Outs made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outs made

Does anybody have a list of the players who made the most outs last season. I would supposed Reyes made the most.
    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

This isn't exact but using BRef's definition of outs Jose Reyes is indeed first followed by Juan Pierre and Jimmy Rollins.

BRef's version doesn't include ROE, it counts that as an out when no out was actually caused. It also counts GIDP as an extra out. I don't agree with that.

Comment

Cool, thanks.

I know Bbref has them, but I do you know of another site that has that info in a sortable form?
      THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Don't know about a sortable form, but you can download the data and sort it yourself. I don't have the time to actually look at the PbP data to factor in ROE and dropped third strikes but one can use the Lahman database (which I did) to find the BRef version of outs.

Comment

Who holds the single season record? Juan Samuel?
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

The SBE has this information.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I find it odd that this isn't a stat that is more widely kept/recognized. It's as basic as hits....

Code:
              CAREER
              OUTS                           OUTS 
              1    Pete Rose                 10328   
              2    Hank Aaron                 9136   
              3    Carl Yastrzemski           9126   
              4    Cal Ripken                 8893   
              5    Eddie Murray               8570   
              6    Rickey Henderson           8510   
              7    Dave Winfield              8422   
              8    Robin Yount                8415   
              9    Brooks Robinson            8340   
              10   Luis Aparicio              8110   
              11   Willie Mays                8056   
              12   Paul Molitor               8040   
              13   Rabbit Maranville          7887   
              14   Lou Brock                  7823   
              15   Ty Cobb                    7753   
              16   Stan Musial                7704   
              17   George Brett               7673   
              18   Reggie Jackson             7659   
              19   Andre Dawson               7621   
              20   Al Kaline                  7594
              21   Rafael Palmeiro            7569   
              T22  Frank Robinson             7528   
              T22  Ozzie Smith                7528   
              24   Rusty Staub                7509   
              25   Harold Baines              7482
              Single Season- I looked through these lists manually, so there might be some omissions. Correct me if I erred.

Code:
              AMERICAN LEAGUE OUTS LEADERS
              1970--Horace Clarke       542 
              1971--Sandy Alomar Sr.    536
              1964--Bobby Richardson    536
              1980--Alfredo Griffin     533
              1939--Frankie Crosetti    530
              1962--Bobby Richardson    529
              1965--Bobby Richardson    527
              1997--Brian Hunter        525
              1961--Bobby Richardson    523
              1985--Kirby Puckett       521
              Code:
              NATIONAL LEAGUE OUTS LEADERS
              1980--Omar Moreno         560
              1979--Frank Taveras       545
              1982--Omar Moreno         535
              1984--Juan Samuel         532
              1962--Ken Hubbs           532
              1974--Larry Bowa          531
              1972--Roger Metzger       528
              1975--Felix Millan        527
              1962--Bill Virdon         527
              1936--Woody Jensen        526
              That's a good trivia question even for a die hard, now that I think about it- what player holds the alltime record for outs made in one season, and what player holds the American League record?

The record for most outs made in any 5 year span is 2433 by Bobby Richardson, from 1961-65. Brock, Cash, Samuel, Carter, and Ripken aren't far behind, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                This isn't exact but using BRef's definition of outs Jose Reyes is indeed first followed by Juan Pierre and Jimmy Rollins.

BRef's version doesn't include ROE, it counts that as an out when no out was actually caused. It also counts GIDP as an extra out. I don't agree with that.
                Wait...you don't think a GIDP should count as two outs? What drugs are you on?

Comment

Another thing....awhile back Diglahh mentioned that a true testament to Ruth's greatness was ironically the fact that he isn't in the top 100 in career singles.

Which made me think...

Ted Williams is 244th alltime in career outs made. Isn't that perhaps the best testament to his greatness?

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
                    Ted Williams is 244th alltime in career outs made. Isn't that perhaps the best testament to his greatness?
                    But how much further up would he be if it wasn't for missed time due to the war (or wars in his case)?

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                      But how much further up would he be if it wasn't for missed time due to the war (or wars in his case)?
                      Well, he's still 79th alltime in PA despite all that, and his career spanned 4 decades. Just think about it- a .483 career OBP!!! True, he played in Fenway, but he also played through a long decline phase (age 42) in a strong league that wasn't particularly oriented towards offense (esp. in comparison to guys like Ruth).

Absolutely amazing he was able to sustain that kind of brillance.

Comment

Originally posted by SABR Matt
                        Wait...you don't think a GIDP should count as two outs? What drugs are you on?
                        The kind that lets me see straight. Why does the batter get penalized two outs for something that involves the runner, the fielders, the lineup, and the batter?

IF I hit a groundball with the bases empty all I get is an out. If I hit one with a man on first I get two outs. Why? Why is it that the guy who did the exact same thing that with bases empty is not penalized while the hitter with a man on gets penalized? GIDP is not inherent it needs other players. It isn't like a homer or a double where one can hit it in any spot in the order and in any base situation. If I play on a bad team and I am the leadoff hitter my opps for GIDP are going to be much smaller then a #3 hitters opps on a good teams. Plus it doesn't factor the runners on in front of you. If I have Mark Grace or Giambi batting in front of me and moving like a snail I am more likely to recieve double plays then if I had Ichiro or Craig Biggio. So again why should I penalize an individual batter for something that he has little control over?

Comment

If it has in fact been proven that batters have little control over the ability to not hit into a double play once someone is on base, I haven't seen the study (that doesn't mean it hasn't been done...I can only read so much at a time)...I was always under the impression that slugs hit into more GIDP's per ball in play than fast guys.

Comment

But a slugger can't hit into a double play unless someone is on base in front of him. The slugger cannot create the situation.

I'll ask again why is a groundball to second only worth one out to a batter if the bases are empty but worth two outs when there is a man on first. What did the batter due to cause a man on first? Nothing he did absolutely nothing. yet he gets penalized twice for the out. If the runner gets picked off or caught stealing or out on a botched hit and run and then the batter grounds out. He gets one out but if the runner stays on first he gets two outs. The second out has nothing to do with the skills of the hitter and everything to do with the scenario. It isn't a true talent level stat. Yes knowing GIDP will help explain the run scoring of that team but it does not reveal the true talent of the player. If a hitter has 600 PA and bats 3rd and grounds into 30 GIDP will he ground into 30 GIDP batting 8th? Batting first? No, because he won't have the same amount of runner on first situations in that lineup spot.

Comment

Originally posted by SABR Matt
                              If it has in fact been proven that batters have little control over the ability to not hit into a double play once someone is on base, I haven't seen the study (that doesn't mean it hasn't been done...I can only read so much at a time)...I was always under the impression that slugs hit into more GIDP's per ball in play than fast guys.
                              Rob Deer hit into very few DPs, despite not being a "bat control" guy and not being fast...between a lot of Ks and being an extreme fly ball hitter, he was able to avoid GIDPs.
                              Bill James must have some coverage of this topic...
                              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X