 9 or 10 different ways, but I think this one is the "closest." There are no syntax errors. I'm sure it's something very simple that I just can't figure out.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    I don't have the code in front of me but if it can't find the file then the hack isn't looking in the right place for it.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Groat's syndrome
    replied
    I know I'm late to the party, but I'm really struggling with hack #14. I've changed the code to reflect the changes at Retrosheet, but I keep getting the error message: "fetching 2007eve.zip
    404 Not Found". Does anyone know what I need to do? I can post the code if need be. Thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• lephio
    replied
    hi guys! i read about linux.. so here's a question.

is there any unix software capable of compiling scorecards and generate basic stats?
    (a printable computer-written scorecard is also appreciated.. )

thank you in advance
    lephio
    (italy)

Leave a comment:

• cactusmitch
    replied
    Baseball Hacks, King Adler Version....

I've dropped out of an applied statistics course, and spend all available time doing the Hacks.

My approach is all Linux. I couldn't get Ubuntu to load R properly, but SuSE with YaST, (Yet another Software Tool,) works well on the cheapo laptop I got from Wally world.

Adler's work is pioneering. He is to SABRmetric as Eric Clapton is to Guitar.

Cactusmitch

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    I've got Chadwick and in terms of getting the data it is pretty easy. All you have to have is the retrosheet zip files point chadwick at them and poof you got it. But I don't know enough about chadwick to manipulate the data like a database can. Right now the GUI is only setup to show you all Grand Slams along with normal seasonal stats, box scores, and PbP narrative. It can do more but you have to program it do it and that is the part I don't know how to do.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X