stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stats

I'm doing baseball statistics for my sons team. I can't find any information on how to treat hit by pitch (HBP). Do you include it in a pitcher's WHIP (walks plus hits/innings pitched? Do you include it in a hitters on base percentage (OBP)?

Originally posted by traveler
    I'm doing baseball statistics for my sons team. I can't find any information on how to treat hit by pitch (HBP). Do you include it in a pitcher's WHIP (walks plus hits/innings pitched? Do you include it in a hitters on base percentage (OBP)?
    I've never heard of HBP being included in WHIP
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

OBP percentage does use HBP. Here's the forumula:

(Hits + Walks + Hit-By-Pitch) divided by (At Bats + Walks+ Hit-By-Pitch + Sac Flys)

WHIP does not use HBP, although I bet it'd make it a more accurate stat if it did.
      Last edited by Mike D.; 03-22-2006, 09:06 AM.
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Especially if you're Cuban and therefore plunk more batters than you walk...LOL

Comment

Thank you for the help.

I have however run in to some more scoring/stat questions. So again any help is greatly appreciated.

First does anyone know of a reference book or website that gives scoring and stat rules? I have tried some online sources but they seem very basic and obviously have not answered my questions. Which are...

On a dropped third strike where the batter is thrown out at first. Is this recorded as a strike out for the pitcher? Is it an assist and a putout for the catcher and firstbaseman?

On a dropped third strike where the batter is safe at first.
          Is this a strike out for the pitcher though no out was recorded?

If the batter reached first on the dropped third strike because of a wild pitch or passed ball how is it scored?

How about if the batter reached on a throwing error by the catcher?
          If the runner eventually scores is it an earned run?

Are runs that score because of a passed ball or wild pitch earned runs?

Please enlighten me.

Comment

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of..._scorer_10.jsp
            Author of THE BOOK -- Playing The Percentages In Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X