Starting & Relief Pitching Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting & Relief Pitching Stats

Does anyone know where I can find individual pitching stats broken down by Starting and Relief appearances?

I am mainly interested in Christy Mathewson's W-L record broken down - starts vs. relief.

Originally posted by fabio61 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find individual pitching stats broken down by Starting and Relief appearances?

I am mainly interested in Christy Mathewson's W-L record broken down - starts vs. relief.
    Baseball Reference, FanGraphs, Retrosheet, for 3 places, 'might' have it, but data is not always available from prior to 1918-19. Try the stickies and you may get more sources.
    "It's better to look good, than be good."

Comment

He had a record of 26-9, with 27 Saves and a 2.41 ERA in 83 relief appearances.

This info is from the old 1969 edition of the MacMillan Baseball Encyclopedia, which routinely contained information foolishly omitted from later versions. As far as the Saves information is concerned, the stat was compiled more accurately (in my opinion) back then, and a pitcher didn't get credit for one unless he actually earned it, so by modern lowered standards, he may have had even more.

These old MacMillans can be found on eBay for ridiculously kow prices, and are an excellent acquisition, in my opinion. They also have VERY detailed pitcher batting stats, but of course the 1969 edition only covers up through the 1968 season.

Comment

Thanks for the info, OX.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X