X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by brett View Post
    What it one team is 8-9 and another is 7-8?
    Excellent point. It seems to me that the "fewer losses" theory works when the W/L records are over .500, while the team with fewer wins takes it when under .500. And it seems to make sense from a mathematical standpoint. I'm imagining we don't think about the losing records as much because we also see it happen with .500 records, for which the team with fewer losses gets the higher berth.

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
    In 1942, the 5th place NL team had 2 fewer wins than the 6th place team.
    I love this site.

Leave a comment:

• brett
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    To give a little more elaboration, in cases such as these, the team with the fewer losses tends to be ranked higher on the bottom line. As Second Base Coach intimated, the highest percentage takes the lead. For instance, a record of 13-7, also two games out in second place, but with a .650 percentage, would beat both of your second-place examples.
    What it one team is 8-9 and another is 7-8?

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    In 1942, the 5th place NL team had 2 fewer wins than the 6th place team.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
    You will sometimes see the percentage leader listed at the top of the standings when a half game behind, say 7-3 vs 9-4.
    Yes sir, I too have seen that type of thing, usually in the beginning of the season.

Leave a comment:

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    You will sometimes see the percentage leader listed at the top of the standings when a half game behind, say 7-3 vs 9-4.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by banny View Post
    Is percentage always the determining factor in baseball standings? For example, lead team is 17-7 .708
    second place team is 14-8, .636 2games back. Third place team is 15-9, .625, also 2 games back. If season ended, would second place team take second based on higher winning pct?
    To give a little more elaboration, in cases such as these, the team with the fewer losses tends to be ranked higher on the bottom line. As Second Base Coach intimated, the highest percentage takes the lead. For instance, a record of 13-7, also two games out in second place, but with a .650 percentage, would beat both of your second-place examples.

Leave a comment:

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    In a word, yes.

Leave a comment:

• banny
    started a topic standings question

standings question

Is percentage always the determining factor in baseball standings? For example, lead team is 17-7 .708
    second place team is 14-8, .636 2games back. Third place team is 15-9, .625, also 2 games back. If season ended, would second place team take second based on higher winning pct?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X